Notary Rotary
Split Signing today at Wells
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 3/7/13 9:25am
Msg #459761

The first part was completed in Aspen, CO. Sortam kinda lickandasplit. The co-borrower signed the 1003 as borrower. I don't know if this is an issue or not. He also signed the Certificate of Trust signature page intended for his sister, he has his own, which he also signed.

The Deed of Trust for a property which is located in Santa Barbara was acknowledged and modified to reflect Pitkin County, Colorado and was embossed. I don't think the County of Santa Barbara recorder will accept that so I alerted the Escrow Officer yesterday she made need to request a second acknowledgment with a "stamp seal" rather than embossed seal so as not to delay funding of this refinance. Very high profile borrower.

It's amazing to me the quality of notaries out there, and that they actually get work. Very sloppy job in completing the acks and jurats. I think she should have attached her state's certificates rather than changing all the California certificates. There are two grant deeds, DOT and the usual Trust Certs and WF jurats.

Amazing and disappointing that some notaries have no pride in their work whatsoever.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/7/13 10:14am
Msg #459770

I run into that a lot in Maryland Cheryl. Maryland has state specific documents that must be signed by borrowers/owners and everyone knows it. (At least they should) I was given 22 deeds of trust where the Settlement Agents left the document out of the package. Without the Maryland Refinance Affidavit the DOT cannot be recorded. One was so old the borrowers were selling their home so the legal department had to drive down from PA to take the completed document to the recording office. I must have put 1000 miles on my car fixing their screw ups in January. This is one of my favorite title companies so I help them when I can. I keep telling them they should deduct from the Settlement Agents fee if they leave it out, some title companies take off $25.00 if left out of pkg. What many Settlement Agents/Closing Agents don't get is this is a team effort to help the borrowers/mortgage/title Companies finalize the loan process, just doing their job isn't enough, doing it right the first time is manditory. Many just don't have any pride in what they do for a living.

Reply by Lynne on 3/7/13 10:14am
Msg #459771

I do split signings all the time and it never ceases to amaze me, the quality of work from notary #1. A recent looked like it had been dropped and then scooped up, put in envelope completely out of order. Every page was on different colors/types of white/cream colored paper. Notary blocks not filled in properly. Makes you wonder.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/7/13 10:18am
Msg #459772

By the way Cheryl I'm coming to Ojai this Saturday for a week so if you're in the area I would love to see you. Maybe meet somewhere for a drink. Tuesday/Wednesday nites are out. I'm babysitting 1/2/3. Oh My! I'm going to need a vacation after this:>}

Reply by 101livescan on 3/7/13 10:26am
Msg #459775

I'll be at my house working on my little shop of horror remodel, packing up stuff for kitchen cabinet installation. I'll be in town next week, we'll get together, I've got the perfect spot for us at the OV Inn. See you soon. Have a safe trip! Can't wait to see you!

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/7/13 10:28am
Msg #459777

Great ditto kiddo.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 3/7/13 11:21am
Msg #459788

That's interesting, Cheryl.

According to Colorado SOS Notary Public Law, "A notary shall not provide, keep or use a seal embosser."

Hmmmm ........

Reply by 101livescan on 3/7/13 11:34am
Msg #459790

Re: That's interesting, Cheryl.

Exactly my point. According to California Government Code, the Notary's Seal must be photographically reproducible, and it is NOT! and it is sloppy, and you cannot read the notary's name from her writing! Escrow officer will deal with it.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 3/7/13 2:07pm
Msg #459830

Thanks 101 & Cheryl n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 3/7/13 2:17pm
Msg #459835

Re: Thanks 101 & Cheryl

I always suspected I'd have a problem if I used my embosser without inking it, but it's nice to know for sure. If my ink stamp ever break, and I used the embosser instead, I'll be sure to ink it.

It's kind of weird that if I didn't use any seal at all, it would be technically OK, but using an uninked embosser would be wrong.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/7/13 12:23pm
Msg #459799

Well, a little twist in the outcome

EO: I just confirmed with title, the embosser is okay. Title will pencil it in and document is recordable.

Thank you for checking.

Al righty, then. I did my part.

Reply by Doris_CO on 3/7/13 3:46pm
Msg #459874

Re: That's interesting, Cheryl.

The new Colorado Notary laws have done away with the embossers for new notaries receiving their new commissions, but those of us who had our commissions before the new laws were put into place can continue to use our embossers until our commission expires. I have an embosser but rarely use it. I use my NR stamp almost all the time. Interestingly, the state documents that must be notarized rarely have enough room for a stamp and that's when the embosser comes in handy. As to the notary in Aspen, CO., there is only one listed on this board. My guess is a notary in a law office, who might not be familiar with loan documents notarized the 1st part.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/8/13 11:06pm
Msg #460180

Room for stamp - try a smaller one...

Started my fourth notary commission last June and FINALLY got smart and ordered a smaller size notary stamp from Notary Rotary. Can't begin to say how much I love, love, love it! It's perfectly legal (in CA, at least), as it's photographically reproducible with all the right elements. (Our handbook states a maximum size but not a minimum size.)

It's amazing the dumb little things that can give us a cheap thrill as we get older, but I confess, this is one of them for me: when I can squeeze that little puppy into a space where I couldn't with the old size stamp, so I don't need to add a loose cert. Smile

Reply by 101livescan on 3/7/13 12:11pm
Msg #459798

Just heard from escrow officer. Notary going out again today to get DOT resigned and notarized with a seal that is photographically reproducible.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/7/13 1:48pm
Msg #459821

"Amazing and disappointing that some notaries have no pride in their work whatsoever."

I don't know that it's an issue of "pride." I would think it's more an issue of Susie/Johnnie Q finding out that loan signing is "easy money," and going for it. They have no intention of learning what it takes to be a loan signer. They might not even realize they should know something about loan signing. They only know they just stamp and seal (and sometimes not even that). It's sloppy work done out of laziness and ignorance. They don't know any better and don't want to know any better. There's no National Loan Signing University where all would-be loan signers need to go to learn the basics. It's up to the inidividual, and many of these individuals are just plain stupid ... and don't even know it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.