Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Virginia - Henrico County rejecting my Dark Blue Stamp??!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Robert/VA on 3/5/13 7:27pm
Msg #459386

I have just received a call from a signing company, telling me that Title has a problem recording the Deed of Trust in Henrico County, Virginia...due to the county recorder rejecting the DOT because of my Notarial dark blue stamp? I believe Virginia allows any dark color stamp for Notaries, as long as it photographically reproducible? They want me to go meet with the recorder (at my expense) to "Re-Stamp" the DOT in a black color. I don't even have a black stamp - and have signed many, many DOT's for this county with my blue stamp? Anyone in Virginia ever have this issue? Can a county override state law - which has no preference in stamp color? This is a first for me in my 9 years of signings!

Reply by MW/VA on 3/5/13 7:37pm
Msg #459390

I don't have the VA Handbook right now, but I was

thinking that the stamp color was supposed to be black. Leave it to Henrico County to get picky about recording because of the color of your stamp. yeeeeesh! ;-)

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/5/13 7:40pm
Msg #459393

Nope - just has to be photographically reproducible n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/5/13 7:38pm
Msg #459391

I was once told by a CA title company that my Virginia ack that I stamped on the signature page of the DOT would not record in San Diego. I called the recorder's office, sent them a sample via fax so they could see it, and they told me yes they would accept it. The TC had never submitted it, they just "thought" it wouldn't record.

My advice is to contact the Henrico County recorders office and ask - if they say no issues with stamp color then get names so you can refer the TC to them with the correct answer.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/5/13 7:41pm
Msg #459394

I knew Cooperhead would come up with a good answer. n/m

Reply by Robert/VA on 3/5/13 8:00pm
Msg #459399

Thanks Copperhead. I'll be calling Henrico County's recorder of deeds tomorrow!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/5/13 10:41pm
Msg #459416

Yeah, I agree. A lot of times those TC company people get ideas in their head and assume things won't happen. So many just assume everyone's notary stamps are supposed to be black, so if they aren't, then it's somehow wrong.

Definitely call the county directly and verify their story.

I know I use my purple one whenever possible. That really trips people up. Goldgirl also has a round purple one... for both of us, I'm pretty sure, that's our preferred stamp. I only use the black rectangular one when the round one won't fit.

Reply by rengel/CA on 3/5/13 11:02pm
Msg #459417

I love my round purple stamp! n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/5/13 11:04pm
Msg #459420

Re: I love my round purple stamp!

Ah!!! There's 3 now!!!

Round purple is, by far, the coolest. Smile People always like it... for some people it feels more "official" than a basic black stamp, too.

Reply by rengel/CA on 3/5/13 11:02pm
Msg #459419

I love my round purple stamp! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.