Notary Rotary
What's in your bag...
Notary Discussion History

What's in your bag...
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 3/28/13 9:08pm
Msg #463615

What's in your bag...

For some of the new folks out there wanting to know what to carry...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xODBNy2rTQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reply by leeinla on 3/28/13 10:48pm
Msg #463626

Re: Nice Video

You forgot to mention a lock. Your notary journal and stamp need to be locked.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 3/29/13 1:16am
Msg #463638

I always chuckle at that lock requirement...

Does anybody really think that a lock will stop someone from breaking into a notary bag? Where on the bag would the lock attach to? I keep mine in a locked file cabinet. I seriously doubt that any thief would be deterred by a lock on the cabinet. It's just like Arizona's rule that a notary can only have 1 stamp at a time. The purpose of that, I am told, is to prevent fraud.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/29/13 1:54am
Msg #463640

Re: I always chuckle at that lock requirement...

As with any crime, it may not prevent someone who is seriously intent on stealing a notary's stamp and/or journal, but it can be an effective deterrent to crimes of opportunity - and I believe it's a worthwhile precaution.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 3/28/13 11:20pm
Msg #463629

IMO, the only fill in documents you should be carrying are acks and jurats. In AZ, we have some specialized acks and jurats to carry. IMO, it's UPL to be carrying things like durable health care powers of attorney and permission for minors to travel. It's up to the signer to provide a document and if necessary choose whether it needs and ack or a jurat.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/13 8:35am
Msg #463648

I agree about the fill-in forms...

If newbies need a video to tell them what to carry in their bag, God help us if they're making a determination to provide legal forms. And providing DPOAs may not be as simple as you think - here in FL if there's already a DPOA in place there's a specific procedure for revocation of that DPOA. Not to mention knowing that the DPOA fits their situation and accomplishes what they want.

Also disagree with letting the stamp and embosser just float around in the pocket of the bag. My stamp is locked in a banker's pouch; journal (not required here but I keep one) is in my briefcase but that can be locked also.

Just MHO and my .02 FWIW

Reply by Edward Cooke on 3/29/13 11:09am
Msg #463661

Where I live it's very lawful practice of notary for notaries to draft documents such as mandates/procurations (power of attorney would be the common law equivalent), provisional custody by mandate (for permission for a minor to travel), testaments, etc. It's definitely NOT UPL.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/29/13 11:12am
Msg #463662

So Edward - do you live in FL now? If so, not

lawful practice. If not, why don't you change your state?

Reply by Jessica Ward on 3/29/13 10:57pm
Msg #463753

I use this bag: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/187954/Vaultz-Mobile-Catalog-Case-13-12/ I got this tip here at Notary Rotary. I love it because it locks, has wheels and is fairly lightweight. It's also legal sized! (I paid about 1/2 the listed price at Office Depot. Maybe it was a sale?

Sadly WA won't let us have two seals--I do a lot of adoption documents and some countries (especially European ones) want embossers, but I usually send a letter explaining our rules. I've never had a document rejected. The bulk of my clients want an ink seal. (My adoption documents going to Africa want a PURPLE ink seal, but again, they're out of luck, and I've never had a document sent back).

Love the idea about marking things in the bag with bright tape. My bag is all organized in legal folders and zippered pouches for the small things, but when I used to use a soft case, this would have been very handy.

I NEVER provide legal forms. (Egads, I'm sure that's UPL here.)

I have forms for copy certificates, jurats, and acks.

I carry some legal paper and some letter paper--sometimes I arrive at a closing and discover that the lender has emailed direct to the lender a revised HUD. I carry about 25 sheets at a time.

I also carry a folder with UPS and FEDEX pouches and shipping supplies (waybills/pouches for pre-printed waybills).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.