Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Why do you choose NOT do a debt resolution signing?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Kate/PA on 3/7/13 1:09pm
Msg #459811

I am learning many people choose not do a debt resolution signing. Why do people tend to stray from those jobs?

Reply by JPH13/MO on 3/7/13 1:11pm
Msg #459812

Click on search button and input "debt resolution" n/m

Reply by Kate/PA on 3/7/13 1:19pm
Msg #459815

Re: Click on search button and input "debt resolution"

ok so im getting the point. NEVER COLLECT CHECKS UPFRONT FROM CLIENTS for these types of jobs?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 3/7/13 1:26pm
Msg #459816

It's not just that.

They want you to say that you represent their company which is not true. They tend to take advantage of people who are down and out. Sometimes the best solution is bankruptcy. There's not a lot of integrity in that business. As a notary public, we are public officials. as such, we need high integrity, morals and ethics.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/7/13 1:37pm
Msg #459819

If you're going to be a notary, be a notary.

The only reason these scumbags call us is cos we're easy marks. What could be simpler for them? They take advantage of the resourses on NR to look for a notary, who is used to saying "yes" to every phone call; offer them a cheap fee, which many notaries are used to saying "yes" to; and they've got another sucker in the bag. Yikes! Why don't they call a cab driver? Pizza delivery guy? They're just as qualified as we are to do this sort of stuff. Because they might actually wonder what's going on.

Besides alot of this debt settlement stuff is illegal, esp. if they want $$ up front. Check your state's laws.

Reply by Jack/AL on 3/7/13 1:53pm
Msg #459825

Some companies want you to notarize your own signature.

A couple of the packages that I saw had a form for me to sign, to confirm my activities in the process, and required that I then notarize my own signature! I did not do that. A notary public can not notarize their own signature, at least not in my neck of the woods. The last time I did one of those packages, many months ago, I signed the form to indicate that I'd followed instructions, but did not notarize it. The signing service/notary public who assigned the job to me called me for an explanation. Unfortunately for our profession, she said that none of her notaries have a problem with notarizing their own signature. Of cource, I let her know that I was not to be considered one of her notaries, so please do not call me again.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 3/7/13 2:46pm
Msg #459850

You have gotten some good adive and I think I sent you a PM

yesterday.
here is a link to check out: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/05/ncc.shtm
lots to be found on the net about debt resolution and you might also search the company and attorney name who hired you if the one you did yesterday was indeed a debt resolution. I may have missed your response but did you say yesterdays was or wasn't?
good luck in your research! you are on the right track asking here and investigating. kudos

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 3/7/13 2:46pm
Msg #459852

"advice" bad fingers!! n/m

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/7/13 3:09pm
Msg #459857

I sent you excerpts from your state's laws telling why.

last night. It is ILLEGAL to charge upfront fees. Please contact your state and let them know which company is asking you to do this. Let them send the company information directly telling them the laws. The reason why they are getting away with it is because the are finding notaries to do this.

As I said in my message to you, please do a search (Orange search button) to get more information. Don't just take my word for it.

Reply by CinOH on 3/7/13 6:24pm
Msg #459931

I turn them down because of ethics and liability issues.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 3/7/13 6:32pm
Msg #459936

Most of these companies are more about separating the client from their money than actually helping to resolve the debt. They look to notaries as their representatives because the idea that a notary is involved in the process makes it seem more legitimate.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/7/13 9:15pm
Msg #459965

I won't touch them because too many are scams, and I

don't participate in illegal activity. A while back there were a lot of loan modification application scams going around, charging large upfront fees for allegedly seeking to help people--total scams & most people lost their homes because of it. There are just some kinds of transactions we stay away from. Remember, you're an accessory to a crime if you're involved, and often the only person they will ever see face to face, and you're the one accepting the check. Need I say more......

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.