Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Will you be doing the signing yourself, Cheryl?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 3/2/13 8:49am
Msg #458894

So I'm being asked by a couple of vendors, Cheryl, is any one working with you, will you be doing the signing yourself? Of course, I don't have a company or a partner. I guess some notaries are job sharing? or accepting assignments and double booking. When they can't do two jobs at the same time, they are handing it off to another notary who takes their overload. Not sure.

Any one else being asked this question? I just know it's a concern, and it's a standard query now when I accept an order from these two vendors.

Of course, if I can't handle an order because the docs don't get to me in time, I will let the vendor know it's an issue and that I'll either be later or can't make it at all. They will usually say work it out with the borrower.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/2/13 8:52am
Msg #458895

Haven't been asked that question outright yet

but am seeing it in signup agreements AND confirmation/notary instructions...SIGNING MUST BE PERFORMED BY THE ORIGINAL NOTARY CONTRACTED AND NOT SUBCONTRACTED OUT TO ANOTHER NOTARY..

Guess it happens more than we realize.

Reply by upnorth/AK on 3/2/13 9:53am
Msg #458904

Re: Haven't been asked that question outright yet

I have been asked that question by a couple of vendors also.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/2/13 10:34am
Msg #458905

Cheryl I think a lot of hiring parties monitor this board an

see post like yours Msg #457421 and don't believe it's true without knowing the circumstances.

Although I like to only do one signing a day if it doesn't come from a TC, it really doesn't matter that much to me.

I know there are quite a few of us who post here that work for other notaries and love doing so. It's like shsssss don't tell anyone, the pay is great, no headache, Docs always on time, 5 to ten signings a month.

Maybe posting that you're starving, not getting any work will make hiring parties more comfortable. LOL

Reply by BossLadyMD on 3/2/13 11:50am
Msg #458916

That's a easy schedule if you're full-time...

Back before the housing crunch, I would have 10-15 signings per day and I did them all by myself. If you're full time, it can be done. Loan packages were also not as large back then so we really piled them on.

One day last month I had 7 - first one was at 8am and the last one was at 7:30pm. My signings only lasts 45mins to 60 mins, never any longer than that. I also had little breaks in between. In my area, there are not too many full-timers so I get the lion's share of all morning appts Smile

If you have the RIGHT equipment and technology and KNOW what you're doing, you can handle this schedule. No offense to anybody but Cheryl's workload is very manageable by one person. I'm doing the same thing.

Reply by Julie/MI on 3/2/13 12:23pm
Msg #458921

Yep, BossLady, well said.

I'm a full timer as well and a high volume closer.

The companies that allow me to use my back up, I do and those that say no I don't.

Nothing complicated, sinister, back handed, shady or fraudulent.

Just good business to have back up.

I do 95 percent of my closings myself this year. Last year was 99 percent, but I have someone that is looking to make some side change so I give some to her.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/2/13 12:34pm
Msg #458924

Re: That's a easy schedule if you're full-time...

I agree with you and Julie and I would be offended if I were asked that because don't they look at the notary stamps?

My hat's off to you "full-timers"

Reply by janCA on 3/2/13 1:32pm
Msg #458926

Yes, I have been asked.

I believe they just want to make sure, especially, if you are not an SS, and you are an individual notary, that the person in their database and they have all the pertinent information on, is the person that will be doing the signing. I, for one, do not like it when notaries farm out the work they were hired to do. I think you should either refer or recommend another notary, or open up a signing service if you want part of the fee. JMO.

Reply by Teri_PA on 3/2/13 2:28pm
Msg #458931

Re: Yes, I have been asked.

I've been asked, and when I asked why; they responded that they wanted to make sure the notary doing the work was in their database and had undergone the same checks as the hiring notary (Background, E&O, commission), and would be approved. We can certainly farm out to another notary, who is in their data base and has their own vendor ID according to this company, but, we cannot make them employees unless we had set it up that way in the beginning. I am a full timer and have been for a million years. My husband used to do all the old Countrywide HELOC's that were self scheduled that I couldn't fit into my schedule (around his regular work schedule), and he would back me up when I got too stuck at month end. That ended years ago as I wasn't satisfied with his work! It was good, but not perfect, and it created problems when I'd check his work, find problems, and send him back out again to get them fixed...I'll stay a lone ranger.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/2/13 4:16pm
Msg #458943

Re: Yes, I have been asked.

I think you may have hit on the real reason when you talked about checking your husband's work... Good for you for sticking to your high standards, regardless of the relationship!

I haven't been asked that question, but I think I put something on my website that indicates I do all work personally. If I'm not sure I can handle it myself, I don't accept it. Sometimes that can get frustrating like yesterday, when I had to turn down one more appointment for today from a favorite ss because I wasn't sure I'd have enough time to complete the signing before borrowers had to leave. The one before ended up getting done earlier and I couldn't have done it anyway. However, it could have just as easily gone the other direction. When borrowers have a hard deadline, like they did, I don't take the chance.

Reply by ToniK on 3/2/13 11:41am
Msg #458911

yes, ive been asked this question n/m

Reply by BossLadyMD on 3/2/13 12:03pm
Msg #458918

and no, i've not been asked this question.....yet n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.