Notary Rotary
turning back signings
Notary Discussion History

turning back signings
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by L.G (Buc) Alboucq on 3/1/13 7:18pm
Msg #458821

turning back signings

At what point do you turn back signings? I am so upset with not receiving documents until minutes before the appointment

Reply by MW/VA on 3/1/13 7:33pm
Msg #458827

You've been at this long enough to know the answer to

that. Many notaries have a 2 hr. cutoff for docs. I've never done that, but it would save a lot of stress. We should all set boundaries where we can. This biz, especially at EOM, is unpredictable & requires lots of flexibility. Aren't you & your wife partners in this? I'd think one of you might be available to print.

Reply by L.G (Buc) Alboucq on 3/1/13 7:37pm
Msg #458829

Re: You've been at this long enough to know the answer to

There is no such thing as being available to print, when there are no documents to print. My question was when do you say enough is enough and turn the signing back?

Reply by Eric Andrist on 3/3/13 4:32pm
Msg #459045

Re: You've been at this long enough to know the answer to

I had my first signing on Friday. They called at 9 AM and wanted me at the appointment by 9:45...the previous notary couldn't do it that fast. I told her I'd certainly try. Started printing out the docs, and called the signer. He asked if his wife's name was on the docs as she wasn't home. I looked, and sure enough she was. So that cancelled the appointment until later.

I realize now that I've completed it, that was virtually impossible, especially for a first-timer. I was thankful to have most of the day to go through it and make sure I knew everything I needed to know about it.

Then when I got there, the people were driving me crazy. The wife was late, the husband was texting on two different phones and then they were rushing me because they were going out.

I know I got all the right signatures, but there were two pages that they were supposed to fill something in on, that I didn't get. It was all info that appears elsewhere in the docs, so I'm not sure if I'll have to go back or not.

We were not told in class and it's not in our book that there would be docs (Patriot Act) that we'd actually have to fill out.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 3/1/13 7:37pm
Msg #458830

It depends on my other signings. Usually at three hours I send a notice stating that their docs are late and I cannot guarantee an on-time arrival as a result of my having other scheduled signings. I just keep the borrowers in the loop and ask them if they are flexible. Sometimes the borrowers will call the LO and then the docs appear about 30 minutes later.

I think I have only turned one back for late docs. I've also told the signing company that since he docs were late, and if they still want me to go out, an additional fee for Urgent Docs was needed. Depending on how late the docs were, they paid the additional fee.

Reply by L.G (Buc) Alboucq on 3/1/13 7:40pm
Msg #458831

I like that! I have always been reluctant to let the borrowers know that documents were late. In fact one company states on their confirmation that the notary is not to advise the borrowers about late documents.
I am so tired of waiting for documents that are late or do not arrive at all.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 3/1/13 7:44pm
Msg #458832

They way I look at it, I (the signing agent) already contacted the borrowers to confirm the appointment and at the time of the confirmation, I let them know that if docs are late, I will call them to update them and that late docs are beyond my control. Since the BOs have my number, I have found they call me to get a status update and they prefer someone local than someone on the East Coast. Dunno, it's been working for me.

If there is a client that says not to tell the borrowers the docs are late, then I would probably tell them the confirmation will not be made until the docs are in hand. I haven't had that happen to me yet, thank goodness.

Reply by notary/OR on 3/1/13 8:02pm
Msg #458838

When I confirm with the borrowers I let them know that I will call them if the documents are running late. "To late" for me is when it is going to mess with my schedule for the rest of my day but that is rare. I have print locations I can use (postal connections) and I carry a mobile printer. I will turn back a signing if late documents mean late night.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/1/13 7:59pm
Msg #458836

I do tell the borrowers when docs are late & adjust my

schedule accordingly, if that is possible. Late docs is beyond our control, and I've found that as long as I communicate with the borrowers they are very understanding.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/1/13 10:56pm
Msg #458870

Roger that. Between our ingenuity and blessed cellphones,

we get some impossible jobs done by simple word.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/1/13 8:05pm
Msg #458841

I never tell the borrowers the documents are "late."

I say their documents haven't been "released yet," and that I will contect them when they are.

Reply by L.G (Buc) Alboucq on 3/1/13 8:14pm
Msg #458843

You are right. I plan to keep the borrowers in the loop and if documents have not been received 2 hours prior to signing I will inform them. It is very unfair to have the documents appear too late to arrive at the appointment on time. Or as they did to night not arrive at all.

Reply by droman_IL on 3/1/13 8:20pm
Msg #458847

I always provide a cut-off time of at least two hours before the appointment time upon acceptance of the closing. I typically do not confirm with the borrower until I have documents in hand. Sometimes I am asked to call days before to confirm, at which point I let the borrowers know that the appointment is a "soft" confirmation until I actually have documents in hand. I have turned back closings at least three times last year due to them coming over too late and interfering with scheduled appointments where I DID receive documents on time. I don't feel bad about turning them back when I have made it CRYSTAL clear more than once when I needed to receive them. If I have already contacted the borrower and the documents have not been sent, I let them know that I haven't received them yet, I am unaware of what the delay is, and they should contact their lender to see what the hold up is. When the TC is aware that they have a FIRM time they need to get the documents to you or they will need to reschedule or look for another notary, they WILL get those documents to you on time. I have now been getting my documents a DAY or TWO in advance, as opposed to HOURS.

Reply by Buddy Young on 3/2/13 12:35am
Msg #458876

Don't forget you have to call the hireing party even if you are going to be 1 minute late to appointment. lol

Reply by ikando on 3/2/13 6:24pm
Msg #458957

Droman, I do the same with hiring party. But I also let the BO know what part I play in the process. I don't know anything about their loan until the docs come to me, and I'll keep them aware of status. I also ask them to keep me informed if something changes for them. Kept me from getting frustrated about no docs when BO calls to let me know it's been put off.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/2/13 7:21pm
Msg #458959

I do the same when confirming my call - give my number to them and ask that I be informed of any changes on their part. Anyone with kids may have changes; and anyone 2 days or more in advance of signing could develop issues as well. I don't mind working with them.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 3/1/13 9:27pm
Msg #458858

GG, I like your terminology better.I'll steal it from you :) n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/1/13 9:27pm
Msg #458857

I've read here about people being told to not tell the borrowers about late docs and I always wonder about that. If they just mean to not use the word "late", I fully agree and like what Goldgirl said below. There are lots of different ways to state something. But if they mean to not tell them at all, what in the heck do they expect you to do? Be disrespectful by not keeping them advised? Or act as if you - the only person they meet with face to face - are an unreliable, incompetent person who is supposedly going to sit across their dining room table from them to help them sign the paperwork for their important transaction? Does not compute... Wink

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/1/13 10:19pm
Msg #458866

You're so right (as usual) JanetK. I think the "don't-tell-borrowers-docs-are-late" edict stems from us calling borrowers and telling them honestly yet probably undiplomatically (to the lender) "docs are late," causing fed-up borrowers to call their LO (who, of course, knows nothing about it). Then their aggravated LO called the lender, who started screaming at title who then ordered the flabbergasted SS to tell the notary to MYOB and not get the lender in trouble by pointing out their inability to produce timely docs, blah blah blah. Can't you just see (hear) it all now?

Hence, the obfuscation about late docs merely being "not released yet" or "not available yet." Kinda takes the edge off. And, yes, we have to keep the borrower informed, because my observation is that nobody else does.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 3/1/13 9:58pm
Msg #458862

I ask for docs three hours in advance.

At three hours, (or earlier if I know I need them earlier) I call and say "I need documents by X time. If they are not here, please reassign" If the appointed hour arrives and I have no docs, I call one more time and say: We discussed at X time that I need documents by now. I reminded you at X time of my cutoff time. I can no longer accommodate this signing at its appointed hour. Please re-assign, or I will be happy to put them in my next available spot (end of the day). Your call, but I need to know now, as I have other clients waiting for me.

I also reminds clients that I am happy to take standby appointments in the local area. I can block morning, afternoon or evening, and I will standby and wait without accepting other clients, just like a taxi on standby. I charge $400 for what I call "standby service, and I'll do the closing for free." What? Closing for free? Yes, You see, I require them to pay me for waiting around. If no docs materialize, I still get paid.

So far, that's always been able to shake docs out of people fast. Smile

Reply by 101livescan on 3/2/13 9:07am
Msg #458899

Last Saturday was the last day to sign, I was to have six sets to sign, only four materialized. I did not find out about the other two until I called the borrowers to confirm. They told me their LOs had contacted them to tell them the signing could not happen that Saturday because no docs were available until the following Wednesday...Notary always the last to know? Well, it was fine with me..at least I found out.. If would have been nice to know on Friday so I could have tightened up my Saturday schedule instead of being out 8 hours, I could have cinched it in to four hours.

It's usually the old pipeline issue. Can't spit out the documents for one reason or another, guidelines, regulations, appraisal, details on the HUD, credit updates, one more paystub. Who the heck knows.

It's usually the HUD that keeps docs from getting to the settlement agent, but these days anything can make the wheels fall off the bus.

End of month drama is what it is. I don't let it control me, I control it. By not getting all wound up in it. I will only work for my best vendors end of month, those I know will produce results if they possibly can.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.