Notary Rotary
what do You do when You are not given time
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Evaline Braswell on 3/8/13 9:42am
Msg #460021

What are You to do when You are called the night before and You accept a Signing, but when You get up still not Doc's , Have Called and talked to them and they told me I would have them no latter then two hrs before the Signing and it is now almost one hr to signing and still not got the Doc's ?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/8/13 9:45am
Msg #460023

Call the signers - tell them you're going to have to

reschedule an hour later as you have not received their docs yet. Then call company and let them know

Reply by Evaline Braswell on 3/8/13 9:48am
Msg #460026

Re: Call the signers - tell them you're going to have to

I have and all they say is that they are working on it, and the Signer is a school Teacher so she is not able to redo this .

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/8/13 10:06am
Msg #460038

Then I let the hiring party know this.

I had one the other day scheduled for noon - wife was coming home for her lunch hour to sign the loan and it HAD to be done that day. Needless to say I didn't get docs, so I asked borrowers about the flexibility - was told if not done at noon they would not be available until after 8:00.

I relayed this information to the company - loan was canceled for noon then rescheduled for 8:30, which I could accommodate. If I was not available after 8, at least they had time to find another notary. Thankfully they kept it with me.

Communication is the key.

Reply by bagger on 3/8/13 9:47am
Msg #460025

I just don't worry about it!

The borrower is not your client and you did not create the problem, so let the person that created the problem fix it, and accept responsibility.

Reply by Luckydog on 3/8/13 10:22am
Msg #460045

Re: I just don't worry about it!

I agree with Bagger...not your issue. I call the buyer 45 minutes before closing, ask them if they heard if there was a delay??...sometimes when the buyers starts calling their contacts is better than us. If it gets pushed back, so be it, if I have another closing, it goes to the end of the day, if that doesn't work, they need to reassign. I do not get stressed over this like I used to be.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 3/8/13 9:48am
Msg #460027

well, I usually advise borrs that I am still waiting on docs, and once I have everything printed and headed out the door, I will give 'em a call that I'm on my way. Most borrowers are pretty understanding. A lot of borrs will get on the phone to LO and light a fire under the lender/escrow to get with it.

Reply by CJ on 3/8/13 9:53am
Msg #460029

Call the borrowers and tell them the truth.

Tell them the docs are not in yet, so you will not be there "on time". Then they panic and think something is wrong with their entire loan. I reassure them that their loan is fine, the papers are just not ready when they thought they would be, and tell them that everyone is scrambling. (I don't know if that's true, but usually SOMEONE is scrambling to get them to you.) I say that they docs are good until midnight, and I ask what their schedule looks like for the rest of the day. I tell them I can come over "tonight" too, after their other commitments. Like others said, they usually can find another slot before midnight, AND they usually get on the phone and raise a ruckus. After that, keep them in the loop. I also call them when the docs arrive in my computer, and I call them and let them know I am on my way.

Reply by CJ on 3/8/13 10:16am
Msg #460040

Call the borrowers and tell them the truth.

Tell them the docs are not in yet, so you will not be there "on time". Then they panic and think something is wrong with their entire loan. I reassure them that their loan is fine, the papers are just not ready when they thought they would be, and tell them that everyone is scrambling. (I don't know if that's true, but usually SOMEONE is scrambling to get them to you.) I say that they docs are good until midnight, and I ask what their schedule looks like for the rest of the day. I tell them I can come over "tonight" too, after their other commitments. Like others said, they usually can find another slot before midnight, AND they usually get on the phone and raise a ruckus. After that, keep them in the loop. I also call them when the docs arrive in my computer, and I call them and let them know I am on my way.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/8/13 9:53am
Msg #460030

Same as Linda said. Also, if you don't have time before your next closing due to the lateness of documents, I would call the borrower(s) to find their availability, call your hiring party and let them know if you and the borrowers aren't available to close later in the day or evening, that they need to find another notary.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/8/13 9:57am
Msg #460032

I had that happen today. Appt for 11 AM and we are meeting at a Panera. At 9:50 AM I called B and told him not to head to Panera, as docs have not been released yet. I asked about his availability to sign later. Shortly after that, I received a call from hiring party that appt would have to be pushed back to 2 PM because lender had just sent them closing instructions and HUD/docs would not be ready for a while.

Fortunately for the company that hired me, I DO have flexibilty in my schedule today. That is not usually the case for Fridays but I had a cancellation and I was able to accommodate. Borrower said he could also do 2 PM.

If borrower had not been available to sign later, then I would have turned it back to hiring party and let them deal with it. Same answer if I had no flexibility in my schedule and was not able to bump it to 2 PM.

Bottom line is, if the closing no longer fits into your schedule for the day due to late docs, you can give it back and move on to the next item on your schedule.

Reply by Evaline Braswell on 3/8/13 10:08am
Msg #460039

OK thank You all for the advice , I really needed that and thank each one of You for the responses .

Reply by FTNOTARY on 3/8/13 2:13pm
Msg #460105

Tell them what your requirements are when you accept the signing. If it's an early morning 8 Am for example my requirement is that they have docs the day before otherwise they will have to reassign it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.