Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Asking for help from CA Notaries re: certifying copies.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Sha/CA on 10/30/13 8:37pm
Msg #490589

What would you do? My neighbor, born in Canada, has dual citizenship and wants to have his California born daughter receive her dual citizenship. I told him that I cannot certify photocopies of his CA/DL, passport or his birth cert. (which the Canadian government wants him to send). I suggested he write a letter with all the requested information on it and I could notarize his signature on the letter with an attached acknowledgement or jurat. The Canadian gov't info sheet he showed me says to have a Notary Public (there is a list of others not so easily accessible) certify the photocopies. I searched and did not easily find any info here that would apply. I don't think this is one of those apostile things which the SOS needs to get involved with, is it? I'm not clear on that process. I trust some of you will have a valid suggestion, as you are some of my best resources.

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/30/13 9:09pm
Msg #490598

<<< I suggested he write a letter with all the requested information on it and I could notarize his signature on the letter with an attached acknowledgement or jurat.>>>

Yep, that's what you can do.

<<< The Canadian gov't info sheet he showed me says to have a Notary Public (there is a list of others not so easily accessible) certify the photocopies.>>>

Nope, cannot do that.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 10/30/13 9:12pm
Msg #490600

I would refer you to page 36 of the workbook available from the Sec of State's website:

"A notary public cannot certify copies of vital records, such as birth, marriage or death
certificates. However, a notary public can administer an oath or affirmation and give a jurat for
an affidavit that states the birthdate or age of the affiant, and/or includes a photograph of the
affiant and/or fingerprints or thumbprints of the affiant. In effect, a signer can certify their own
vital information by swearing to the contents of a document containing that information.
If the notary public gives a jurat for a document that includes the signer’s birthdate or age
and a photograph or their finger or thumb print, the notary public must require the signer to
verify their birthdate or age by showing a certified copy of the signer’s birth certificate or an
identification card or driver’s license issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
(California Government Code section 8230.)"

Reply by Sha/CA on 10/30/13 9:30pm
Msg #490606

Thank you for your posts Lisa and Marian. You are special.

My neighbor wasn't so keen on the idea of the notarized letter/statement under oath. I guess he'll have to punt!

Reply by Buddy Young on 10/30/13 9:26pm
Msg #490605

If there were a Jurat typed on the same paper as the copy, you could notarize their signature. However you can't tell them what notarial certificate to use and you can't set it up for them and you can't tell them how to set it up. That would be UPL. They would need to see an attorney to set it up for them.

Reply by Sha/CA on 10/30/13 9:31pm
Msg #490607

That's a good idea. Thank you Buddy. I will suggest that. n/m

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 10/31/13 12:00am
Msg #490624

COPY CERTIFICATION BY DOCUMENT CUSTODIAN

I, ________________________________________________ of legal age,
(Name of document custodian)

being first duly sworn, hereby swear (or affirm) that the attached reproduction of

is a true and exact copy of the correct and complete original document.

=======================================================

State of California

County of ________________________

Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on this _______ day of _______________ 20_____, by

proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) who appeared before me.

(Seal)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/31/13 3:05pm
Msg #490723

That's all well and good, but in our state, supplying a document to someone could be considered UPL.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 10/31/13 11:57am
Msg #490686

Canada has consulates in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Maybe they can do it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.