Notary Rotary
Background Checks?
Notary Discussion History

Background Checks?
Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 10/6/13 9:54am
Msg #487145

Background Checks?

Regardless of the company who did your background check, how long is it good for? I have always had them done every 2 years. I have received so many emails from companies now requiring one every year. Just looking for input and maybe it's been covered on this forum, but I didn't locate it.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/6/13 10:16am
Msg #487146

Don't know if it's been discussed recently or not, but the fact remains that any background check is history the day it's done. So, how often does history need to be checked? Maybe they should do it with every order, eh? How often is too often and who is going to pay for this? Perhaps it's just a profit pocket for some? Unless they're willing to provide a copy of it, how do we actually know it's being done and that the cost to us isn't just going into a 'profit pocket' somewhere?

I understand the warm fuzzies that it can provide to those who hire us, but when an 'only this one' is sufficient for 'this co' and a copy will not be provided....it just doesn't pass the smell test with me.

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/6/13 11:46am
Msg #487151

I disagree Lee

<<<Don't know if it's been discussed recently or not, but the fact remains that any background check is history the day it's done.>>>

The day a BGC is completed tells the future story of how someone will behave (on average). JanetK had very good points in her post on the subject - msg. #436240

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/6/13 11:08am
Msg #487147

The NPBC BGCs through Notary Rotary

provide the 'Notary Public a Background Check (NPBC) through the National Verification Registry and confirms that a criminal Background Check has been completed and that the Privacy Training with Sworn Understanding of Information Stewardship and Security Awareness' has also been completed. There is an 'Expiration Date' for 2 years from the date of the BGC.

The BGC through the XYZ organization is identified as a "background screening that includes identity verification, residence verification, federal criminal record database search, residence county criminal record search (through court records, not a database), state motor vehicle records search and an Office of Foreign Assets Control (known-terrorist list) check." There is also an 'Expiration Date' for 2 years from the date of the BGC.

FYI:
"In accordance with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) and FTC Safeguards Rule, which were enacted to safeguard consumer privacy, the lending industry has begun to require background screening and compliance training for ALL INDIVIDUALS involved in the lending process."

For me, when a current or new client requests a BGC, I provide them with an electronic copy of the certificates for my BGCs. Upon nearing the date of expiration, a renewal is requested to avoid the long delay if the BGC expiration date has passed . . .

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 10/6/13 11:01pm
Msg #487185

Re: The NPBC BGCs through Notary Rotary

The NNA background I had done earlier this year has a major flaw.... at least in my case. I've posted about this before. The county they searched was a county I did live in, but moved OUT of over 2 years ago. Even though they had my proper address, and my notary oath/bond are filed in the new county... the company the NNA used did NOT check any of the local or court records for my current county. They only checked the old one.

The NotRot one not only checked my current area but also verified my commission.... something the NNA one didn't do.

I've brought this to the NNA's attention, too. Not sure what/if they'll do to fix it... but ti still makes me laugh because the data they checked was over 2 years old. In other words, it was pretty much useless to anyone wanting a current check.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.