Notary Rotary
CA notaries - this should make your day
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 10/10/13 5:12pm
Msg #487674

"California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. has vetoed a bill that would have required the state’s Notaries Public to report instances of suspected financial abuse of elders and dependent adults."

http://www.nationalnotary.org/bulletin/bulletin_articles/california_governor_vetoes_bill_to_report_abuse.html

Reply by 101livescan on 10/10/13 5:14pm
Msg #487675

Awesome!

Guess I won't be moving to FL any time soon since I don't have to dodge this bullet.

Reply by dgd/CA on 10/10/13 5:18pm
Msg #487677

Superb!!! n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/10/13 5:26pm
Msg #487679

Not really, there are more sorry notaries here abusing

more than just our elders, they're abusing themselves in quest of the almighty dollar!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/10/13 6:25pm
Msg #487690

Yayyyy!!!! Thanks for posting this!

Of course, it's still a good idea for us to be on the lookout for elder abuse, but I'm glad we won't have to face severe fines and even criminal penalties if we get accused of not reporting something in a situation where we may have very little information to go on. The downside, though, is that we'll now probably not have benefit of whatever info would likely have been made available for us to learn about how to recognize and handle these types of situations. Guess we'll have to seek that out on our own. (One more thing to add to my list...)

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 10/10/13 6:32pm
Msg #487692

YES!!! That was a HORRIBLE bill and while the spirit of it

may have been a good idea, it would have been a legal and logistic nightmare for CA notaries.

I'm no fan of our current Governor....not one bit... but hey, I'm thankful for this. And, whether people want to admit it or not, the NNA had a big hand in getting this vetoed.

Reply by leeinla on 10/10/13 10:08pm
Msg #487718

Re: YES!!! That was a HORRIBLE bill and while the spirit of it

I know I wrote an email to my state representative regarding this bill. I don't know how many notaries contacted their elected officials and encouraged them to vote again this bill. I still believe that XWZ is a scummy organization. The damage that comes out of that building is beyond belief. I wish they would put the same amount of energy in helping notaries make a better living and provide better training to new notaries, but I don't see XWZ helping us soon in improving our financial standing in the industry.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.