Notary Rotary
Car Title in Ohio
Notary Discussion History

Car Title in Ohio
Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 11:23am
Msg #489899

Car Title in Ohio

I think I may of messed up my first notary assignment. A private owner who use to have a car business and said he was a former notary asked me to notarize his signature on the Ohio car title. I read my notes on this and tried searching for info on this. He told me all I needed to worry about was his signature, so I verified he was the seller on the front and I even told him that on the front they did not put his middle initial, but he signed with it. He did not have the price filled in or the mileage or the buyer information. I did make him swear to the document as it says on the back, but nothing was filled in at the top. I thought it did not need to be because of the dashes separating it. As I look further now that I notarized it already I see where a website says the mileage, buyer's name/address and sale price should be there first and then you get a notary. What do I do? He also said he would like to do business in the future. Boy, this is a bad first experience to have. Any help would be appreciated as to what I need to do at this point?

Michelle

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/27/13 11:55am
Msg #489900

Re: Car Title in Ohio I'm NOT being mean, you should

ALWAYS know how to do what you are going to do (even Notary WORK) before you attempt to do it.

If I remember correctly your state doesn't even have a handbook so contacting another active notary would have been the best thing to do IMO

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 11:58am
Msg #489901

Re: Car Title in Ohio I'm NOT being mean, you should

Thank you. Does anyone know what I should do at this point?

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/27/13 12:05pm
Msg #489903

Try this guy Roger Rill 2nd Pres, Ohio Society of Notaries

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 12:47pm
Msg #489907

Re: Try this guy Roger Rill 2nd Pres, Ohio Society of Notaries

Thanks. I did leave a message at the hotline number before I did the notarization. I'm waiting on a message back from him. I don't know if I should contact the DMV or not worry about it since what's done is done. The guy was meeting the seller after he finished with me getting it notarized. I'm believe he has sold the car already and the other guy has the title now.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/27/13 12:12pm
Msg #489905

I would not have done it...

I can't imagine any state allowing the notary to notarize a signature on an incomplete document. If it's not filled out completely I don't notarize, except in the instances where the document specifically allows for the section to be left blank. I don't see where this applies here - you've basically written the signer a blank check. Not to mention, you never let the signer tell you what you need to worry about - YOU call the shots, not the signer.

Not sure what you can do now - the horse has left the barn. But I agree with James - do not accept any other work until you know your notary laws cold. There are various manuals issued by various counties in Ohio which can be found via google - or go to the Sec. of State office website and find info there. But you need to know your laws like the back of your hand or it can come back to bite you big time.

Hopefully Roger will see this and will help you.

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 12:53pm
Msg #489909

Re: I would not have done it...

Thanks. I had the notary booklet I got from the Law association with me as well as the notarization of title paperwork I had. The Ohio stuff does not really give specific examples. This is why I was confused. I figured, hey he's right the blank lines are above this dotted line so I must be just notarizing his signature. Oh well, fool me once shame on me, you will never fool me again as Bush said. Next time he calls, if he does, I will say he needs to have that part filled out. Does the buyer need to be there also?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/27/13 1:17pm
Msg #489914

Absolutely no idea if the buyer needs to be there

that would be up to the requirements of the Ohio DMV

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 1:47pm
Msg #489918

Re: Absolutely no idea if the buyer needs to be there

Thanks. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if both parties need to be there.

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/27/13 2:09pm
Msg #489921

There's nothing you can do about your first appointment. Never notarize paperwork that's not completely filled out. If info doesn't apply to the person, the client can leave it blank or write "N/A" on that line. If the guy wants to do business with you in the future, make it clear that paperwork needs to be completed - if info belongs on a line, it needs to be there before you witness the signature.

I made mistakes 6 years ago as a new notary, too. Don't sweat it.

Reply by Roger_OH on 10/27/13 3:51pm
Msg #489939

I spoke with her; rookie mistake she learned from. n/m

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 4:05pm
Msg #489943

Re: I spoke with her; rookie mistake she learned from.

Thanks for all the advice Roger. This won't happen to me again. Thanks for calling me to personally help it means a lot to have someone to reach out to when you are not quite sure of what you are doing.

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/27/13 4:03pm
Msg #489942

Thanks. This is encouraging to me and helps me not feel so bad.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 10/27/13 4:36pm
Msg #489947

Ah, refreshing . . . (thanks LKT)

Is now the time to confess I once gave away the bank's "bait" money? I was barely 18 and SICK over it! The branch mgr. kindly confessed that he'd done the same himself Wink

Feels good to be Human . . .

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 10/27/13 9:51pm
Msg #489962

Re: Ah, refreshing . . . (thanks LKT)

Yes we all make mistakes..We learn from them and move on and never make that same mistake again..I hope she forgives herself and moves on..

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/28/13 12:26pm
Msg #490013

Re: Ah, refreshing . . . (thanks LKT)

Thanks all. It helps a great deal to know I'm not the only one. All of you be blessed.

Reply by MMH/OH on 10/28/13 3:41pm
Msg #490060

Another Title Situation

Got a call today. Guy bought a motorcycle and seller already signed and he wanted me to notarize it. I let him know I could not do that unless he had the seller come with him and resign it in my presence and to be given the oath/affirmation. Not gonna get fooled again. LOL.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.