Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Check Permissions before downloading updates; e.g. Square.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by JanetK_CA on 10/27/13 2:56pm
Msg #489933

Under Hardware Controls for the latest update for Square (which I've been avoiding), I finally tapped on that section to drill down for the details - and I'm sure glad I did! Here's what it says:

<<Change your audio settings

Allows the app to modify global audio settings such as volume and which speaker is used for output.

Record audio

Allows the app to record audio with the microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.

Take pictures and videos

Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.>>

There is also a permission granted to access account information on our phone. OK, maybe that has something to do with being able to verify who we are and get the payment to the right place, although I would think that would be handled by a unique account number associated with the app - and stored in their data base - not any other account information actually stored in our phones. But recording audio and taking pictures and videos - that we may not even be aware of?? I can't think of a single reason for this permission to be granted - and I think it goes waaaayyyyyy over the line. Am I missing something?

Do you read the permissions on your apps before you download updates? If not, you probably should! You would be amazed at what is included in some of them.

I have an Android phone. Is this any different with iPhones? (I doubt it.)

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/27/13 4:08pm
Msg #489944

Because our phones are just glorified radios, like CBs, I don't doubt there's really any privacy on them. There's no privacy in life....all of those club cards...the ones you can use your phone number instead having to show the card to get whatever current discounts - those club cards. Club cards just monitor what you buy. Won't be much longer that cash is traced back to the user, as in you get money from the ATM or at the teller window and the serial numbers from the currency is registered to you. You spend the cash and "they" know who paid cash, and what you bought.

I said all of that to say I allow every app (that I have and initiated having) to be updated. It doesn't matter - we have no privacy. We *think* we do...we don't.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 10/27/13 4:43pm
Msg #489948

Traceable cash

Thanks for reminding me of a Painful experience of working in the real (banking) world!

{See Msg #489947 below.}

You're right, all this technology tracking completely exposes us: phones, gps, tolls taken, etc.

Then there are disclosures, forms we sign arbitrarily in everyday transactions.

Reply by MW/VA on 10/27/13 6:30pm
Msg #489951

I was going over some security issues recently at my bank--

like depositing checks from the phone, etc. I was told those are all secure sites, but Square is not secure.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 10/27/13 6:52pm
Msg #489954

Re: I was going over some security issues recently at my bank--

I'm one of those who have resisted using my phone for banking, but the fact is that the phone is more secure than using the Internet. You just have to be sure that your phone is not set to use a wi-fi connection if available.

I'm always amazed to see people at Starbucks or wherever taking advantage of the free wi-fi connection and using it to check email or do their shopping. Those free hotspots are the absolute WORST place for that type of access, because you never know who might be eavesdropping...

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 10/27/13 8:53pm
Msg #489960

Security issues (and then some)

Any recent discoveries of privacy implications with the new TS app? I imagine it beats being rudely interrupted with a phone call during a signing right before you close.

I just don't want to find my pc's web cam spying on me (mine may be too old for the built-ins out today); TMI! I heard a news report once about needing to cover the computer lens when not in use, as unsuspecting persons have been known to be secretly monitored from behind . . . um, well you know what I'm sayin'

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.