Notary Rotary
Code of Conduct
Notary Discussion History

Code of Conduct
Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Matt_VA on 10/30/13 2:12pm
Msg #490503

Code of Conduct

I think we should all forward the 32 page code request to our respective SOS's. I'm not sure if all this will be legal in every state or not. In Virginia, they seem not to care about much, but it's at least one action we can take. This seems to dictate our state notary laws to an outside group. Maybe some state will look into it.

Reply by MW/VA on 10/30/13 2:50pm
Msg #490511

Yes, Matt, I think they're failing to take into account that

the only Laws I'm required to honor is VA's notary laws. This whole action is going to hurt a lot of us that are seasoned pros, and meet or exceed all these requirements. This all places the burden on the NSA's--again, not accountable for ss, for instance.
IMO, it's an over-reaction to the Dodd-Frank Act.

Reply by jnew on 10/30/13 3:02pm
Msg #490519

It seems that they no longer want NSA's they want CSS's. I guess the salient question is whether or not the code of conduct contradict's the notary requirements of any state. Those should be identified for us.

Reply by Matt_VA on 10/30/13 3:54pm
Msg #490537

Well, I emailed the code to SOS Virginia with a short note asking for guidance. Bet I'll never even hear back. All they would say is that we can refuse any notary act we want which the CSS code states we cannot do, by the way.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/30/13 4:01pm
Msg #490538

I'm not asking my state to review that Code of Conduct

I know what I can do under notary law and that's what I'll follow. I haven't read their Code of Conduct but it's my guess it refers more to loan signings than general notary work and notary law.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.