Notary Rotary
Could this be the tipping point?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda_in_IN on 10/30/13 11:46am
Msg #490460

The "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" has a marketing plan and mission like no other. Think about it:
1. For whatever reason, they create an association to serve as the do-all, go-to organization for the profession of notaries. Not just mobile notaries, but ALL notaries. They create the perception that they are the last word, and there is LOTS of money to be made as a mobile notary. People believed them.
2. In order to try to drive the industry to a certain "technological" advantage for them, they create what is to be known as Enjoa. It was hoped to become the standard means of operation for and used throughout the profession. People believed them, but--as I remember--the program did not live up to the expectations of the "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak".
3. Realizing that training may be lax or non-existent, the "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" saw another opportunity. Among the industry contacts, they created a program which included a test to prove knowledge of the profession. It was available nationwide, and was touted as one that could be used as a standard. And people believed and came to call this "national certification" where in fact none existed.
4. As a result of federal legislation, financial institutions had to develop and maintain strict record keeping criteria as it relates to the integrity and safekeeping of personal information on their customers to avoid identity theft (probably a simplification, but it works for me--although long removed from the South there are still times when I think slower). The "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" saw an opportunity to provide a service by telling financial institutions "we will do this for you so you have time/money for other things" and created another need of check/verifying "credentials". (Verifying credentials has been around a long time, probably most notably in the medical profession. Doctors need to verify their education and background for hospital privileges.) Their ability to deliver on this promise spread among those who needed this service. And people bought the service to improve on their own bottom line.

People have been buying products and services from the "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" for long enough that they are to go-to-guy. It's become second nature. The kool-aid has been distributed in mass quantities. They have created needs, and then created the products to fulfill those needs. In no particular order, the workforce, the idea of certification, the test for certification, the ability to provide background checks, and a Notarial Code that has been adopted in some format by probably all 50 states.

Now we come to what I am going to call a tipping point. A tipping point, according to Malcolm Gladwell, is where things can go either way or another. This effects a change that is irreversible, and by tipping one way improves situations and life as we know it, and the other way not so much. Each state has its own criteria and standards on how how notaries are commissioned in each state. But--and this is my own personal opinion--will the next step will be a push, and not necessarily by the "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" but by financial institutions (and here is where the TC and SS may really jump in) who may feel that one standard stating the legislation commissioning notaries, what notaries can be paid, and aspects of how/what they do ACROSS THE COUNTRY for all 50 states is a good thing?

This is just my opinion. I welcome all points pro and con, but it would be greatly appreciated if discussion could remain civil. Believe me, I hope this isn't the case. I've read stories about national notaries and the problems that can arise.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/30/13 12:04pm
Msg #490464

Not hardly.... far from the tipping point

http://cdn.nationalnotary.org/News_and_Resources/Library/US_Jurisdictions_%20Adopting_Model_Notary_Act.pdf

Link is from...well, you can see it... they claim more than I see and far from 50 states.

However, they will go as far as we and our respective SOS allow.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/30/13 12:07pm
Msg #490466

Forgot to add

The 'star' indicating adoption of 'part' of the MNA... they don't say what part. Could be something as simple as requiring a signer to be physically in front of you...which is a universal anyway.
Those 'star' states can chime in as to exactly what 'part' has been adopted.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 10/30/13 7:23pm
Msg #490578

"Now we come to what I am going to call a tipping point. A tipping point, according to Malcolm Gladwell, is where things can go either way or another. This effects a change that is irreversible, and by tipping one way improves situations and life as we know it, and the other way not so much. Each state has its own criteria and standards on how how notaries are commissioned in each state. But--and this is my own personal opinion--will the next step will be a push, and not necessarily by the "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" but by financial institutions (and here is where the TC and SS may really jump in) who may feel that one standard stating the legislation commissioning notaries, what notaries can be paid, and aspects of how/what they do ACROSS THE COUNTRY for all 50 states is a good thing? "

I've read Gladwell's book, and I really don't think we're at what he called a tipping point. As you said, each state has it's own criteria and standards, but despite what the "organization-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak" has been saying, there is no movement to adopt standardized notary practices. Yes, they're trying hard, but it's not even on the radar in most states.

The actual tipping point will come if and when the states start implementing what that organization is proposing. My guess is that it won't happen anytime soon.

Reply by John/CT on 10/30/13 9:10pm
Msg #490599

Ah yes, it all goes back to Susan & Scott Pense ....

and, how simple it was ... before they sold out to the "organization-whose-name-we dare-not-to-speak", when the designation, Certified Signing Agent was not just a commodity to be exploited, but had a real value added component. Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.