Notary Rotary
Here's a new one for NSA's. My car was towed tonight. I
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by MW/VA on 10/14/13 10:24pm
Msg #488146

had a signing at a condo complex. I noticed there was no off-street parking, and I parked in front of their driveway. I wasn't there more than a half-hour. When I come out--guess what--my car's gone! It was upsetting to the borrowers & me, of course. They tried to call their management co.--after hrs., of course. I had arrived at 6:55 for a 7:00 signing. I noticed later on the towing co's. record that they had towed at 7:05. Ridiculous, right???? It cost me $145 to get my car released from the towing co. They didn't bother to knock on the door. Also, my phone no. is on the back window of my vehicle!
These cos. are horrible--they are "repo man" and have no respect for anyone. Fortunately, the borrower drove me to get my car. We'll be in touch with the management co. tomorrow & I think I'll even get an attorney.

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/15/13 6:31am
Msg #488162

Wow, Marilynn! That is one takes the cake! Geeezzzz n/m

Reply by ME/NJ on 10/15/13 6:33am
Msg #488163

Sorry to hear about that, we have had issues in our community with Fire Lane parking and guest parking in other peoples driveways and handicap spaces. We have signs posted car will be towed if not parked in proper area. Tow truck guy cruises the lot and trust me when the first couple of cars were towed the problem disappeared.

If you park in a Fire Lane it is a 200 city ticket and 200 to get car back.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/15/13 8:29am
Msg #488168

Sorry this happened to you. I would have been ticked. The borrowers should have mentioned this to you and told you where to park. I don't park in driveways unless its absolutely necessary. Many times when I get to the door I ask if I'm ok where I am parked. Not always, but sometimes. One time I was parked in the street but there was no parking on that side of the street. I had to go turn around and park on the other side. The borrowers were kind enough to tell me. I didn't see the sign.

I'd be asking someone to help pay for the towing bill, although none of the parties is responsible but you. Still ugh

Reply by 101livescan on 10/15/13 8:49am
Msg #488170

It's a sleezy way to make a buck, IMO. I think tow truck drivers should be live scanned.

It hasn't happened to me, but I would be upset that the borrowers didn't forewarn you. Cost of doing business is sometimes not worth it.

The clients should have met you somewhere if parking is such an issue in their complex.

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/15/13 8:51am
Msg #488171

So sorry you had to go through that! One time is enough for sure.

If it had happened here, you would be out a min of $600 (for one day).

We have street sweeping in our neighborhood twice a week. I see tickets being issued every Thurs and Fri for people visiting and not aware of the signs. Those ticket are $65 dollars and they use a "reader" like a radar gun, zap, ticket prints. it's sad.

Reply by 101livescan on 10/15/13 9:09am
Msg #488173

Parking tickets on street sweeping days runs $50 or so. It's a major source of city revenue. Plus all the paid parking lots after 1.15 hours. The Parking Enforcement Accounting Manager is sitting in county jail right now for embezzling just short of $1 million right under our Chief of Police's nose. People had been telling him for years it was going on, and he didn't pay attention until one day the auditors....

Reply by Clem/CA on 10/15/13 9:16am
Msg #488174

Being the President of a Condo Complex I say that it was too bad that you did not ask about parking when you entered the borrowers home, or they did not ask where you parked. Parking in front of garages, in a fire lane, or on the street in a planed unit development is something you should be aware of. I'm sure there were signs posted,as the tow truck would most likely be breaking the law if there was not. Expensive lesson to learn, but you may want to ask about parking as part of your borrower confirmation call. Sorry that had to happen to you.

Reply by walthtz on 10/15/13 9:17am
Msg #488175

This is also a good reason to keep your registration / Insurance cards on you, NOT in the car.
A lot of of towing companies will NOT allow you to get your car w/o seeing proof that the car is yours.
& they won't let you get out of the car.
Just a thought......

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/15/13 9:56am
Msg #488179

Walt, In Ca it must remain in the vehicle n/m

Reply by ME/NJ on 10/15/13 10:03am
Msg #488180

NJ you're not suppose to leave it in car in case stolen or

broken into, but almost everyone including me keep it in the car.

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/15/13 10:54am
Msg #488183

we have two..one for auto and one for wallet. n/m

Reply by walthtz on 10/15/13 12:57pm
Msg #488206

Re: NJ you're not suppose to leave it in car in case stolen or

Hi
This i know. ours are in our wallet, Not in car., But I guess this like everything else differs where u live.
The other thing is, if your car gets stolen, you have just told the thief where u live.

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/15/13 1:03pm
Msg #488208

what you don't have to also carry your auto registration?

But maybe when your car is stolen you don't report it or have a vehicle that you can automatically lock out the starter and disable it.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/15/13 9:24pm
Msg #488267

Never heard that, just that you need to present it if asked.

I always carry registration and proof of insurance in my wallet. If car is stolen, they then have your address, too, and can come clean you out there, as well.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 10/15/13 10:07am
Msg #488181

Marilyn, you obviously don't know the nature of towing companies! I can tell you how ruthless they are here. I have had this unfortunate experience a time or two (actually 3). Very memorable - like the times I had stomach flu/intestinal virus. You know exactly when/where and what you did moments before.

A tower will most definitely NOT call you prior to towing; the client (mgmt co. or retailer) hires them to Tow "unlawfully" parked vehicles and they do! Happened to me twice by my own homeowner assoc. I took too long getting a community decal once after getting another car, and was towed right out of my assigned parking spot. Had to call a cab to get to work! Condo Assn refused to reimburse me.

Another incident happened out in Arlington where parking fee was a minimal $5 or so; But, said I, "I'll only be a minute." The tow guy actually smiled, held the door open for me and 5 min later when I returned, my car was gone. And it was running! Purse, cell phone, all in the vehicle. A kind Samaritan had to help me find the lot and get the car - a $100 later.

Lesson I learned: (1) Pay the dang $5 if you have to and (2) Never trust a grinning man posing as a gentleman Wink

Sorry you had this experience. Unlike some, let it be your Last!

Reply by MW/VA on 10/15/13 11:09am
Msg #488186

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I live in a condo myself & should

have known better. I'm always extra careful about where I park. What gets me about this one is that there was no off-street parking available. The borrowers have told me that many vendors (cable co., etc.) park on the street for short-term. This was a set-up, and I know it. They towed my car within 10 minutes of my arrival. ;-(

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/15/13 9:41pm
Msg #488269

Re: Thanks, everyone. Yes, I live in a condo myself & should

"This was a set-up..."

You're probably right. This is a very profitable scam in many cities and certain tow truck companies have areas they target. The driver can be a sitting duck in some cases, with very poor signage or disclosure info. (I saw some 60-minutes type report on it.) Once they've got your car, you're at their mercy and the fees can rise very rapidly.

I hate it when I have to go to apartment or condo communities where there is little or no parking for guests. I was at an appointment recently where the only parking that wasn't several long blocks away (perhaps a 10 - 15 minute walk - and late at night, of course), was right in front of the mailboxes of that building. Even in front of their driveway (where I've been stuck before) wouldn't work because it was in a corner and would have blocked a neighbor's garage. I just don't understand why a developer can get away with designing something like that - and worse, why anyone would live in that kind of set-up, with no parking.

Oh, wait... I DO know how they can get away with it! Some people in my city just tried to get through a petition (which failed by 400 signatures) to stop a new development that was recently approved by newly elected city council members who got major donations from said developers. The set-up includes tandem parking to qualify for the required number of spaces. Can you imagine having to have a car moved in order to get yours out? That would drive me nuts - which it has done when someone I didn't know decided to park in my driveway, blocking me in my garage. (That stuff only happens, of course, when you need to leave NOW for an appointment, right?! Wink)

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 10/15/13 1:00pm
Msg #488207

Lincoln Park Pirates. Sorry that this happened to you,

Marilynn.

Infamous tow company in Chicago..

Song that might make you feed , maybe, a little bit better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=389Rk1jzPMk

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/15/13 4:23pm
Msg #488233

Nice video, Bob! :D n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 10/15/13 7:14pm
Msg #488253

Funny! Thanks! ;-) n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/15/13 5:08pm
Msg #488238

So sorry you had to go thru that headache. These tow characters have perfected their craft....they are quick and silent. Their trucks must have silent engines too - you don't hear a thing. $145 is highway robbery....but what can you do but pay it. It's rotten that the borrowers didn't say anything about the strict parking rules in their condo complex...bummer.

Once I got a street sweeping ticket where the time on the sign showed "Street Sweeping 10am - 1pm....I parked at 12:55pm.......I couldn't believe some meter maid was still lurking in the area for the last 5 minutes.

Reply by MW/VA on 10/15/13 7:16pm
Msg #488255

Haha. There was a guy that ticked people at parking meters

at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. People referred to him as the "Parking Nazi"! He was, too. Took his job/power way too seriously! LOL

Reply by Alice/MD on 10/16/13 11:25am
Msg #488317

Re: Haha. There was a guy that ticked people at parking meters

Sorry about the parking Nazi experience. They are revenue collecting... because they need the money.

Reply by MW/VA on 10/16/13 2:43pm
Msg #488350

I need my money, too!!! They get enough of it in taxes. ;-) n/m

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 10/17/13 9:43am
Msg #488418

I live in a condo where in the lat 14 yrs, they've had at

10 different parking regs! I ALWAYS check & double check w/ borrowers. When they say vaguely "...ohhh, it should be alright; I think you'll be okaaaay..." , I firmly ask, "are you sure??? I don't want my car towed!" Sometimes I get the impression that the BO's are more concerned about getting their loan signed...at YOUR risk - one which I'm not willing to take. I have however done signingsfacing the door / window "so I can make sure I don't get towed".

The tow co's are like vultures - in the DC area, if you want to get rich quick, open a towing co or parking garage - legal highway robbery!

So sorry about your ordeal MW/VA - that's my WORST nightmare!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.