Notary Rotary
How much should you charge for mileage?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Shane Webster on 10/27/13 10:32pm
Msg #489966

Work has slowed down in my area and the assignments are getting to be a great distance from me. When I work the numbers out it all looks good but I want to make sure I'm not undercutting anyone else or even cheating myself. I've charged anywhere from .75 to .90 a mile(trucker fees) it depend on what the contract is with that particular company and how much work I get from them.

Reply by sueharke on 10/27/13 11:56pm
Msg #489967

Add up all the costs of operating your vehicle - gas, repairs, oils changes, tires, insurance (remember the business use of your car makes for higher insurance rates), interest on car payments, etc and get a total of all these expenses. Determine the total miles driven (business and personal). Divide total expenses/total mileage = cost per mile.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/28/13 12:42am
Msg #489968

And don't forget to factor in something for your time - perhaps the biggest part of that cost. When you're behind the wheel, it's kind of tough to be productive at anything else that's going to bring in any cash flow...

Reply by walthtz on 10/28/13 8:16am
Msg #489971

go with the IRS Mileage.
Then it can't be refuted by the customer.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/28/13 8:22am
Msg #489972

Disagree - that IRS rate is what you can take as a

deduction - it is not a true indicator of the cost of operating the vehicle and certainly doesn't include the time involved in travel, which need to be taken into account.

Mileage rates are going to vary from person to person, vehicle to vehicle. AND by whether or not your state allows you to charge mileage or not.

Reply by John/KY on 10/28/13 10:27am
Msg #489987

Re: Disagree - that IRS rate is what you can take as a

Instead of charging mileage, I charge by county where the signing is located around my home county. Files within my home county are XXX, i.e. standard set fee. Files in a county which borders my home county are XXX + $25. Files outside those counties (I get very very few as they are quite rural) I quote for individually depending on what its worth to me. This way when I get a call I don't have to google how many miles or do any math and I can give them a quick answer.

Reply by sueharke on 10/28/13 11:50am
Msg #490003

Re: Disagree - that IRS rate is what you can take as a

That is a good idea.

Reply by sueharke on 10/28/13 11:49am
Msg #490002

Anything can be refuted by someone if he or she wants to. Stick to your guns about your true costs and use the IRS rate if you want top keep the auditor off your tail, except for proving the number of miles driven.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/29/13 3:44am
Msg #490162

I would heartily agree if we're talking about what to deduct for expense purposes, but when it comes to what to charge clients, I think we're talking apples and oranges... Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.