Notary Rotary
Iinput on AZ and on proving citizenship and IDs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda_in_IN on 10/10/13 12:11pm
Msg #487631

Below I get blown up, I realize this article focuses on proving citizenship for the privilege of voting. But in another link I have read the story indicated that not being able to prove citizenship may affect ability to get drivers license or state ID. So, for those in AZ who know these things, inquiring minds elsewhere might want to know . . . how if at all does this legislation affect someone in AZ getting a drivers license or other state-issued, photo-ID that might ultimately need to be used by notaries in other states?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/07/arizona-voting-proof-citizenship_n_4060734.html

Reply by Darlin_AL on 10/10/13 12:56pm
Msg #487638

ok, so w/the DL (or other photo id) we are identifying our signer. W/patriot act id forms, there's the section for non-citizen id requirements. Most likely a non-citizen DL would have it noted somehow the type of license it is?

Reply by VT_Syrup on 10/10/13 1:04pm
Msg #487639

That Huffington Post article is really a poor piece of reporting. It confuses residency and citizenship. It says that ID must be provided because people are using a state form rather than a federal form, but forms don't look at ID; people look at ID. So the question is how would the form be delivered to election officials, and how would the ID be inspected.

It also indicates a driver's license can be used to prove citizenship. Maybe citizenship status is marked on AZ driver's licenses, but there is no such indication on most state driver's licenses.

From a notary's point of view, citizenship does not matter. Anyone who can present adequate ID can have a document notarized, whether a citizen, a foreigner who is legally present, or a foreigner who is present illegally. Indeed, I would imagine a foreigner who's legal presence is being questioned would need to have documents notarized in the process of resolving the question.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 10/10/13 2:01pm
Msg #487643

You cannot get a DL or a State ID in AZ unless you are legal. Period. End of story. I have posted the MVD link below.

http://www.azdot.gov/docs/mvd-forms-pubs/96-0155.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.