Notary Rotary
My Rights/Responsibilities as a Notary....add yours here
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by MAC/WA on 10/31/13 11:02pm
Msg #490792

I have the right/responsibility or to.....
*To be respected and not demeaned by signing companies, title companies or
*Turn down $60 loans
*Add faxback fees
* Turn down loans from companies that have not paid me in the past
*Raise me fees in light of new certification and training fees (Im adding $10 to each loan)
*Leave a signing with a belligerant borrower who is angry with the lender for pressuring him to take a loan, or just angry

Respond with your rights, responsibilities, we may

Reply by MAC/WA on 10/31/13 11:50pm
Msg #490801

Oh, I forgot, I have the right to NOT return a call from

a title/escrow/or signing company after they leave me a voice message because they AREN"T waiting for my call back.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/1/13 12:12am
Msg #490805

We should have the right to expect the same privacy protections against identity theft as anyone else - especially when it comes to the distribution of social security numbers. BTW, for anyone signing up for the NNA BGC, I suggest you also read their privacy policy very carefully, along with the Authorization for Release of Information you have to sign electronically (after you've already provided your SSN) to begin the BGC process. I believe it leaves open the possibility for them to provide SSNs to lenders, title co's, etc. (Got this information from a very reliable source, who has asked for a written clarification.)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 8:29am
Msg #490814

Reminder about the NNA BGC

If you authorize the release of the actual information - your social security number and numbers for ALL DL's you've held are contained throughout that report. I know - I have it and when I found that I printed it out and blocked out that information -

NotRot's does not contain that PII

Reply by CJ on 11/1/13 9:29am
Msg #490819

I somehow thought title is supposed to . . .

I somehow thought title was supposed to go over the HUD before we get there. When they do, the borrowers know what's going on, and the signing is a breeze. I don't mind explaining it, but its nice when I'm not the one pointing out the surprises.

I don't like it when title lies about what the numbers on the HUD mean, like, "that number at the very bottom that you have to bring in is just your extra mortgage payment" That's always tricky to untangle. Or the borrowers say, "Why are they taking out more money for my new escrow account? They told me they would just move the money over from my existing account". I try to explain that, and they think there is a shell game going on. I also have a hard time explaining "principle paydown". It always sounds like someone is randomly pocking money. I wish title wold just tell them the truth in plain language, and don't treat them like babies that need to be pacified with a fairy tale about their HUD.

Reply by walthtz on 11/1/13 10:08am
Msg #490826

Re: I somehow thought title is supposed to . . .

In New Jersey, we Notaries are NOT allowed to explain the numbers.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 11:08am
Msg #490848

Walt, you can talk about the numbers without

venturing into UPL - the numbers are very self-explanatory and there's no harm in going over them with the borrowers..

It's the WHY you can't get into ..

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/1/13 10:43am
Msg #490837

JanetK, Linda..ALL that is why I will never

sign a release form such as this one is written.....we are clients, customers also and entitled to privacy protection as well.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/1/13 4:09pm
Msg #490935

Re: JanetK, Linda..ALL that is why I will never

The release form I'm talking about is apparently a pre-requisite to starting the NNA BGC. As I understand it, it's done online, as part of initiating the background screening process that's already been paid for. So anyone who decides to go the NNA route, has to agree to that before the screening process can even begin!

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/1/13 11:10am
Msg #490850

As Independent Contractors we should all have our

own set of so called rights and responsibilities.

Stephanie

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/1/13 2:34pm
Msg #490898

Doesn't hurt to share our thoughts on what they are...

Maybe by brainstorming, we can get to a set that we can agree to. Our biggest obstacle in fighting anything back is we are independent and unorganized. the NNA does not serve our interests in the least. if we notaries who are on the firing line were to have our own code of conduct, rights and responsibilities, come together to establish a collection function to collect our past due fees, maybe adopt a schedule of fees based upon things that take into account region, level of experience, size of loan package, etc. we would be better able to fight for ourselves. Why not start with our expectations and what we think our responsibilities are. Lets start somewhere.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.