Notary Rotary
Okay, I get it now
Notary Discussion History

Okay, I get it now
Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 10/29/13 10:09pm
Msg #490367

Okay, I get it now

In CA alone, we are 100,000 short the number of notaries that were on the SOS database in 2007.

Of this number, today, 161K and some odd, I wonder how many

1) Will allow their commission to expire, given the rock and roll of our business these days, and not renew
2) Are members of the XYZ
3) Are signing agents

Of course, in CA we are held to much higher standards than most other states. At least one state, New Mexico, does not conduct background checks as a prerequisite to becoming a notary, shocking huh? If you live in NM, and a notary comes to your door, it is very likely this person could have been released from prison or jail recently. No screening.

State by state, I'm curious

How many notaries in each state
How many notaries are signing agents in your state
How many notaries belong to the XYZ

Do you see what I'm getting at? Numbers must be so terribly off, this is a marketing plan to increase membership numbers, sell, sell, sell certification tests and BGS, and XYZ membership.

I don't mind compiling the numbers if you don't mind doing the homework for your specific state.

Let's get to work! Let's find out what the numbers show.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to become a notary these days, I'll bet the XYZ classes are smaller than ever! Just like 2008.

Reply by 101livescan on 10/29/13 10:53pm
Msg #490369

more stats

4.3 million notaries, but only 215,000 are in the XYZ....not good stats to me
how can the XYZ be non-profit ??? doesn't sound like they are a charity company, really

Join the more than 215,000 Notaries nationwide who benefit from XYZ membership:
• Be recognized as an industry professional
• Ensure compliance with new-law updates and changes in regulations
• Protect yourself against lawsuits and notarial liability
• Network with colleagues, notary professionals, and industry experts nationwide

Reply by loancloser46 on 10/29/13 11:08pm
Msg #490370

You hit the nail on the head....xzy trying to make $$$...

They have somehow conned FNF into thinking they are the only game or the best game in town.Yes I know Sterling is also an option however XYZ is really being pushed up our.... If enough of us do not buy into this BS it too will die. Ohhhh XYZ..... you are such a pain in the a$$. This is such a shakedown of notaries.

Reply by loancloser46 on 10/29/13 11:09pm
Msg #490371

meant xyz.....geez need to wear glasses.. n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 10/29/13 11:11pm
Msg #490372

Re: meant xyz.....geez need to wear glasses..

me too...specs not working so well, need updating and more carrots!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/30/13 12:52am
Msg #490383

Re: more stats

They are NOT a non-profit organization. A long while back, I tried to look them up on a registry of 501(c)3 organizations (can't remember the name of the site) and just found their foundation, under a separate name. I'd guess that's a very small part of their overall operation - and just an off-shoot. So it really bugs me that they choose to operate under a ".org" domain. Just one more example, imo, of deceptive business practices.

Reply by 101livescan on 10/30/13 8:07am
Msg #490398

Just another ORG

Domain Name:SIGNINGPROFESSIONALSWORKGROUP.ORG
Created On:14-Oct-2013 22:29:45 UTC
Last Updated On:28-Oct-2013 19:30:18 UTC
Expiration Date:14-Oct-2014 22:29:45 UTC
Registrant Name:Keith Roberts
Registrant Organization:National Notary Association
Registrant Street1NaNa.O. Box 4567
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Chatsworth
Registrant Phone:+1.8187394000

Reply by 101livescan on 10/30/13 10:13am
Msg #490445

Hold the phone!

Website says they ARE nonprofit.

As the largest and oldest organization serving the nation’s 4.4 million Notaries, the NONPROFIT professional Association serves a membership that represents every U.S. state and jurisdiction — and many other countries — by promoting notarial best practices that bolster consumer protection and by inspiring Notaries to excel in their important role as deterrents to fraud.

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/29/13 11:58pm
Msg #490378

How many notaries are commissioned just for employment? They only notarize for the job and nothing more. I most be the odd woman out because I didn't go through XYZ to get commissioned. In fact, I'd never even heard of them until after I was commissioned. I heard a radio ad 6 months before I followed through with becoming commissioned and the ad highlighted a flexible schedule and being your own boss. Said nothing about making $$$$$$$$$$$$. Where are folks hearing this "make $$$$$$$$$$ propaganda??

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 10/30/13 7:27am
Msg #490389

XYZ CEO job posting from 2010

http://nationalnotary.jobinfo.com/public/print_description.php?jid=9901385

Positioning, marketing - this is about the 'appearance of propriety'. Of course the industry cleans out the corners during down-time, but we have a convergence of this scramble mode with the CFPB's influence, all kinds of new regulations and stepped-up liability.

I hate to sound like such a cynic, but ... it's about how things will appear, the first time something is tested in court. The collective industry doesn't want to spend good money after bad or lower profit margins by individually creating their own versions of What Looks Good. They'd rather use someone else's dollars and then follow the protocol.

The CFPB has helped create the problem by leaving a lot of definitives in the gray area. They say "You must achieve this" and they don't define what "this" is, or HOW to achieve it. This is what paved the way for 3rd party organizations who want to claim their risk management protocols are it - the best, the most comprehensive, the 'new' most widely-recognized with the greatest numbers of people having been 'vetted'.

The organization with a widely recognized brand, with long-standing relationships in all the right places, would certainly gain exponentially by increasing the sheer numbers (the greater that appearance of propriety). This enables the lending industry to sigh in relief that they've found something established, something they don't have to do themselves, something they don't even have to pay for, to use as the solution. How wrong could this go, if in court you had to say "Well, we followed the largest standardized solution available". This is IMO precisely what certain organizations dream of being, and have been doing more than just dreaming about it since at least 2005.

In my own opinion, the 'big slip' of recommended minimum fees way back when was without purpose or mutuality.

(Heavy sigh.)

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/30/13 7:36am
Msg #490391

Read Renee's Msg & link and then read the link I'm posting

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/National-Notary-Association-Reviews-E463776.htm

'Nuf said.

Reply by 101livescan on 10/30/13 7:57am
Msg #490394

HOLY COW!

I know at least one title/escrow company who has pretty much the same reputation. Since August, a half dozen revenue earning employees have left for other pursuits.

Meanwhile, their published employee evaluation of the company says everything is just great, including employee morale, NOT!

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/30/13 8:07am
Msg #490397

Renee and Lee that's for your post

Renee and Lee, thanks it makes me happy and sad. Happy that I have been retired for 17 years and not have to deal with any of this stuff.....and sad because a lot of people, specially my friends all over will never have the opportunity because of greedy companies/people.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 10/30/13 9:16am
Msg #490412

augh ... I meant was NOT without purpose or mutuality. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.