Notary Rotary
Please date docs for yesterday
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 10/28/13 2:56pm
Msg #490043

Very late docs, had to move signing to next day, SS said, "just date them for yesterday." Very upset that I could not comply. Do they have any idea what that could end up costing us if it all went south?

Reply by HisHughness on 10/28/13 3:01pm
Msg #490044

The date of the dox is irrelevant to you. What is relevant is the date of the notarization.

Reply by desktopfull on 10/28/13 3:12pm
Msg #490049

I agree, but from the OP they are asking for the docs to be

post dated.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 10/28/13 3:19pm
Msg #490050

NO. n/m

Reply by CJ on 10/28/13 5:17pm
Msg #490091

My 2 cents.

When I was new, I understood that backdating was a felony with a $10,000 fine and possible jail time, but I asked a signing service WHY it was so bad. They said that if it is backdated, every is in trouble: notary, signing service, title, lender, etc., but the borrowers are blameless.

Someone else told me that the borrowers don't go free, because they are part of a conspiracy to commit a felony.

For someone to ask you to backdate I think is a misdemeanor, because they are asking you, and therefore conspiring with you to commit a crime.

Also, think about this: on your ack, you are saying, under penalty of perjury, that this people appeared before you on that day.

Once, a title company asked me to backdate, and I said no, but I reported it to the SS. They need to know that the title company is asking their notaries to commit crimes.

JUST say NO! I would not backdate even for a relative. Why would you backdate for a stranger? If this all catches up with you, you KNOW everyone else will deny their involvement and throw you under the bus. I'd rather lose a SS than pay that fine and go to jail.

Reply by ikando on 10/28/13 5:38pm
Msg #490094

Re: My 2 cents.

Amen, CJ.

Reply by doglover/CA on 10/28/13 7:24pm
Msg #490122

Re: My 2 cents.

I once had to meet with some borrowers for a second trip to resign the deed of trust because it could not be recorded due to damage to the document. The SS asked me to "please" date my acknowledgement for the original date that the document was signed because of the need to "re-create" the document. I refused to do so. A short while later one of the SS employees called me and insisted that I backdate and I again refused. She said that all I needed to do was to do what was asked of me and not make a new entry in my journal book. She also said that she was a notary and did this many times herself.

I still would not do it and even called the state SOS office and they said what I was asked to do was not acceptable. When I met with the borrowers, even they thought that backdating did not make sense. I went ahead and notarized with the date I was meeting with the borrowers. When the loan officer found out I did not backdate and why, he gave me this BS that whomever answered my call to the SOS office gave me the wrong information.

I should have reported the SS for making the backdate request because they had put it in writing for me to do so.

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/28/13 9:18pm
Msg #490144

I agree with Hugh (WOW)

That's twice in one day - how'd that happen? But I digress. Your only concern with dates, is the notarization dates. The doc dates are the TC's problem. Did the company want the notarizations dated the previous day as well?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/28/13 10:26pm
Msg #490157

Re: I agree with Hugh (WOW)

If someone talking to me directly told ME to date the documents the day before, I would assume that to be a request to backdate, since pretty much the only date I ever write on the documents is in the notary certificate (except maybe a Patriot Form, etc.) They could have said, "Please have the borrowers date this yesterday", but they probably wouldn't have because that wouldn't solve their dilemma if the notary put the correct date on their certificate. I strongly suspect they wanted everything dated the day before.

Classic case of people thinking the ends always justify the means. But, as CJ stated - and as we all know - knowingly putting the wrong date on a notary certificate, then signing it, is committing perjury.

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/29/13 6:41am
Msg #490169

@ Janet - Like! :D n/m

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/29/13 6:48am
Msg #490170

@ Scott - never ceases to amaze me what some ask for . . . n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.