Notary Rotary
Question for New Jersey notaries please
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Kathy/NJ on 10/5/13 10:34am
Msg #487107

I read in the NJ Notary Law Primer that to use a credible identifying witness, this person, besides knowing the signer, would have to be personally known by me. The TC is telling me they've never heard of this before. Is this Law Primer correct? Thanks for your help.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/5/13 10:40am
Msg #487108

From your manual..under acks

"Ensure that the signer appears before him/her and presents at least one form of identification (ID) that provides a physical description of the signer-- e.g., driver's license.

Note: Identification documents are not required if: 1) the signer is personally known to the Notary, or 2) a credible witness, known to both the signer and Notary, swears to the identity of the signer."

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue/dcr/geninfo/notarymanual.shtml

Reply by ME/NJ on 10/5/13 10:42am
Msg #487109

A credible witness in NJ, person needs to know who is signing and the notary.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/5/13 10:42am
Msg #487110

Sorry..meant to add - companies don't always

know - some will say and do anything to get the docs signed - follow your manual - in fact I'd send the link to them for their reference.

Reply by Kathy/NJ on 10/5/13 10:47am
Msg #487112

Re: Sorry..meant to add - companies don't always

thanks Linda and Mike

Reply by MW/VA on 10/5/13 11:15am
Msg #487115

If the NJ Notary Law Primer you're referring to is from XYZ,

IMO you might as well toss it. I had one for VA & found it contained a lot of incorrect info., especially about credible witnesses.

Reply by EileenHI on 10/5/13 12:06pm
Msg #487119

In Hawaii, the credible witness must be personally known to the notary and the signer. Creates a real hassle when trying to use witnesses.

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/5/13 12:25pm
Msg #487122

In OK, the same, the credible witness must be personally known to the notary and the signer.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.