Notary Rotary
Title Producers License
Notary Discussion History

Title Producers License
Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by Hart - Marilyn on 10/13/13 6:55pm
Msg #487981

Title Producers License

Does anyone know what states other than Maryland that require Title Producers License??
Thanks

Reply by MW/VA on 10/13/13 6:57pm
Msg #487983

I think Indiana does. There are those who will tell you

that VA and DC also do. There are many of us operating in VA without it.

Reply by Hart - Marilyn on 10/13/13 7:00pm
Msg #487985

Re: I think Indiana does. There are those who will tell you

Here in Maryland we can't do a closing without it. Very costly too!!
Another state only out for the $$

Reply by MW/VA on 10/13/13 7:50pm
Msg #487989

I understand that & it might not be a bad thing. It might

keep down the no. of those who are qualified. I'm curious--are you all getting the "mandatory" NNA cert/bgc thing in MD, too? It would seem really ludicrous with a TPL.

Reply by Linda_in_IN on 10/13/13 9:25pm
Msg #487998

Marilyn, Indiana does require TPL if you are going to work as a notary doing closings. You don't need it for GNW, but the fee for GNW in IN is only $2/signature. And mileage compensation is not specifically mentioned in the fee legislation. So when I asked, I was told by SOS that a fee for "reasonable mileage" is allowed. Additionally, after every closing--in an effort to cut down on mortgage fraud--Indiana requires the notary involved to complete an online form with details of the closing. If you don't complete the form, you are subject to fines and other consequences.

To maintain TPL, you are required to take CEU classes within the two years your license is active. Total outlay for me for the TPL to get going as a notary in IN was about $200, which included $199 for the pre-certification class plus an application fee.

Reply by Hart - Marilyn on 10/14/13 8:37am
Msg #488025

Thank you for the info. We have to renew every 2 years, take 16 credit hours as well. The state test was a bear when I took it in 2003. I have been in this business since 1996 first mortgages...
then I switched to title in 2003. Either way it can be a tough business,!! lol
Have a nice day!!

Reply by Alice/MD on 10/16/13 11:32am
Msg #488318

I agree Marilyn. This is a tough business when we are expected to lower our fee to the same as other states who is not have the same expense.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.