Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
WOULD MY CLIENT NEED A JURAT OR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by immanuel6_CA on 10/9/13 4:53pm
Msg #487552

I have a client who needs to have a type written letter providing authorization to the biological father to act on the minor's behalf for a period of one year. Can I notarize a type written document? Also, would I attach a jurat or acknowledgement? It has been a year since I have notarized any documents. Generally, I notarize real estate documents, not documents of this nature. The biological father will be acting on the child's behalf to enroll the child in school, medical etc.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 10/9/13 4:56pm
Msg #487554

The client must choose n/m

Reply by immanuel6_CA on 10/9/13 4:58pm
Msg #487555

Re: The client must choose

Teresa, thank you so much for your reply. How will the client know which to request? I know that we are unable to provide this information.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/9/13 5:01pm
Msg #487558

Just ask him if he wants to swear to the facts in the document or if he just wants to acknowledge he signed it.

Reply by immanuel6_CA on 10/9/13 5:02pm
Msg #487560

Sylvia, thank you. Perfect!!!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/9/13 5:00pm
Msg #487557

You can notarize a document even if it is handprinted on toilet paper as long as the person has signed it. But you cannot decide on the type of certificate goes on the document. Just tell your client the difference between a jurat and an acknowledgment and let them decide.

Reply by immanuel6_CA on 10/9/13 5:01pm
Msg #487559

Thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know....I do thank you both for your help.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 10/9/13 5:40pm
Msg #487562

As Sylvia said ....

... just explain that CA law does not allow you to choose which certificate to use. Then, just ask him if he wants to swear to the truthfulness of the contents of the doc (jurat) or simply wants to acknowledge that he signed the doc (ack). If I got to choose, it kinda sounds like an ack is what is needed. And BTW: I can't imagine any doctor/school/etc accepting a typewritten letter authorizing some guy who just shows up with it to act on the child's behalf unless the letter is on some sort of official form, in which case it should already have whatever certificate they want completed by the notary. But that's neither here nor there, I guess .....

Reply by Darlin_AL on 10/10/13 10:46am
Msg #487621

Goldgirl, here it is used for the school to allow them to

admit the student. It is just a statement in writing for their files to avoid involvement in custody problems. In the generic enrollment form, there's a requirement for the adult enrolling the student to state their relationship/status to the student. It recites if there's court custody order in place, whether or not the adult is a custodial parent/guardian. So, this instruction from the custodial parent, or court decree re: guardianship, or whatever--would go along with enrollment paperwork. Yes I've seen it w/an Ack.

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/9/13 8:00pm
Msg #487570

Without knowing more, it would be hard for me to do.

Child custody concerns would be outlined by the courts so that request seems our of bounds.

I have seen proof of paternity forms and notarized those. I have never seen a form outlining a "specific" period of time for a "biological" father.

Sounds to me like you are preparing the form which is a no no.

I would be real careful with that request.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/9/13 9:33pm
Msg #487579

Hmm never thought he/she was preparing the document.

But if someone brought me a document or form which was complete and they signed it, I would notarize their signature. The contents of a document are not my concern (unless it was obviously something illegal)

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/10/13 8:00am
Msg #487599

Yes, a completed Doc, no problem here. I know everyone has "their rules" so they would take care of any inconsistencies, not me.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 10/10/13 12:15pm
Msg #487632

Just to clarify ....

The OP offered information as to the contents of the document. It never occurred to me that she was preparing it herself .. and still doesn't. Because the contents of the document are of no concern to a notary, I merely gave my opinion on what sort of reaction a person submitting that document to a school district or a physician in CA might expect. Such a notarized a piece of paper might be accepted in Alabama and any number of other states, but I can practically guarantee that in CA which has an official form or two for everything, if will be met with nonacceptance to put it lightly. But as I said, that's neither here nor there as to the OP's original question... merely an observation on the state of bureaucracy here in CA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.