Notary Rotary
Which pad OS is best for journals and taking credit cards
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2013 Index

Posted by John Charles Gober on 10/1/13 10:19am
Msg #486597

Just read the debate on Paypal vs. Intuit vs. Square, etc. I made a mistake by not doing my homework and now have a windows phone. Curious as to what you all use for journals and credit card readers.

Johnny Five Toes.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 10/1/13 1:19pm
Msg #486626

I understand that traditional Virginia notaries are not required to keep a journal. (By traditional, I mean not doing e-notarization.) So if you keep a journal, you are doing it for your own protection, and it will contain information about paper documents that you performed notarial acts for. Consider that a signature on any kind of signature pad will probably look different than the the signature on the paper documents that were notarized. Alternatively, if you were to take a scan or picture of a paper signature and store that image in your journal, it would not show the indentations that handwriting experts use to detect forgeries. So an electronic journal will provide less protection than a paper journal.

Also, I am not aware of any electronic journal on the market that will resist alterations by the notary to the degree that a paper journal will, so if there is a dispute, you could be accused of having altered your journal to try to cover up your mistakes.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 10/1/13 2:35pm
Msg #486638

There is an iOS app called "iNotary" which looks like it

would be an excellent electronic journal, especially if you are a heavy ipad user. I'm hesitant to give up my paper journal just yet, but iNotary lets you customize the fields, capture photos and signatures, and you can not delete journal entries once you put them in.

Reply by John Charles Gober on 10/2/13 12:28pm
Msg #486745

Re: There is an iOS app called "iNotary" which looks like it

I looked at iNotary. It looks like it keeps your journal on the so called 'Cloud'. Like many notaries I like to keep my journals totally under my control on my computer. It also looks like there is a monthly or per entry fee which cuts deeply into our maximum fee limits.

I have looked at Official Notary" apps but it does not actually keeps a journal but just emails a copy of your entry to the email address of your choice. You still have to transfer the info into a journal. Also I have check with Virgina, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, Florida, and California, the NNA, ASN, and a few other society and can find nobody that recognizes any official status.

Looking for more solutions.

Jophn

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.