Notary Rotary
A new notary called me...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 9/17/13 11:33pm
Msg #484896

Got a call from some guy who said he completed his training from the NNA and just received his commission and wanted to know what being a notary is all about. He wanted to know if I had a moment to answer some questions.

His first question was "what does a Notary do?" I told him to refer to his training.

Second question, "Do you do this full time?" Yes. To which he replied, "Are you able to make a living doing it?" Yes, I make quite a good living doing it.

The questions only became more dumbfounding as the 3 minute call progressed. Finally I informed him that the loan signing market has dried up due to increasing interest rates and lenders not lending money. So I told him it may not be a good venture for him.

Why would someone spend all this $$ to get the training and commission, then still not know what a notary does.... Some people...

Reply by Buddy Young on 9/17/13 11:38pm
Msg #484897

Re: Unbelievable n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 9/17/13 11:43pm
Msg #484898

Either:

1) He is an eccentric old guy with huge discretionary income to squaller;

2) Bored house husband;

3) Needs to meet new people

4) He is clueless in Palm Springs

5) He has a defunct signing service!

I give! Just goes to show you! Takes all kinds.

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 9/18/13 12:04am
Msg #484899

I told him to accept no job less than $150 Smile

Reply by Belinda/CA on 9/18/13 12:41am
Msg #484901

And why is the NNA telling new notaries to find

successful signing agents to mentor them?! This instruction was in their magazine not long ago. They encourage them to call us for further training, answers and support. Can it be because these new notaries are no where near ready to be signing agents let alone general notaries and the NNA is passing the training on to us instead of completing the job themselves? These course providers get paid to train people and we are supposed to do it out of the goodness of our hearts. They promise them a fantastic living from notary work and bless their hearts these new notaries are finding out it is difficult to start and maintain a business. Now is a terrible time to be starting out. Money does not fall in your lap as many sources are leading new notaries to believe.

I get calls all the time, texts, and emails too, from people wanting mentored. The new notaries trained by the NNA should be calling the NNA hot line not us.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/18/13 3:14am
Msg #484903

Re: And why is the NNA telling new notaries to find

Excellent points. What really gets me about that is that some of these same people manage to pass the NNA certification exam and are among the ones the NNA is apparently convincing their buddies at the big title and settlement companies that they should use - exclusively - for their signings.

After all, if they've got the certification, they must know what they're doing, right? Wink BTW, is that certification test still a 4-hour online open book exam? (I think it took me less than half that time as a greenhorn newbie...)

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/18/13 4:00am
Msg #484905

Re: And why is the NNA telling new notaries to find

Remember that one may be able to take and pass the training and even become a certified and background screened SA... without actually being a commissioned notary. At least, it was the last time I checked. Their background check does not include verifying that one actually holds a commission.

Reply by Christine/OK on 9/18/13 5:39am
Msg #484906

Yes! n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 9/18/13 6:59am
Msg #484908

Exactly. That's why I have no respect for that org. They

take their money & then send them out to look for someone who will teach them the ropes. These are desperate times, and people are drawn by this biz because XYZ makes it look so viable.
I'm an advocate of training, etc., so it's just about their profit motives & how unprepared & unrealistic many who go through their programs are.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/18/13 9:29am
Msg #484915

Cy of my commission was required by abc before certification

from what I recall, any place I went online to join or signup required the commission & bond. I read the part about mentoring in wonderment with the same thoughts y'all expressed. The concept seems counterproductive if the "mentee" is in the same area, particularly.

Reply by ToniK on 9/18/13 5:23pm
Msg #485000

I'm listed as a mentor on their site

I've mentored quite a few notaries, mostly not in my state and not through the XYZ. Lol it's a great 2nd income. Why not get paid to help folks out. I can add instructor, trainer, mentor to my resume. Lol

Reply by Christine/OK on 9/18/13 5:41am
Msg #484907

Close to some of the calls I receive . . . :- / n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/18/13 8:08am
Msg #484911

FOUND this on another forum...

" I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest additional sources of income outside of loan signings and general notary work or better yet what different types of general notary work are out there? I'm only aware of wills and car titles. "

This is our competition folks,....now tell the truth, how long do you think they will be around? AND How dangerous are they and how much damage will they cause?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 9/18/13 9:06am
Msg #484913

Re: FOUND this on another forum...

My guess is that left to their own devices, these type of "notaries" won't be around the industry much longer.

It appears, at least to me, they're of the employee mentality: here's this, do that, go there, etc.

JMO

Reply by Barb25 on 9/18/13 11:01am
Msg #484928

The one thing no amount of training can give you

is the ability to THINK. That is what seems to be missing in the people referred to in these posts. Therefore they will never be successful. Nobody can teach that. Not necessarily incompetent people just in the wrong business.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.