Notary Rotary
Debt Settlement
Notary Discussion History

Debt Settlement
Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Colen Poeppelmeyer on 9/16/13 10:35pm
Msg #484823

Debt Settlement

Received a call around 10:30 tonight from Convenient Closer, for a debt settlement for United Debt Services. I accepted the jobs, but when I look at the instructions, I returned the message that I will not be able to perform the closing. I am, according to the instructions, to present the plan to the client, and I was not a notary (as per instructions). I was not allowed to contact the the client at all. Has anyone come across this company before, or anything like it? How can someone know before accepting an assignment?

Reply by jba/fl on 9/16/13 11:00pm
Msg #484824

Last question first: Even if you ask, you can be deceived, so rest assured, nothing you did or did not do.

If you search with the Orange Search button here, you will see that this type job is prohibited by most if not all states, and you don't want to do this if for no other reason that you don't want to be lying and/or misrepresenting yourself. Kind of kills your integrity doesn't it?

As for not calling before going: No - not in this day and age with high auto expenses which should be totally under our control. This does not achieve your objective. Deceptive don't you think?

Apparently you do think so also, so just get rid of it. You will be able to look at yourself in the mirror in the morning and feel good about yourself. This is a desperation measure by desperate people with sleazy ones coming along to take advantage of them.

Of course, they could be totally legit, but do you have the time, energy and where-with-all to check them out after they have asked you to lie?

Reply by MW/VA on 9/17/13 9:17am
Msg #484837

Many of us won't do that kind of work. Since I can't

determine which are scams & which aren't, I won't touch those.
Yes, SS are pretty desperate for work, and these cos. are contacting them.

Reply by Gerry Grummons on 9/17/13 9:37am
Msg #484839

Re: Many of us won't do that kind of work. Since I can't

Have to agree. Most State A. G.'s frown on this activity.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/17/13 11:53am
Msg #484866

It seems any "debt settlement" is a nasty way to earn a buck n/m

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/17/13 11:55am
Msg #484868

Colen, ooops I see it's in yr profile, want to rethink? n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 9/17/13 12:06pm
Msg #484871

Good catch. I didn't see that. He might want to also

break his profile into paragraphs. It's a little hard to read as is.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/17/13 9:09pm
Msg #484893

Re: Good catch. I didn't see that. He might want to also

I will not do these either..I cannot lie and misrepresent myself to people that are in a dire situation and think this a good way to go! I often wonder..If these people can sometimes thousands of dollars in some cases to these debt settlement companies then why dont they apply this money to their debts??

Reply by MW/VA on 9/18/13 7:02am
Msg #484909

I agree. These cos. promise to negotiate with creditors to

accept much less than what is owed. I did taxes for a guy a few years ago that had done that. He drove a Volvo & was pretty well off. They went through debt settlement & then had to claim as income the amt. of money that the cos. had written off. I thought it served him right, actually.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/18/13 7:07am
Msg #484910

Re: I agree. These cos. promise to negotiate with creditors to

Almost all income is supposed to be reported. If written off, that is income, according to IRS. (Last I heard.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.