Notary Rotary
Decisions I regret
Notary Discussion History

Decisions I regret
Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 9/5/13 10:08am
Msg #483285

Decisions I regret

Choosing Yahoo as my email provider. It has gotten inexcusably unreliable and crotchety in the past year.

Electing a carrier that does not support the IPhone. I love Boost Mobile, and I really miss the simple utility of my flipphone, but sometimes, you just have to suck it up.

Joining the NNA my first year as a signing agent. I wish I could say I have never contributed in any fashion to the growth of that lamentable organization.

Never having learned how to use Excel spreadsheets. Keeping books using only Word is as big a drag as trying to cook real Mexican food without using hog lard.

Peeing on that electric fence when I was 13. It still stings when I think about it, which is every time I ... well, never mind.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/5/13 10:33am
Msg #483291

Change from Yahoo - never too late. Every time you get an appt., tell them to send it to the new email addy - that is how I did mine. It worked...just be diligent and tell everyone every single time.

As for the rest....life is too short to hold onto those regrets. Let them go.

Reply by Rita Adu on 9/5/13 10:52am
Msg #483294

Okay...I'll bite

Peeing on an electric fence...lol PLEASE DO TELL

Reply by Karla/OR on 9/5/13 11:34am
Msg #483299

<<Never having learned how to use Excel spreadsheets.Keeping books using only Word is a big drag . . .>>

Hugh, I am just the exact opposite - I dislike Excel but find it a necessary evil. I use the spreadsheet to log my notary jobs (date, name, SS, fee, W-9 sent, invoice sent, paid, collection letter/call, and notes) and have them grouped by each month of the year. I have a separate 'sheet' for each year. I have only taken a basic class but find it VERY EZ to use. I would be glad to send you a link to it if you want or maybe you are past the point of no return!!

Reply by bagger on 9/5/13 12:12pm
Msg #483304

I do much the same, a sheet for every month and a yearly summary that totals automatically!
I love excel

Reply by JPH13/MO on 9/5/13 1:47pm
Msg #483311

free training for Excel...

http://www.free-training-tutorial.com/

Probably lots of free training, but this is the one I found first. You just need to learn the basics to do a simple spreadsheet.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/5/13 6:13pm
Msg #483347

I know I am going to regret revealing this

I have had butt-in-desk chair, accredited college level training in Excel.

It took about as well as the marriage counseling I have done.

I am now divorced, and divorced, and ...... so on.

And I don't know how to use Excel.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/5/13 8:05pm
Msg #483369

I don't use a spreadsheet either, Hugh. I use QB Simple

Start, and will be changing over to another program next year that's specifically designed for notaries.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 9/6/13 10:06am
Msg #483424

Re: I don't use a spreadsheet either, Hugh. I use QB Simple

As MW/VA, I, too, use QuickBooks (since starting this business in 2006). Love it! Does everything I need.

Like you, Hugh, can't quite grasp Excel. Haven't really had to set it up. I can use the spreadsheet once someone else sets it up. Guess I haven't needed it and haven't cared to learn it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.