Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Follow-up to Dual Notary Public (previous posting)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by apsnltch on 9/10/13 12:49pm
Msg #483974

status for the state of MI. I just received this email from the SOS office:

"Thank you for visiting the Michigan Department of State Web Site.

Michigan law does not prevent you from becoming a notary public in another state. Please check with the State of Indiana to see what their requirements are as to residency.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Thank you."

Sincerely,

My opinion is still: that you can NOT be a dual notary in MI(Residing in MI) and INDIANA as IN requirements are "Must be a resident of the State of INDIANA"...checking with the IN SOS may prove to show some exceptions, I don't know, but none on their website under qualifications. Also as determined from prior research a loan signing agent must have a TPL in IN (Edu time and $1000.00)

Just in case anybody still curious!!!

Reply by apsnltch on 9/10/13 12:58pm
Msg #483976

Re: Follow-up to Dual Notary Public (previous posting) PS:

We now know that Michigan doesn't have a problem with Dual Notary though.........

Reply by MW/VA on 9/10/13 1:32pm
Msg #483984

We have a similar situation here between VA & NC. NC

requires residency or a business address. I know many who get around that by getting a mail box at one of the many stores that offer that service because it provides a street address rather than a P.O. box. I don't know if that fits your situation, but it's worth a shot.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/10/13 9:23pm
Msg #484086

From a former Michigan notary now an Indiana notary

Karon,
As I read MI-PA238, specifically Section 55.271, and as the SOS confirmed with you, dual notarization with Michigan and the surrounding states is possible. If you live in a state adjacent to Michigan, and have your primary business in Michigan, even though you are a legal resident of that other state, you can become a notary in Michigan.

"(e) For a person who does not reside in the state of Michigan, demonstrates that his or her principal place of business is located in the county in which he or she requests appointment and indicates that he or she is engaged in an activity in which he or she is likely to be required to perform notarial acts as that word is defined in section 2 of the uniform recognition of acknowledgments act, 1969 PA 57, MCL 565.262."

But to become a notary in Indiana, you must be a legal resident. The process to get your IN commission is simple and fairly quick (compared to Michigan) as it is done completely online. I was able to get my IN notary commission (and certificate) within a week after my initial application online. This was after satisfying the residency requirement and getting my E&O. As far as TPL, and as it was relayed to me by the notary when we closed on our house in Indiana AND in the TPL class I took, basically if you touch closing documents as a notary, you need TPL. If you are not working with closing documents in any way shape or form, (READ only working with general notary type work) TPL is not required as a notary. There are numerous opportunities throughout the state to register and take TPL certification classes, so it shouldn't be that hard.

If you have any questions about notarization or notaries in Indiana, a good resource (and approved instructor in TPL continuing ed classes in Indiana) is Daniel Lewis. He is located outside of Indianapolis.

Reply by apsnltch on 9/11/13 11:29am
Msg #484141

Re: From a former Michigan notary now an Indiana notary

Don't plan on moving back to Indiana, so most likely will never be a notary in IN. But interesting information

Thanks for your input

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.