Notary Rotary
For those who use PayPal, specifically the PayPal Here App,
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Malbrough_LA on 9/3/13 2:07pm
Msg #483041

this is a nice little nugget I just had happen to me. If you are listed in their public directory (apparently you're listed by default...I was not aware of this and am a little miffed if that is the case), others can contact you regarding taking PayPal as a form of payment. I just received a call from a gentleman who wondered what kind of service I provided. I responded that I am a notary and asked if he required my service. No, he just wants to send me $50 via PayPal and he'll stop into my office to pick up $40. (Sounds great I make $10 for doing....nothing?) Not so fast, guy.

I clarify again, so you do not need any notary services? No,no,no I just want to send you the money so I can get some cash to gas my car up (talk about a lolwtf moment for me). I say, tell you what, you come to my office, I'll draw up a contract between you and I stipulating precisely and specifically the terms of this agreement; I'll also have to swear you in for an affidavit I'll need you to sign. I'll call my attorney buddy who will come in and notarize everything for us so it's binding. Sound good? He replied no, I was making this far too difficult for him. (How absolutely reprehensible of me...) He hung up on me. Smile

Now I had no intention of following through with this potential scam, but I do try to have fun with these sorts of things. Anyway, if it helps someone while running their business, mission accomplished. Stay safe!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/3/13 3:04pm
Msg #483048

Was he from Nigeria? Deja vu.... ;>) n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 9/3/13 3:07pm
Msg #483050

That's an interesting new scam. They obviously want your

PayPal acct. to do whatever. Sadly, they're going to get some gullible people to buy into that.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/4/13 2:21am
Msg #483106

If they can do this fast enough, you will see the money go in but not come back out until too late. It will all be chalked up as a mistake on the other end and then you would be out the $40 while they are on to the next victim.

this is a twist on the Craigslist cashier's check scam, where a check is given to you, you make change, the check is no good and you are out in the cold. Always somebody wanting what is yours.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.