Notary Rotary
How low can it go?
Notary Discussion History

How low can it go?
Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Mary_in_VA on 9/27/13 4:56pm
Msg #486294

How low can it go?

Escrow docs only (because all docs were not printed by first notary when package was signed previously, so they weren't signed by first or second borrower!) - @ 50 pages. Probably air express for Sat. deliver and would, ideally, liked shipped back out Saturday. - Offer...wait for it...$25! Uh...no!

This is 30 minutes to drive, park, meet doctor in hospital complex; then, sign; then, ideally, would like shipped back out tomorrow, meaning add 15 minutes of extra driving because I'd have to take to FedEx at the airport, out of my way home!

Countered with my fee..."will get it approved". Then another call...oops...no...we're emailing. Me: add to fee.

Docs were emailed to me, but no order. I send email: "Received docs, but no order. Please send order at agreed fee of *." Get back email: ignore this order, it's being "handled".

Trust me, I'm embarrassed to say I cut my fee quote on this more than I should have, and still...

I know it's not Marilyn taking these ridiculous fees in my area: we know we are worth more than minimum wage!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 9/27/13 5:01pm
Msg #486295

You'd think they would've learned the lesson after the first (low-cost) notary messed things up.

Nope. Here they go ... shopping again! Some people just can't be helped. SMH ......

Reply by Tudi/CA on 9/27/13 6:14pm
Msg #486304

I did a signing recently and was told by the BO that 3 previous notaries had been there and made mistakes, causing re-draws. I was the 4th notary and these poor people were signing the same documents for the 4th time. They also lost their rate lock due to the many delays. The borrowers told me the previous 3 notaries were actually sweating, they were rushing through the documents so fast, in & out in 20 minutes and telling the BO they would notarize the documents later at home "to save time". The previous notaries were probably accepting very low fees and had to take too many cases to make any profit at all. I take pride in my work and my fee reflects a professional fee for my service. I never accept below my standard fee of XXX, even when business is slow. I know what I need to make in order to turn a profit. If I can't make a profit, I don't take the job. I might as well sit by the pool or go out with friends than work and not make a profit. On this particular signing, It took me slightly over an hour to get the documents signed, and I had time to re-check my work and make sure everything was correct. This time, the notary package was accepted. I rest my case...hire a good notary, pay a fair professional fee and get the job done right the first time. Save the poor BO the experience of signing over & over again.

Reply by anotaryinva on 9/27/13 7:24pm
Msg #486311

Everyone should copy tudi's post

And send it to the lowballers that call, with her permission of course. Send it to the ones that say, I'll call you back, gotta get approval, yeah waiting for THAT call. Tudi, do I have your permission to copy and paste?

Reply by leeinla on 9/27/13 10:29pm
Msg #486338

Has food prices gone up? I pay more for food now (Trader Joe's). Maybe it's me, but aren't things more expensive lately. Not reducing my fees regardless of a downturn in business. Still got to pay for an oil change, tire rotation, and gas. Not getting a price reduction at the pump.

Reply by mauigirl/HI on 9/27/13 10:46pm
Msg #486340

Amen Tudi! Wouldn't it be nice if the industry got wise to this wisdom!

I get calls all the time from lowballers that are usually slow payers (45-60 days). I hold my ground. I won't leave the house for less than twice what they offer...sometimes 3 times what they offer. Usually the lowballers are the hand holders who call 10 times before, during and after the signing. Really? Pass!

If we all stick to our guns the lowballers will be forced to pay what professional, quality notaries are worth. The cut-throat notaries that take the lowball offers will eventually burn out and find something else to do. One can only hope! Thanks for your post!

Reply by jba/fl on 9/27/13 7:21pm
Msg #486310

Escrow docs only? Where all the notarizations are? You have to be kidding - not you Mary - just generic amazement at what might be expected.

SMH

Reply by MW/VA on 9/27/13 8:23pm
Msg #486313

Got that right, Mary. It definitely isn' n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 9/27/13 8:34pm
Msg #486317

The thing is ....

... they are definitely not going to pay the previous notaries who screwed up, so it's no skin off their nose that it took 4 notaries to get the job done. Nobody cares about the borrowers, not even the LO, because he already has these guys in the bag and has moved on to greener pastures. Only time anybody will pay attention is if borrowers complain enough to somehow mess up the LO's commission; then there will be howls of protest, and maybe the SS or TC might pay attention. But until then, everything will, of course, be blamed on the notary, and everybody will continue to hire the cheapest, smelliest, most unprofessional and ignorant NSA they can find in hopes they'll hit the jackpot ... cos nobody cares about the borrower or service or professionalism ... or did I say that already?

Fact is, the notary who finally brings home the loan will be lucky to get paid IMO ... given the type of outfit they're working for.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/27/13 8:37pm
Msg #486319

That's not necessarily true. The clients I work with are

very much concerned about having a professional represent them at the signing. It's a big risk for them to send just anyone & have no clue about what kind of service their client is receiving.
That approach has paid off for me & I have built my business on reputation.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 9/27/13 8:54pm
Msg #486326

Facts of life

You might like to think you're special, MW/VA, and perhaps you have built up some enduring relationships with your clients over the years, but in today's market the minute they find a cheaper notary who can do just as good a job or better, you'll be history ... like so many others. I just hope you don't have all your eggs on one basket.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/27/13 9:05pm
Msg #486327

Nothing about "think you're special". It's how I choose to

run my business. Yes, there are plenty in my area that work cheap. We're in a unique
area with a lot of military business, so there's usually been enough business for everyone. I'm only interested in doing so many signings at this point in my life. IMO, working for nothing isn't worth working for at all.

Reply by 101livescan on 9/28/13 12:08am
Msg #486351

Amen, Sister Goldgirl...how'd you get so wise so fast? n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 9/27/13 8:27pm
Msg #486314

Got that right, Mary. It definitely isn't me. I haven't

lowered my fees. The only time I accept $25 is for some GNW. I also have a policy of adjusting even lower than that for nursing home/rehab situations. I consider that work more of a public service than being about the money.
There are many notaries in the area doing more signings than I at this point & I don't care about that.
I had a really interesting transaction today. I got a call from a Mercedes-Benz dealer in FL to have a lease agreement signed here by their clients. They overnighted the docs, I witnessed the correct parties signing them (there was only 1 notarization) & it paid $100.
Somehow, the lowballers don't even bother to call me. I'd rather have the phone not ring than deal with insults like that.

Reply by Tudi/CA on 9/27/13 9:29pm
Msg #486331

Re: Got that right, Mary. It definitely isn't me. I haven't

It's just a matter of time (a very SHORT period of time) before the notaries that accept cheap rates will be out of business. Most likely they are new & inexperienced notaries, which is why they're taking the low rates. After wearing themselves out on 6 jobs a day for peanuts, they'll become exhausted and decide there's got to be an easier way to make a living, and move on to something else.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 9/27/13 9:59pm
Msg #486336

Skilled work is not always cheap ...

and cheap work is not always skilled.

TC's and SS companies would do good to learn this. jmo

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.