Notary Rotary
IE User read - Another security Flaw
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by sueharke on 9/28/13 11:05am
Msg #486356

If any notary out here uses IE, I suggest reading this.

SECURITY ALERT
A serious flaw in Internet Explorer
Users of Internet Explorer beware! Microsoft is sounding the alert on a flaw that could allow hackers to take control of your computer. It lets them bypass your security software - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have some installed.

The flaw potentially affects every version of IE on every consumer version of Windows. So, no IE user is safe. Hackers are actually taking advantage of this flaw as we speak, so this is a serious one.

Microsoft doesn't have an official fix available, but there is a temporary fix. Here is the link to find out how to protect your computer and your personal information

"http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15231&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=weekend&utm_content=2013-09-28-a-aw" .

Source: Kim Komando Security alert

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 9/28/13 11:12am
Msg #486357

Don't know beans about computers or security, BUT

I would not be surprised if clicking on that link would CAUSE the security breech.
I would check this out prior to clicking
Did this come to you via a mass email??

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/28/13 11:23am
Msg #486358

Yikes, I have 64 bit--going to microsoft site now n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/28/13 11:35am
Msg #486359

very wise statement...my security software won't even

let me download a file or picture without me first verifying it is safe to do so.

Reply by sueharke on 9/28/13 10:43pm
Msg #486400

Re: Don't know beans about computers or security, BUT

It came from a well known professional who has worked in the computer field for more than 20 years. If you are doubtful then just go to "http://www.komando.com" and search for the information. The author of the article has a nationwide radio show, writes for USA Today weekly. Hence, this source is credible in my opinion.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/28/13 3:57pm
Msg #486372

I can't beleive that people are still using IE...

I'm sorry... but it's a terrible browser. Full of security and bloat issues. The running joke is that IE is the most popular browser out there... for downloading a different browser.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/28/13 4:05pm
Msg #486374

I prefer IE - have tried Google Chrome and

Firefox and I still prefer the look of IE - with the others the letters on all sites comes up real light and Firefox drove me nuts cuz it wouldn't import all my IE favorites.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/30/13 10:45am
Msg #486444

Re: I prefer IE - have tried Google Chrome and

Me too Linda, I have tried both Google Chrome and Firefox and don't like either.

Reply by Christine/OK on 9/28/13 4:51pm
Msg #486380

FYI: Some Title company web sites will only work with IE n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/28/13 5:48pm
Msg #486383

Re: FYI: Some Title company web sites will only work with IE

I'm aware of that. The reason for that is a failure on the part of the coders to do their job properly. I won't get in to all of the technical explanations... but it boils down to laziness and or budgetary issues. In some circles, companies are forced to use extremely old versions of software for security compliance issues. In other circles it's because they have to cater to users who have absolutely no clue what they're doing and are only comfortable using IE since that's what came with their computers.

It's just my personal opinion based on many, many years of Internet use... and forcing anyone to use IE is cruel and unusual punishment.

Reply by Christine/OK on 9/28/13 7:04pm
Msg #486386

;D n/m

Reply by Belinda/CA on 9/28/13 9:43pm
Msg #486396

Kim Komando is a good site for information. Trustworthy.

The link is a Microsoft link and is worth checking out. Microsoft is issuing the warning.

Reply by sueharke on 9/28/13 10:46pm
Msg #486401

Re: Kim Komando is a good site for information. Trustworthy.

Thank you Belinda/CA for verifying the reliability of the source Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.