Notary Rotary
Leary Borrower
Notary Discussion History

Leary Borrower
Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by NVLSlady/VA on 9/20/13 2:51pm
Msg #485354

Leary Borrower

Went to confirm signing and borrower was very hesitant to speak with me. I do my standard spiel about ID and signing location, also asking if that address is the Subject prop (SS clued me that possible rental, fax backs, . . .)

He told me he didn't feel comfortable providing me with any info - not even his email - and wanted me to speak to his lender. Never had this happen! I explained that unfortunately, documents usually <follow> the confirmation call, so we will likely be having this conversation again at some point.

This is one where I will Definitely be wearing my notary lapel & lanyard Wink

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/20/13 4:09pm
Msg #485370

Ahaa! you to huh?

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/20/13 5:18pm
Msg #485383

Fed guy (no wonder) n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 9/20/13 5:17pm
Msg #485382

just curious as to why you would ask for email address?

as I understand your post you asked for it. If so, I can understand someone's hesitancy to provide to a stranger.

You may already do this but; I give BO the appointment information so they only need to confirm rather than provide. I don't ask them to give me personal information I haven't received via TC/SS. If signing is in a location I am not familiar with, I google search before calling in case I may need to ask for parking suggestions.

If you suspect its investment and there might be fax backs, perhaps covering that in your call with the hiring party rather than trying to ascertain from borrowers would be appropriate? If scheduler doesn't know, then as many have said in other posts, stating specifically what you are agreeing to provide will cover you should you need to ask for increase once you receive docs and instructions. Also, if for some reason you have doubts about the job you have taken on, you could always google search the address, do a white pages or reverse phone search. jmo

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/20/13 5:29pm
Msg #485384

Re: just curious as to why you would ask for email address?

I asked if he was ok with email (since he seemed cautious to speak) and he said 'yes.' He probably assumed I had his email. Over 90% of my borrowers email me when I can't get them by phone to confirm. Email is standard with what they need for the appt. and how to reach me.

I had his address (signing location) and all I did was confirm over the phone. No personal info was asked of him.

I have some hiring parties that don't want to do an inch of anything extra; they hand off the name and contact info and expect me to take it all from there! Ask any questions about the signing, and many times they are completely in the dark - other than refi or purchase (all the while emphatically stating the need to reach borrowers as soon as possible to confirm)

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/20/13 5:32pm
Msg #485385

Schedulers normally don't have the Docs (otherwise they would tell you) so they have NO concrete information.

Your last paragraph thoroughly confused me. What are you saying please?

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/20/13 5:35pm
Msg #485386

signtogo - nevermind it appears OP knows what ur saying n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/20/13 5:50pm
Msg #485390

Re: signtogo - nevermind it appears OP knows what ur saying

lol! James, I think sigtogo thought I had an ulterior motive for asking borrower to confirm if address was subject property. And she was Right! SS will frequently "think" loan doesn't require fax backs, but we know different Wink I ask as many questions as I see fit to quote when I'm about to take a job; even though we both strongly suspected investment property, hiring party couldn't say positively.

I always try to confirm acceptance (with my fee); so now you understand why I was seeking to discreetly ask bo to confirm whether signing address was the subject property.

In a hurry and only noticed spouse's name on one doc. So of course, I will have to add to my questions: Will Mrs. be there to sign? So much easier if not "shooting blind!"

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/20/13 5:41pm
Msg #485387

<<"Schedulers normally don't have the Docs (otherwise they would tell you) so they have NO concrete information.">>

Yes, James that is the norm! That is why it is difficult at times to do anything other than confirm with borrower When & Where on that initial call. I hate surprises (and find my signers do, too) - so Ideally I prefer to know a little something about the loan to prepare them. Only in a perfect world, I know.

p.s. IF hiring party had docs in advance, you don't think I'd call borrower without reviewing them, do you?

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/20/13 5:54pm
Msg #485392

When confirm, I state that I'm a notary public **contacted by** Big Bubba Title Company to meet with you to have documents signed. When you let borrower's know you have a "mutual connection", then it's less likely they'll be leary.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.