Notary Rotary
One Signing Service wants to know
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 9/24/13 8:41am
Msg #485697

if they should accept a "volume" account which means they would have to take a lower cut and so would the NSA's be willing to take a lower fee? WHAT? Volume for whom? Hope no one goes for that sales pitch. That is what VA is all about too. Their volumes are not our volumes.

We might night one or two, not 1000s like they do, so where's the percentage in this to us? There is none.

Hang tight.

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/24/13 8:50am
Msg #485699

My reply would be NO WAY. If they do "volume", are your costs to do business going to go down? Will gas, toner, paper, taxes and all overhead go down for you because the signing service is accepting a "volume" client? I don't think so.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/24/13 9:07am
Msg #485702

There appears to be those who would accept

I've been following this discussion. As I understand and read it, the SS claims price cuts will be for signings from this particular client only, and yes, they say they are also taking a hit on the signings with the lower fee. Believe it or not, the notaries saying yes to the $85 signings--but with certain criteria (no faxbacks, less than 10 miles round trip, etc)--far out number the individuals who say no thanks.

This is a SS that is highly rated here on NR. But, since I have no personal experience or relationship to base any comments on, I will not name them, so don't ask. But the reputation of the SS, as noted by the notaries who would accept those lower fees says a lot.

Reply by janCA on 9/24/13 9:23am
Msg #485705

Re: There appears to be those who would accept

If the SS is taking a hit, then why would they (he) accept a contract with a low fee. I say "BUNK" to that. Dollars will be made, but it won't be by the NSA's that are doing the actual signing. Desperate people do desperate things.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/24/13 9:31am
Msg #485707

I have been following this too

Reasoning the SS would accept the contract is a promise of a large number of orders from the TC for volume discount....and of course the discount, or at least a portion of it, is passed on to us. The latest persuasive technique I've seen used there by the SS is "don't forget your notarial fees are tax exempt"....

Reply by 101livescan on 9/24/13 9:32am
Msg #485709

Let's see, are title and escrow fees being cut, appraiser, flood cert fee, tax service fee, recording fees, edoc fee, FEDEX or other courier fees being reduced. What about lender's origination fee and points to reduce the amount of interest being paid? Not a chance.

NOPE. Always the notary signing service fee that takes the hit.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/24/13 9:35am
Msg #485711

No - I saw a title/escrow fee yesterday of $950

NOT counting the cut from the title insurance, courier fees, notary fees...

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/13 9:35am
Msg #485712

Yes, sounding out here today. Another didn't have to name them as they already are fishing here, just as they have in the past. The train station is probably already filling up quickly, sad to say, as they won't be getting the volume, only the SS. If the individual does get volume, it won't be enough to grow or sustain the business IMHO.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/24/13 10:17am
Msg #485719

New NSA's who don't know it can't be done (financially) will be biting on this all day. For SS it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for the cliche, I am so looking forward to 4 days of bass fishing next month! So what am I doing? Checking every new lure and technique to catch those silly fish.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/13 10:42am
Msg #485722

Make sure you have a bear barrel for your food,a noise maker

to help scare them away and prepare and eat the fish right away. Fishing for trout? Used to fish Yosemite and area as a kid with my dad when growing up, many a breakfast with trout as the entree. You are going to have a super time.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/24/13 11:05am
Msg #485729

I don't know about bringing fish into the camp site....

attracts predators with masks on their faces. Hmm.. like SS to new NSA's?

Bass fishing! Maybe some trout. Lake Cachuma near Santa Barbara. Loved early morning trout fishing in Yosemite, then firefalls in the evening (that I only heard about). Smile

Right now I am sooo addicted to bass fishing videos. Good thing too. I am able to sit with Androided Nook and earplugs while wife watches Dancing with the Stupes. Can't get enough of drop shots, spinners, wacky rigs, Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, getting all rigged up!

Back-up plan: a great Tina Fey book, "Bossy Pants". She's a riot!

Whatever happens I will be a happy camper!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/24/13 11:35am
Msg #485741

About fishing: Remember, the number of fish caught is

directly proportional to the amount of money spent on gear subsequently sacrificed to the River/Lake Gods.

Oh. And bears ~love~ cantaloupes.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/24/13 11:49am
Msg #485750

Re: About fishing: Remember, the number of fish caught is

I can't elope if I tried. Oh, cantaloupes!

While reading 'bout camping Lake Cachuma, I came across a camper's recipe for Texas style burritos that you wrap in foil and toss in the fire. Sounds like a fix for my pyromania leanings.

If there's news on CNN of a fire in Santa barbara County - I didn't do it!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/25/13 12:09am
Msg #485879

About fishing, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYrJbnzWVbM

Fishy fishy, come bite my hook...yum yum...

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/13 11:50am
Msg #485751

Re: I don't know about bringing fish into the camp site....

Take a back up book - Tina's book was a disappointment (to me anyway). Maybe it was over-hyped? Couldn't finish.

Any food will attract those masked bandits - that's why I said cook right away. (meant to - said we fished in early am and ate breakfast - then again, perhaps there wasn't the big brouhaha then about the bears as there is now - certainly less people in the 50's. Loved the firefalls! Stunning.

Camping beats all....peaceful trip to you. Lots of bass.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/24/13 11:29am
Msg #485739

what no catch and release?

i like trout as much as the next fisherman, but all of our fishing (husband and I)--even out west--has been fly fishing with releasing whatever we catch. And if nothing on the fly, well the scenery isn't bad.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/24/13 12:43pm
Msg #485771

Re: what no catch and release?

All my camp activities are on the fly. Well, except for the great outdoors cook-out dinner with a bottle of wine handy and watching the sunset from my 'kitchen window’. That after a good afternoon snore in the tent under a ceiling fan, while dreaming about the one that got away.

My camping is more like ‘glamping’ (glamorous camping) with an 8 ft Cabelas kitchen that has everything including the kitchen sink (truly). Wives drag their husbands over to inspect and watch us tear it down because it has 3 table tops, pan rack, two shelved cupboards, and spice top with hangers for utensils, paper towel holder and lantern holder. Takes five minutes to go up and down and packs neatly.

Friends, who camp with us in their trailers, ask if they can come early in the morning for the fire and my gourmet coffee and cook on the kitchen. At least we’re outdoors and not in a trailer or RV. That’s not camping, that’s parking, well, at least until I can afford one.

Catch and release? Shhh…

Reply by 101livescan on 9/24/13 1:42pm
Msg #485786

Just so you know, CA Fish and Game shot the bear who came a calling at my house six nights in a row, after he ate 25 of my beautiful, high performance chickens. They lured him by tying some venison on a rope just at standing height, he got it...tasty...next was some venison in the heavy gauge wire cage, when upon entering to sample, the door slammed shut at around 3am, and what a racket he made until I got up as the sun rose to check it out.

Meaning, if you have food any where around you in your campsite, expect a BEAR VISIT. Any thing is possible.

Thought about sleeping in your boat in the middle of the lake yet?

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/24/13 10:44am
Msg #485723

If you buy cheap gas, you car will suffer
If you buy cheap insurance, your quality of life will suffer
If you buy cheap clothes, your appearance will suffer (some)
If there is no minimum wage your lifestyle will (fill in the blank______)

When I first started, I got $100 a signing on a regular basis until I learned who to work for and who not to work for. The people that hire me and pay my fee just don't want their Docs hosed up, that's why I'm paid.

Yesterday I did a signing for $125, that's the same thing I was getting six years ago (accounting for inflation). THAT IS the discount!

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/24/13 11:13am
Msg #485731

Same here.

Recent signing with good company for $125.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/24/13 12:00pm
Msg #485755

Re: Same here.

Recent signing with any company min. $125.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/24/13 1:15pm
Msg #485779

You're right!

It was a one person HARP refi. Pretty simple. Still, there's always a glitch.

Table could have been scraped with a putty knife and chair was so sticky when I stood up I almost had to take the chair home with me! Nothing like hearing the sound of a clean pair of slacks pulling away like velcro. Kitchen would never have passed an environmental impact test.

and...she wrote reports for the EPA!

Reply by Les_CO on 9/24/13 10:46am
Msg #485724

Volume actually DOES work for a SS. All their overhead remains the same. They may get a little less, but then they are paying out (to the notaries) less. For us it doesn’t work, as we are not compensated for our time, our travel, or our direct costs, (printing etc.)

Reply by John/CT on 9/24/13 11:37am
Msg #485743

Howard posted this on another website: "I want to solicit some input from group members". As would be expected, the responses have, for the most part, not been positive to his proposed $85 fee in return for promised "volume". When also I posted my simple reply, he came back at me with his usual negative blowback acusing me of trashing his signing company (not true). We've also seen this kind of past behavior by him in this forum.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/24/13 1:03pm
Msg #485776

So he's joined the ranks of low-ballers. Hmmmm. ;-( n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/24/13 1:23pm
Msg #485781

He can give you more work if you accept less... n/m

Reply by John/CT on 9/24/13 1:24pm
Msg #485783

Howard ... at it again

Rising to his challenge in an e-mail to me under the subject: "You are quite devious", this is what he said:

"Of course you did not bother to say I sent you a PM instead of posting to the discussion (as you implied when you wrote When also I posted my simple reply, We've also seen this kind of past behavior by him in this forum.) because that obviously would not fit into your bashing me/us."

"In my humble opinion you are deceitful and devoid of honor or integrity."

"Go ahead and post that in the NotRot forum."

Speaks for itself, doesn't it? Some things never change!!

Reply by 101livescan on 9/24/13 1:59pm
Msg #485790

Throat cutting basically

So we'll do all your signings for a cut rate fee of $XXX, as many as you can give us so that we're assure of volume.

Now, why would notaries want to buy into this knowing there is no way we can get further discounted gas, tires, auto repairs, toner, paper, cell phone bills, the inherent costs of maintaining our commissions, E&O, bond, recording our bond, journals, notary stamps, inkprint kits, the list goes on.

Basically, the SS's should just say (I wonder if it's an epidemic brought on by SS's trying themselves to get more work in a declining lending environment): If you want to remain on our list of preferred notaries, you need to take less, work is the same, faxbacks required, so more time involved. It's like accepting a huge pay cut, there will be no frigging volume to any of the notaries, only to the SS.

Where is the Win/Win here? There is none. END OF STORY...not much of an offer, is it?

WTF.

Reply by BobtheElder on 9/24/13 8:00pm
Msg #485864

Time to "Just say NO" ... again.
Why do all these folks want to cut the fee for the person who actually meets their clients?
Doesn't that say something about them???

Reply by John/CT on 9/26/13 2:47pm
Msg #486130

Sadly, it does. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.