Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Plagiarized Notary Profile....Definitely a Big No No!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by PegiT_MN on 9/30/13 12:07pm
Msg #486458

Just a little word of advice.....especially to the newbies. Please do not plagiarize a fellow members notary profile just because you are either not smart enough to come up with a professional description of the services you offer on your own, or you are just plain lazy and think that by copying word for word another member's profile it will generate telephone calls for you. I am here to tell you that you are sadly mistaken, especially when the notary profile you copied is that of a notary who lives only a few blocks from you and is very aware of who her competition is. The only telephone call you will be receiving is the one from the notary who's profile you plagiarized telling you to change it.

Reply by 101livescan on 9/30/13 12:15pm
Msg #486462

Aren't we sensitive today? Haha, this happens all the time here. I had someone plagiarize my profile on this board a few years, and she was just right under me at the time. I called her up and told her to take it down immediately.

Her response: Well, yours was so well written, I didn't think you'd mind. WTF...dumber than a box of rocks. She breaks all the rules, no one seems to notice. I don't care. I do my thing.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/30/13 1:35pm
Msg #486478

I believe they call it "cribbing." Schools are becoming notorious for these kinds of illicit (unethical) behaviors among students feeling the pressure to excel.

This is why the registered trademark is common in business for slogans, tag lines, etc.

Kind of a shame to not feel comfortable crafting a business ad for fear of it being adopted.

(seem to recall a recent news story where song artist had to sue for copyright infringement ?? Happens all the time, I know)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/30/13 6:47pm
Msg #486545

Plagiarized Notary Profile....Definitely a Big No No! AGREE!

So true! It may happen all the time, but that doesn't mean it's not very wrong. I applaud Cheryl's ability to shake it off, 'cause when it happened to me, I wasn't able to be that calm about it. When you spend hours and hours over weeks and months fine tuning your very personalized profile, then someone comes along with barely a second thought and just helps themselves.... well, it feels pretty awful! And then to compete against you head to head with your own "intellectual property"? You feel like you've been robbed. (I guess you have, in a sense.)

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery (or however that cliche goes), but I suspect most of us would rather do without the flattery! Wink I'm glad this subject was brought up.

Reply by janCA on 9/30/13 11:55pm
Msg #486558

Re: Plagiarized Notary Profile....Definitely a Big No No! AGREE!

This also happened to me and I was pretty perturbed. In stead of going off on the person, I decided to rewrite my profile, it was time. Some people are just plain lazy and that will also show in their work and speaks volumes as to whether or not they will make it in the "self-employment" world.

Reply by Christine/OK on 10/1/13 3:02am
Msg #486563

LIKE!! :D n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.