Notary Rotary
Some rich guy wanted a free notarization
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Calnotary on 9/1/13 8:52pm
Msg #482889

I had a loan signing for a gentleman a few days ago. He has a few rental properties and he was getting around 8K positive cash flow from his rentals.

He asked if I can notarize a paper for a tenant's eviction I told him that I can do it after we had finished with the loan signing.

I reviewed the doc and I told him that he will need to choose the notary certificate because it did not have any ack or jurat verbiage and it was going to be 10 dollars.

He said Oh no I can have this notarize for free at the motor club.

I said very good you can go there. Motor club is like 10 miles from his house.

One other ocation I finished a loan signing for a nice couple that had a thousand cows ranch and then the daughter came out of another room and wanted to have a form for the dmv notarized.

And she said if I can do it for free. No my charge will be 10 dollars. She did pay me but she was not happy.

Why do they think that they can get a notarization for free. So our duties are so devaluated ?

I have not charge so, but so many times for people that really don't have the money and they all insisted on paying me. I guess the more you have the more you want some thing for free, I can't stand these kind of people.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/1/13 9:05pm
Msg #482890

When I've been paid a decent fee for a loan signing, and

they ask me to notarize something else, I do not charge them. They've already paid my fee to be there. It's an individual choice, of course, and you have every right to ask for a fee, if that's what you chose to do.
I've also encountered the attitudes of the rich & privileged. They expect to get things for free. Kind of backwards, really. I often see it--those who have a lot don't pay, and those that don't have much do pay. I know I pay for everything! ;-) LOL

Reply by Linda Juenger on 9/1/13 9:13pm
Msg #482891

Re: When I've been paid a decent fee for a loan signing, and

Can't count how many times I've been asked to notarize something else while I am there. I always do and never charge. We can only chg $1 anyway, so hardly worth it. I also never chg our large military population around me. That's the least I can do for them. I pick and choose who I chg. I met a young couple 5 miles from my house one time and didn't have the heart to ask for money. Sometimes we have to remember that being a notary is a public service. Yes, we can chg for that service, but that doesn't always mean we have to.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/1/13 9:35pm
Msg #482892

Re: When I've been paid a decent fee for a loan signing, and

Im with Linda..I do not charge veterans, police officers, clergy, and many others..I am a public official and when I am at someones home for a loan signing and they ask me to notarize something else I never charge them. They are already paying me..Its no big deal.

I get a lot of business doing general notary work from referrals and I meet people at my home office. I have seen very wealthy people balk at a couple of dollars yet some people that hardly have anything come here willing to pay me with their spare change. Sometimes you can tell if they don't have any money and I don't sweat it.. and to make them feel better I tell them I will charge them double the next time..They leave less embarassed and I know they will come back some day! Its not always about the money!

Reply by rolomia on 9/2/13 5:40am
Msg #482918

"Its not always about the money!" Yes! Yes, it is...

It's about the money AND the lack of it. Most of the clients who I meet with DO have money, but are still struggling, like most everybody else. No, I don't always charge for GNW. It depends on the client and their situation. Some clients have the mentality of entitlement, especially those clients who collect food stamps. They don't have money, per se. But, they do have attitude.

And, contrary to many comments in this thread, it isn't the wealthy who are rude nor the poor who are nice.Most of the time, the opposite is true. Sadly, poor people become bitter b/c of their situation, which may or may not be their fault. I don't judge, but I do empathize.

The common notion that "it's not always about the money" is similar to the mis-construed interpretation that "money is the root of all evil." But, if anybody bothered to re-read the "book" from which said passage occurs, they'd notice that it actually reads that "the love of money is the root of all evil."

It reminds me of the idea that beauty is only skin deep. Whenever I hear that, I respond that "Yes! But, UGLY cuts to the bone!" meaning that most of the unattractive people who I meet, at least, are usually mean-spirited. My perception is that they are bitter about their appearance. The aforementioned book that I referred to, above, contains one or more references to same-said bitterness. JMHO

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/2/13 11:12am
Msg #482934

Re: "Its not always about the money!" Yes! Yes, it is...

<<"Some clients have the mentality of entitlement, especially those clients who collect food stamps. . .
and, contrary to many comments in this thread, it isn't the wealthy who are rude nor the poor who are nice. Most of the time, the opposite is true.">>

not to mention the notorious ones who collect thousands in "positive cash flow" from REO; and of course, I'm sure the Trumps (or the gangstas, for that matter) out there would have no problem obliging a poor notary - even if she is "ugly as sin."

Now, for the not-so-nice or pretty clients, we could charge extra - that way they could take some beauty measures or personality classes - or a trip around the world to broaden their narrow 'horizons.'

I don't know anything that "cuts to the bone" like Ignorance.

btw, not "slammin' - just sayin'

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/2/13 11:17am
Msg #482936

No, "ugly" gets charged LESS n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/2/13 8:28pm
Msg #482989

Re: "Its not always about the money!" Yes! Yes, it is...

For not judging, your post sure has lots of generalization in it about people... These so-and-so's are this, and those so-and-so's are that... I've run into lots of not-so-nice wealthy people and very generous, un-bitter poor people, who are just doing the best they can and are kind, happy people.

BTW, one thing that I strongly believe isn't always about money is charity: that can apply equally to one's attitude and actions towards others as it can to one's wallet, imho. I'm NOT saying we shouldn't expect to be fairly compensated for the work we do. What I AM saying is that we should try to treat people as individuals, with fairness, and not lump them together into broad categories based on simplistic assessments, and then think we know something about them. And, of course, this applies to much more than rich and poor...

I'm also just sayin'... Wink

Reply by linda/ca on 9/1/13 9:40pm
Msg #482893

Re: MW/VA....They've already paid my fee to be there.

Are you suggesting that since we are already @ the borrower's home our service is free for the taking? I don't think you are actually thinking that statement through. This subject came up before and I posted how a person asked me to notarize multiple pages for a separate purchase for him and his wife's signatures. Yes, they/someone had already paid me to be there so no travel fee, however, I definitely charged for the multitude of signatures that needed to be notarized. Since there were so many I deeply discounted, however.

I have had people that asked for 1 or 2 signatures and I did not charge. I have had at least one individual who asked me prior to signing his loan docs if I could take care of a different transaction when we were finished and I was so glad that I said I would take care of it after we were finished with the docs @ hand; because he was such a contemptible person, I wish I could have charged him more than what's allowed in the state of Cali. Point is I don't feel that anyone should feel that they need to oblige for free just because we are already "there" and I don't think you are really suggesting that.

Reply by Jana Miller on 9/1/13 9:48pm
Msg #482895

Re: MW/VA....They've already paid my fee to be there.

I agree Linda. In California you know we can charge 10.00 per... so if I am getting paid for a loan and there is an entirely separate document I will charge for sure. No travel fee obviously. I just tell them its a separate issue. If its a hub & wife that's 20.00. I have not charged a lot of times either. If I was in a state where you can only charge a dollar I wouldn't charge either.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/1/13 10:02pm
Msg #482899

I said above that it's a choice. Your CA notary fees are

$10, and there's more money to be made for gnw because of that.
Our fees are $5 here, and I don't make the majority of my money at gnw.
I completely agree that you should charge if it's more than one transaction.

Reply by linda/ca on 9/1/13 10:09pm
Msg #482900

Re: I said above that it's a choice. Your CA notary fees are

I understood you to say it's a choice, however, It was the "They've already paid my fee to be there"
comment that stood out to me. As mentioned, I am sure you were not suggesting that to be the case in every situation, however, the person you responded to "is" in California and you seem to know that they could charge $10.00, hence my comment.

Reply by HSH/WA on 9/1/13 10:39pm
Msg #482906

Re: I wave the driving fee portion but charge $10 per

notarization and no one seems to be upset. There are a few on NR who think they need to give away their services but not me.

Reply by 101livescan on 9/1/13 11:11pm
Msg #482910

I don't charge extra for one or two notarizations, lots of parents needed these permissions for their children to travel outside of the country, and I was happy to oblige. Now if it's more than this I will charge, it rarely happens.

It's another reminder of what a great service we provide by coming to their home, and hopefully the next time they need a notary, we're the ones they will think of to call.

Reply by rolomia on 9/2/13 5:20am
Msg #482917

Hey! I want my free notarization...Where's mine?

What?! Aren't I entitled, too? I may not be wealthy, but COME ON!!! Geez! ROTFLMAO

Reply by Clem/CA on 9/2/13 10:10am
Msg #482930

Taking on the "risk" of someone's docs with no compensation just doesn't fly with me. There are just too many sue happy people out there.

Reply by desktopfull on 9/2/13 10:21am
Msg #482931

Do explain what "risk" your taking concerning anything contained in a document. When did a notary's purview extend beyond the signature of the person signing a document and that they understand what they are signing?

Reply by Clem/CA on 9/2/13 10:33am
Msg #482932

Taking time out for court, just to say yes he signed it would suck, although this would be unlikely.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/2/13 11:19am
Msg #482937

It's called Compensation for Fact Witnesses

Completely legal in CA. Payment for reasonable compensation and travel.

http://www.gibsondunn.com/publications/Documents/McRaeNortman-YourWitness.pdf

http://www.trial.com/cle/materials/2011-fl/raby.pdf

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/2/13 12:12pm
Msg #482951

Re: It's called Compensation for Fact Witnesses-thank you! n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/2/13 12:33pm
Msg #482956

Darlene, it's not legal in AL n/m

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/3/13 12:08am
Msg #482995

Re: It's called Compensation for Fact Witnesses

but aren't you already there? No traveling involved.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/2/13 10:37am
Msg #482933

I once had a lady call me for a notarization. She came over to me and I told her the fee was $10 (I had already mentioned the fee on the phone) she reluctantly paid me but said that her sister in law (think it was a sister in law - its been a few years now) and she never charged her anything for notarizations.

But the one that caps it all for me was someone called Paul for notarizations one day, Paul said he could do it but it was over an hour away and his fee for the notarizations and travel would be $200. The guy told Paul that a notary was an officer of the state and the state covered it. Needless to say Paul did not go out.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/2/13 11:15am
Msg #482935

<<"the state covered it">>

Gotta give him credit for originality!

Creative "Financing":
Hand out 3 business cards or grab a notepad, hand it to the client and say, "That will be '3 referrals,' please!"

Reply by jba/fl on 9/2/13 12:35pm
Msg #482957

How do you know he was rich? What is 'rich'....someone with more than you? Someone with too much?

How do you really know that he doesn't have great wealth on paper and no pot to piss in?

Reply by Vincent Spilotro on 9/2/13 4:56pm
Msg #482975

I'd leave the $1/free signings to the motor club. I generally do not do them. If you like working for fee, stamp away.

Reply by CJ on 9/2/13 6:39pm
Msg #482978

For me . . .

I didn't read EVERY reply, but for me, I figure that I am getting paid well enough for my job, and it's no skin off my nose to do a little kindness. One time someone wanted me to watch them sign and notarize their trust, so I negotiated a flat fee, as if it was a second set of docs with no print. It was cheaper for them and it was money for me. But in general, doing one or two more stamps is good customer service, right up there with random acts of kindness and pay-it-forward.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/2/13 8:00pm
Msg #482986

Re: For me . . .

I agree with CJ..One act of kindness and good customer service! We can not charge $10.00 in Ohio..So its not a lot of money..

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/3/13 12:06am
Msg #482994

I don't have any problem doing a notarization at a closing at no charge. There is no travel or printing. They already paid for my services. What is one more page or two??

Yes, the title company or signing service is the one paying for my services; however, it is the borrower that is paying THEM for my services. JMOP

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/3/13 9:24am
Msg #483008

The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but...

....I don't believe the issue the OP was addressing was to charge or not to charge for GNW after having completed other pre-arranged business. The issue - as I understood it - was the guy's entitlement attitude....i.e. "He said Oh no I can have this notarize for free at the motor club."

And the next instance - the entitlement attitude of the girl....i.e. "....then the daughter came out of another room and wanted to have a form for the dmv notarized. And she said if I can do it for free. No my charge will be 10 dollars. She did pay me but she was not happy."

Regardless of what your state allows for notarizations - NO ONE likes dealing with entitlement attitudes, in ANY arena - period. A humble attitude can reap much. A haughty (entitlement) attitude can reap little to nothing, as was in these two cases. I would have done what the OP did - i.e. "I said very good you can go there."

Reply by ananotary on 9/3/13 9:48am
Msg #483012

Exactly. Well said! n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 9/3/13 10:29am
Msg #483025

Yep. You got it LKT. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 9/3/13 10:13am
Msg #483020

I totally agree-well said! ;-) n/m

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 9/3/13 11:00am
Msg #483029

I understand about spreading goodwill, but unfortunately, I

can't seem to get the rest of the world on board w/ this concept:
- when I get a oil change on my car, they won't put in a lightbulb for free - even when I have the bulb!
- when I get my hair done (rarely these days), she always charges for the trim!
- when I ges gas, if it's $15.16, they want EVERY penny!
- when I buy groceries, they make me pay for EVERTHING - even when I go back to get just one banana; how much is that- $.20-.25?

As notaries, we pay for EVERYTHING: stamps, seals, commissions & E&O.
When times are slow, we have little to no income.
We have SS's & TCs just looking for ONE mistake - sometimes to avoid paying our ENTIRE fee.
We have appts at SPECIFIC times - no 2-4 hr windowds like the cable guy.
We sometimes have to travel in horrific traffic, incl. horrific weather for fees that are usually just decent in great traffic & beautiful weather.

I look at it as up-selling: would you like fries w/ that shake?
Military aside, I 'm not so sure about the rest; do you give free notaizations to judges , court clerks, court sec'ys, court janitors? How about teachers, principals, teachers' aides, and of course school janitors?

I occasionally may hand out a free notarization, but it is afterall - a business. Some publc officials/ servants make alot of money - some don't - I'm one of those who don't.

Every stamp eventually has to be re-inked; even seals will break & have to be replaced. When I re-order, I can't get a discount based on the freebies I've done - they STILL want ALL of their money!

I charge what my various states allow. B/c I'm there for a specific purpose, anything extra is...extra.
I'm very nice & pleasant about it & very business-like.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/3/13 2:18pm
Msg #483043

More great advice for newbies and others!

BTW, I wanted to put the word "newbie" in the subject line, so this will come up when a new person (hopefully) does a search for "newbie" and "advice"...

This boils down to thinking like a business owner vs. an employee. I need to be reminded of this myself, from time to time, too..

Reply by linda/ca on 9/3/13 4:13pm
Msg #483057

Re: More great advice for newbies and others! Yes, like LKT/

CA. I understood what the OP was saying, however, the reason I responded to post made by others that could be interpreted as suggesting free service was to, let newbies no that by no means are they to think we run a non-profit company; especially when some are not charging enough for their services as-it-is!

Reply by linda/ca on 9/3/13 4:19pm
Msg #483058

HrdwrkVA: Hear! Hear! Fantastic Post! n/m

Reply by Calnotary on 9/3/13 3:04pm
Msg #483049

Nothing to correct Lisa. You are 100 % right! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.