Notary Rotary
UPS FEE
Notary Discussion History

UPS FEE
Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by IAC on 9/30/13 1:58pm
Msg #486485

UPS FEE

For as many years I have used UPS this was a first for me. I had a pre-paid label so I proceeded to a drop off location in a small town I was passing thru since the sign out front said UPS drop off.
Handed the woman my package and she said that will be $1.75. I said this is pre-paid she said that is their fee. Since I had no time to go to my Post-net drop location I let her know I felt this was not the norm. Has anyone ever run up on this type of fee? I intend to call UPS just to see if this is acceptable by UPS.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/30/13 2:01pm
Msg #486490

Was the label <attached> to a package/envelope You brought with you? They charge for supplies.

Reply by desktopfull on 9/30/13 2:01pm
Msg #486491

Yes, I have a UPS Store down the street from me that does that and charges you a dollar more for the UPS envelopes. Called UPS about it and was told they are independent franchises and can charge what they want, so I avoid going there.

Reply by BobbiCT on 9/30/13 2:02pm
Msg #486492

Reply: UPS FEE "extra" fee

Yes. Many of the "inside another business" UPS sites are independently owned. They charge a fee for the UPS service, which you wouldn't notice being collected unless you had a pre-paid drop off.

I went 500 yards to the next parking lot (not on the same business grounds) and dropped the package in the UPS drop box rather than pay the fee.

Reply by IAC on 9/30/13 2:08pm
Msg #486494

Re: Reply: UPS FEE "extra" fee

Thank you for the feedback, yes the prepaid label was on the envelope but I will not be using that drop service any time soon. I needed to do a 4:00p.m. drop. Strapped for time

Reply by RedBaron/IN on 9/30/13 2:27pm
Msg #486498

Re: Reply: UPS FEE "extra" fee

My 2 stores have not charged me for a drop off with a label attached.
I am aware they charge for supplies so I order direct from UPS and receive delivery in 2 or 3 days. No charge.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/30/13 2:41pm
Msg #486504

Yes, the local pack n ship store charges for dropping off UPS packages but not FedEx. They say it is UPS that charges. And, I did try and hand a UPS driver outside the store a package one time and he said there was a fee if it wasn't dropped at the UPS itself or in a drop box.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 9/30/13 4:09pm
Msg #486520

I have given pkgs directly to drivers countless times,

sometimes waving over trucks who stop and accept pkgs since the "mail box store" started charging to drop off pre-paid/labeled pkgs about five years or so ago.

No extra fees ever.

Also, often there are drop boxes behind office bldgs that house a title/escrow/insurance company, for instance.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/30/13 7:26pm
Msg #486549

Re: I have given pkgs directly to drivers countless times,

I had given packages directly to drivers before as well with no problems. But this particular driver had pulled up in front of the Pack N Ship place and I thought I could just hand the package to him instead of going into the store, but he told me there was $1 charge, same as going inside the store.

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/30/13 2:44pm
Msg #486506

Re: UPS FEE I wonder if there would be a fee if

you were returning an unopened package??

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 9/30/13 2:55pm
Msg #486508

We have a hardware store here in our small town that charges $2.00 per package they have been doing this for a few years. I called UPS when they first started doing this and UPS stated they were allowed to charge..Even with a prepaid label..I do not go there..

Reply by Luckydog on 9/30/13 3:28pm
Msg #486515

Pretty sad, I have not run into that, but I usually just run it in and say "this is for pickup", put it on the counter next to them and leave. I tell them I do not need the receipt, and they say thank you.
I prefer a drop box however, and only use the store on Saturdays.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.