Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
VA-after prison, right to serve as a notary restored?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda_in_MI on 9/22/13 8:04am
Msg #485536

Short article. Not a lot of info, but I hope the "rights" the one and only individual who commented (keep in mind, don't know particulars of their situation--but look at their poster name) is referring to is the right to vote.

"As a convicted nonviolent felon, I would LOVE to have my rights restored, but obviously you have to consider the fact that many of us have a high amount of court fines, lawyer fees, etc. to pay. That is literally the only thing holding me back from applying. The tone of this story makes it seems as if we don't care or are too lazy. I simply can't afford to pay $1100 all at once in fines, but you better believe that as soon I do, I will earn back the rights that I DESERVE."

http://www.newsplex.com/news/headlines/Few-Take-Advantage-of-Va-Rights-Restoration-Order-224719682.html?ref=682

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/22/13 8:50pm
Msg #485571

After completing the punishment of incarceration (stinky noisy surroundings, crappy food, for example) the individual also has to complete whatever court-ordered stuff re: payment of fees, perhaps compensation, restitution, to the victims, if any--then they may apply. For sure if the felony involved any type of theft or fraud, the sentencing judge could put restrictions on the parole conditions. When parole is completed, the county Probate Judge does the appointing. So, it would not necessarily be automatic, as Notaries must have a good reputation in the community (unless they're attorneys --ha! ha!). So, it's okay w/me if the guy coming to the house w/my loan docs has been through all that. It's really none of my business what's in his past. Don't see how they'll pass the background check mandated by some states and/or hiring parties though.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 9/23/13 1:38pm
Msg #485612

Well, Darlin ... you're far more ....

... I'm not sure what the word is .... forgiving? open-minded? trusting? than I would ever be. I think things are bad enough in the mobile NSA world right now ... what with SSs demanding notaries send *them" copies of borrowers' SS cards and DLs for *their* files ... and SSs being owned by convicted criminals (who, up til now couldn't qualify for a commission). etc etc.

But to let a known convicted felon - no matter how reformed, how repentant, how whatever, to have easy access to all my personal info is going overboard to me. However, I realize that's the trend now. The CA SOS has recently adopted regulations allowing just that. My position is that if the CA SOS is so all-fired up about allowing ex-cons be commissioned, then hire them for their office or other governmental offices or public institutions like schools (yeah, right, that'll be the day)... don't send them out on the streets to be notaries. But they didn't ask me. Well, actually then did have a open comment period of sorts ... got a few "Are you out of your mind?" responses, but went ahead and passed the regs anyway.

In any case, I'm sure we have all had former prisoners in our homes .. repair people, cable guys, installers, gardeners, cement people, etc. But to have one sitting across my kitchen table with every drop of my personal info would make me very uncomfortable on both levels, and it definitely would be "my business what's in his past."

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.