Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Well, this will be fun -- new CA law re DLs...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 9/13/13 12:28pm
Msg #484498

For those that are following the news, Good 'ole CA has approved DLs for *some* illegals...

The new cards will have a different notation, though. See, these individuals' IDs will not satisfy federal ID rules... and they will be marked as being a "driving privilege" or some such thing. They will look different. They said it is an "ID for driving and that it does not establish eligibility for employment, voting or seeking public benefits." -- in other words, it's basically just the opposite of the standard non-driving identification card, it sounds. These are simply licenses to drive and nothing more.

I haven't read the bill or looked in to it much yet, but has anyone else? Are these going to simply be akin to driving permits that don't establish identity or will we, as notaries, have to accept them for notarization purposes within the state of CA?

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 9/13/13 12:38pm
Msg #484501

Thank you for the info, Marian n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/13/13 12:41pm
Msg #484502

Sure... I just wish I had the answers...

I'll look in to it more later... but I can see this becoming an issue, and so far haven't found any good answers on whether this will be an acceptable ID for notarizations purposes or not. It's only for riving and they can't use it for, well, anything else, like a regular DL or ID card.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/13/13 2:30pm
Msg #484535

Re: Sure... I just wish I had the answers...

Yep, and if it turns out that it isn't adequate for ID purposes - which I'm guessing is likely - it's going to make it a lot more dicey during confirmation calls when asking people if they have current ID... And that's just for starters.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/13/13 4:10pm
Msg #484574

And it will be especially confusing if

They look similar in any way to our current DLs and ID cards. Plus, I'm sure many people will naturally assume it's a valid ID, much like many assume the Matricular card is a valid ID. Well, it may be for *some* purposes... but not for this.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 9/13/13 12:48pm
Msg #484504

Just found a link...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/13/us-usa-immigration-california-idUSBRE98C0OQ20130913

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/13/13 12:55pm
Msg #484505

Re: Just found a link...

Oh,brother...

"This bill will enable millions of people to get to work safely and legally...,"

Ooookay... where is the 'legal' part? That they're allowed to drive? They certainly aren't legal by being here and it can't be used to legally obtain work or other services because it isn't a federally approved ID... so, what's the point? sorry, I won't go any further than that without taking it to politics. This is more of the specific issue of will it be a valid ID for notarization purposes? In CA? I'm guessing it probably will. It will be interesting, though, if other states would recognize it as proper ID since it is not a 'regular' driver license/ID card?

Reply by CJ on 9/13/13 1:00pm
Msg #484508

I'm confused . . .

This says it will help people to drive to work "safely and legally". If they are illegal, why do they have jobs?

Reply by apsnltch on 9/13/13 1:27pm
Msg #484517

Re: I'm confused . . .

Good Point!!!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/13/13 1:27pm
Msg #484518

Re: I'm confused . . .

I think the point is that they will have to pass the driver's test, vision test, driving test, that everyone else on the road has to pass.

In the article, it referred to the fact that these IDs would look different and would be labeled for driving purposes only. It stated that Assemblyman Alejo wanted something more discreet that would just say that "the license was not to be used for identification purposes". [That's a quote from the article only, not from the Assemblyman.] It appears that his amendment wasn't approved, but it looks to me like these will NOT be intended for ID purposes.

I hope the SOS offers some guidelines about this and posts something on their website and/or in a newsletter. If they don't, I think we ought to urge them to lobby the legislature to include something addressing this point.

Reply by Stoli on 9/13/13 2:18pm
Msg #484526

Read the Bill

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/asm/ab_0051-0100/ab_60_bill_20130912_amended_sen_v93.pdf

Reply by Notarysigner on 9/13/13 2:24pm
Msg #484530

Re: Read the Bill Thanks n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 9/13/13 2:27pm
Msg #484534

Good Job Stoli:) n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 9/13/13 1:07pm
Msg #484511

Re: Just found a link...

IMO, still clear as mud. According to the link, it may be titled "temporary visitor's driver's license." However, somewhere on this "driver's license", it may also state " ... not to be used for identification purposes." Guess if it's so stated on that license, then we cannot accept it as ID.

Reply by Allegiance Mobile Notary Service on 9/13/13 1:07pm
Msg #484510

It is not considered a state ID.

Reply by MW/VA on 9/13/13 2:12pm
Msg #484524

That's interesting. While I'm sure you all have feelings

about "illegal immigrants" it may be that you'll all be a little bit safer on the road than if there are just unlicensed drivers out there. I'm guessing that's the point here.
Like it or not, you don't have to be a citizen to work in the US. I didn't know until recently that you don't have to be a US Citizen to serve in the military. For some it's a ticket to citizenship, too.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/13/13 2:34pm
Msg #484540

Re: That's interesting. While I'm sure you all have feelings

There's a big difference between being a non-citizen with a legal presence (like a visa or the like) and being here without permission.

I dunno, when I went to live in Brazil for an extended period of time, I didn't just show up and expect to be able to stay there. I had to wait out a rather lengthy and ridiculous visa process first. And once I got there, I had to sit in a very long line at the Federal Police building in Rio de Janeiro and have them grill me in order to get a more permanent ID/registration card to use during my stay. And boy, oh boy...did I have to put up with the police who often stopped and asked for my ID while I was there. Once they could tell I wasn't Brazilian. I got stopped at least once a month for over a year and had my ID checked out, and questioned about my activities...often getting hit on, too. That was weird..because in the states, well, nobody hit on me. LOL

Fun times. Smile

Reply by Stoli on 9/13/13 3:15pm
Msg #484555

But...but...but---This ain't about YOU or YOUR experiences

We all know how it 'should be', but this is California: the land of fruits and nuts.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 9/13/13 3:22pm
Msg #484559

Re: But...but...but---This ain't about YOU or YOUR experiences

So true.... *sigh*

I was born and raised here.... and I love many parts of it. But, it's getting so ridiculous that my family is seriously considering and actively researching a move out of state. It won't happen any time soon, but there are active plans.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 9/13/13 5:37pm
Msg #484595

So getting stopped once a month paid off, eh? ;) n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/13/13 7:06pm
Msg #484620

California is broke - they want money

Folks living here illegally have been driving *anyway* without a license....now the state can cash in on it!

Reply by linda/ca on 9/13/13 8:26pm
Msg #484629

Re: California is broke - they want money

Exactly my thought, LKT; another way to raise revenue. However, many still will not go through the process because of the ole' mighty dollar they will have out of pocket. Insurance, ha!

As far as ID, the original article "did" state that there will be, or should be, something indicating that the license cannot be used for identification purposes, as someone else noted in an earlier post. Of course, next month or so they will probably amend it so that they can be used for ID. Crazy California!
So I guess now we will have to clarify on the telephone if the ID is valid in the sense that we can use it? How many times will someone tell us yes, just to get us to their location, thinking they can persuade use to use it as often is the case already with legal residents, only for us to not be able to use their ID after all? Fun! Fun!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 9/13/13 8:40pm
Msg #484630

Re: California is broke - they want money

I read the law. If I recall correctly, it will have the letters DP on the front, where a regular license will have DL. I guess DP stands for driving privilege. Somewhere, not specified (might end up on the back) it will say the "license" is not valid for federal purposes, voter ID, or government benefit programs.

I seriously doubt anyone thought about the CA law that says a CA driver's license is valid ID for notarizations. So that will throw it in the SOS's court. They always obstruct everything and seek to make life difficult for everyone. So they will either say it isn't valid for ID, or tell notaries they should hire a lawyer to answer the question.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.