Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Would someone who knows a helluva lot more than I do ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 9/10/13 10:53am
Msg #483950

... about apostilles call me or PM me? I'm trying to help an elderly widow friend relocate to Costa Rica.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 9/10/13 11:18am
Msg #483955

I would like to learn more about that myself since I live in the capital. Can people reply in the forum as well?

Reply by Jana Miller on 9/10/13 11:47am
Msg #483964

I do Apostilles in California. In fact I'm getting one going today. I can email you both when I get home later. It won't be until later this evening.
If you want to pm me your emails I will be more than happy to tell you the process. I have companies here in San Diego who do a lot of business overseas and need them done regularly for different documents they use. Its on my website.
Let me know. Thanks..

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/10/13 2:54pm
Msg #484017

You would do the forum a great service to share w/all here. n/m

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 9/10/13 1:01pm
Msg #483977

I'm giving you a link to the LA SOS. It sheds some light on

the process which should be very similar from state to state. It includes a form by our SoS and a list of countries requiring apostilles.

http://www.sos.la.gov/NotaryAndCertifications/Certifications/AuthenticateSignaturesOfLouisianaOfficials/Pages/default.aspx

Reply by Yoli/CA on 9/10/13 1:15pm
Msg #483980

Here's the link to TX SOS

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/authinfo.shtml

Basically, you notarize a document. You take that notarized document to your SOS along with the $15 fee (fee may vary from State to State). They will ask in what country the document will record. If that country is a Hague Convention member, document requires an Apostille. If that country is not a Hague Convention member, document requires Authentication.

Hugh, you mentioned Costa Rica. That country is a Hague Convention member.

SOS will issue staple the Apostille to the notarized document and hand it back to you. If you walk this through the process, depending on how busy the SOS office is, it may take a few minutes or it may take all day. Or, you can conduct the same business via US postal service -- which may take several days.

What the Apostille/Authentication does is verify that the notary public, who has notarized that particular document, is, in fact, duly authorized to notarize.

Hope this helps.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/10/13 10:10pm
Msg #484089

BEST ANSWER n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 9/10/13 1:46pm
Msg #483995

PAW & Sylvia are the authorities on Apostilles. You might

try giving Sylvia a call.

Reply by Jana Miller on 9/10/13 3:30pm
Msg #484023

Just got home, want to elaborate before I leave again....

When you have a document apostilled in California it is a chain of events - authentications & Apostille or Certified.

1. You notarize the documents that are to be apostilled. There are list of docs that can and can't be. Also a list of Hague countries and non Hague.
2. You take those notarized docs to the County clerk so they can "authenticate" YOU as a notary you say you are. They attach the authentication to the document. Try not to unstaple it.
3. BEFORE you send all of the documents off to the SOS you are REQUIRED to do a cover letter that states what country it is going to, if its a Hague or non-Hague country because this will let you know if you are getting an apostille or just the certification, name of document, the amount you are sending, address of where to send back etc. I have a sample for anyone who needs it. I usually send a prepaid Express Mail to them so I can get it back. You put your check of 20.00 in it.
When you get it back the Apostille or Certificate is attached to ALL the documents; Notarized docs, CC authentication and its ready to go.

You HAVE to do the steps in order. Its lengthy but easy. I don't know what other states do besides California.
I'll be back later for more.
Thanks

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/10/13 4:28pm
Msg #484040

Re: Just got home, want to elaborate before I leave again....

Apostilles can now be completed - same day - at the LA SOS regional office, for those within driving distance of the regional office can get same day service. It is no longer necessary to take notarized doc to county recorder for certification. The certification AND the authentication can be accomplished in one shot, at the LA SOS regional office. Therefore, one step can be eliminated. The mail process is the same.

Reply by Jana Miller on 9/10/13 4:48pm
Msg #484043

Yes. Thank you Lisa. I did each step of the request of the company I have been doing for. I don't ask I just do it. And I charge for sure. I think he just wanted to make sure it was all over done or something. But hey he was paying me.

The 5 I did today I am actually driving to Los Angels tomorrow to do it over counter. I charge 175.00 just for the travel fee on top of my other fees. So its worth 5 hours of my time. I don't mind one bit. Especially when my hubby drives. lol

Reply by Jana Miller on 9/10/13 5:04pm
Msg #484044

For non Hague legalization in certain cases you need to have it certified by county clerk. I had to do that for Brazil.
The other times company wanted to see me being authenticated. Even though it was not necessary.

Reply by SharonMN on 9/10/13 3:38pm
Msg #484027

The purpose of an apostille is to make it easy for someone in a foreign country to determine whether a notarization is indeed authentic. As others pointed out, only those countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention accept apostilles. Other countries may have a process that requires you to send the document to their consultate, which is more complicated.

From a notary standpoint, you do not need to do anything special other than ensuring you perform the notarization correctly. Your client can send the document to the SOS to be apostilled and returned, or they may be able to go to the clerk in person and take care of it at the counter. There is usually a small fee either way and the SOS will attach a certificate of apostille to the document. Of course, if you WANT to handle getting the apostille as part of your service you certainly can.

Reply by Jana Miller on 9/10/13 3:46pm
Msg #484032

Exactly.

I just got back from the notary part of some I am doing. He is doing 5 different docs. Its very profitable doing all of the steps for him. I grossed 555.00 today and after fees, travel etc. I will net 350.00. I have done around 14 of them in the last 4 months and never had any problem with the process. I do know what I'm doing by the way. Smile

If you can do them do it. Its really isn't too big of a deal honestly. You just need to know everything that goes into it. I think my fees are the least amount of anyone around here in California.

Reply by John/CT on 9/10/13 6:54pm
Msg #484071

At the end of the day, I suppose, this item is State specific. In Connecticut, an apositillle is handed by the office of the Secretary of the State. Dunno about other states.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 9/10/13 8:08pm
Msg #484079

Handled by SOS in Alabama also n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/11/13 12:37pm
Msg #484178

Re: Handled by SOS in Alabama also

Same in Florida.
But when I do apostille work I am sending the notarized documents off to the Fl SOS for either an apostille or a CNA (certificate of notarial authority) - and sometimes they have sent the wrong certificate back, i.e an apostille when it should have been a CNA and visa versa, which means I always had to call them and send the package back for correction.
If it is an apostille, depends on the country it is going to, then nothing more needs to be done. if it is a CNA then it goes to the US SOS for authentication, and sometimes, again depending on the country, it goes to the particular country's embassy for legalization.

All depends on the country requiring the notarized document.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.