Notary Rotary
valid identification State of Ohio
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2013 Index

Posted by Patricia Sheen on 9/18/13 1:49pm
Msg #484945

A nursing home resident wants to give POA to her niece. Her driver's license is missing and she has no other form of picture ID. Are we allowed to use the birth certificate and SS cards for ID? She is not mobile and cannot go out for a state ID. I don't know her personally nor do I know the niece. This was a referral from the nursing home.

Reply by Clem/CA on 9/18/13 1:59pm
Msg #484948

read the book

http://www.geaugabar.org/notary/NotaryBook.pdf

Reply by Patricia Sheen on 9/18/13 2:56pm
Msg #484964

Thanks for the book. I was looking more for a rule of thumb that other notaries have followed. I've been a strict photo ID type person. According to the book, I have to use my best effort to determine the ID. What do others do?

Reply by VT_Syrup on 9/19/13 7:47am
Msg #485070

I'd suggest the lawyer who drew up the POA do the notarization, since the lawyer probably knows the client well enough to do the notarization. If there is no lawyer involved, there is a large risk the POA will not do what the client hopes it will do, so I would steer clear of the situation. A client's desire to save a few hundred bucks is not a reason for me to be in the vicinity of a train wreck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.