Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

I'm installing a dimmer
Posted by SC/CA of CA on 5/8/24 7:04pm Msg #37048
switch, which I’ve done before, but it’s been a while and I’m a little baffled. I checked online and haven’t found anything definitive, so thought I’d check to see if anyone’s had experience with this.

The situation is that my dimmer-switch wires and junction-box wires don’t match-up exactly. The dimmer has a black wire, a red wire, and a green ground wire. My junction box has 2 black wires (which were previously hooked-up to a toggle switch). Capped off are two copper ground wires and two capped white wires. I kind of remember that it’s okay to do black to red, black to black (as they’re both hot in a light box?)...and cap off the green ground?..but wanted to make sure first.

Neither the instructions nor the manufacturer is helpful, so I’ll be bringing my dimmer into the hardware store tomorrow along with a picture of the junction box. But, on the off chance that anyone has been in a similar situation, thought I’d just check. You never know! :-)

PS - I'm being safe. Power's off. Things are capped. Already got the light fixture installed (looks good!), just want to do the dimmer now :-)
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 I'm installing a dimmer - SC/CA on 5/8/24 7:04pm
 Re: I - Bear900/CA on 5/8/24 9:16pm
 Re: I - Bear900/CA on 5/9/24 12:03am
 Grounding a light switch - Bear900/CA on 5/9/24 12:19am
 Re: Grounding a light switch - SC/CA on 5/9/24 4:58pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.