Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Knowing the bias of a media outlet helps, imo
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 10/20/19 5:52pm Msg #72946
I've heard of Newsy, but have neve looked at it. It's available as a channel on my streaming service, so I wil check it out. Do you know if they have an app?

I've long believed that you have to make a distinction between news and editorial. Every outlet has a bias on their editorial side, but there shouldn't be one on the news side. The news side should be reporting facts without opinion. The best example of the dichotomy between the two is Fox News, where the news side is at war with the entertainment side, a war which led to Shephard Smith leaving the network after 23 years or so.

Journalists have a code of ethics, and most try to follow it. A lot of it has to do with sourcing the stories and how they vet their sources. Many of them have gone to journalism school to learn their craft, and they work hard at their jobs. But now, any kid living in his mother's basement can create a blog and call himself a "journalist", and publish conspiracy theories. Add to that Trump's weaponizing of the phrase "fake news" and applying it to anything he disagrees with or makes him look bad, and the REAL journalists - the ones who know what they're doing when reporting the news - are finding their voices lost in the confusion. Some people take the attitude that since they work for a media outlet that shows a bias on the editorial side, nothnig they say can be trusted.

But facts are facts - they don't have a bias, they just are. If you look at all of the things Trump has said were "fake news", 99% of it turned out to be true. And when they got it wrong, the major media outets immediately admitted it and issued a retraction. How may times has Breitbart or Daily Caller or Infowars issued a retraction when they got something wrong?
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Knowing the bias of a media outlet helps, imo - Moneyman/TX on 10/19/19 5:53pm
 Re: Knowing the bias of a media outlet helps, imo - MikeC/TX on 10/20/19 5:52pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.