Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #36777

3 replies
This must be California
By  Mike Goodey on 1/24/24 10:29pm

A little shake, rattle and roll. 4.2 centered SW of San Bernardino. I was upstairs and it went a good 4 seconds, then stopped, then went again for about 2 seconds. Luckily the water in the pool wasn't sloshing out as it has before.

Msg #36769

5 replies
Hmmm, ponder this.
By  Cheryl Elliott on 1/22/24 4:09pm

Did you know that if you put 100 black ants and 100 red ants in a jar, nothing will happen? But if you shake the jar hard, the ants start killing each other. The red ants consider the black ants their enemies, and the black ants consider the red ants their enemies. The true enemy is the one shaking the jar. The same thing happens in human society. So, before we attack each other, we should think about who is shaking the jar!
Credit: Kurt Vonnegut

Msg #36767

5 replies
Dark Chocolate for Health
By  Yoli/CA on 1/22/24 11:55am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/association-found-between-dark-chocolate-consumption-reduced-risk-of-essential-hypertension/ar-BB1h55cq?ocid=socialshare

Wonder if my doctor would issue a prescription for chocolate for my blood pressure and heart condition?? Does this mean my insurance will now cover the cost of chocolate? And, or does this mean I can now use my purchases of chocolate as a medical expense on my tax returns? Wink

Msg #36764

2 replies
Congrats Mike Goodey!!! Keep on keepin' on!! :) n/m
By Linda_H/FL on 1/21/24 8:46am

Msg #36757

3 replies
About time
By  Mike Goodey on 1/19/24 3:11pm

A grand jury has now indicted Alec Baldwin for involuntary manslaughter in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during the "Rust" movie scenes.
This has the making of a low budget "Who dunnit" film...by the way which "Rust" was. Prosecutors couldn't figure out who did what or when, no one on the crew really tried to help. There were live rounds being discharged between takes and Baldwin, as executive producer, was responsible for.

The FBI tried to replicate what Baldwin stated in the gun firing without him pulling the trigger but had to damage the gun severely to actually make that happen.
Hopefully the trial will start soon in Arizona and not in Southern California, too close to Hollyweird!

Msg #36752

3 replies
"Just a big 'ol slab of tofu" - Huell Howser
By Bear900/CA on 1/15/24 11:58pm

I like corny humor. Oh, you could tell? I can't think of anyone cornier than Huell, who hosted a show on CA public TV called California Gold. He was born and raised in TN and transplanted to CA. He produced a show that allowed Californians to armchair explore parts of the state that we may have never been able to see. People either loved him or....

My wife would leave the room, but then I would hear her laugh listening to him. He was just a big 'ol slab of corn.

Once or twice a year I'll dig up an episode we haven't seen and now we both get our Howser fix.

Here's one from Little Tokyo in Los Angeles at a tofu festival. He starts out disdainful of the stuff until he tries out different recipes and it grows on him. We picked up a few recipe ideas as well.

Here's to tofu...and corn...

http://youtu.be/5vT7GoICYfE?si=-QDDh3qbflCixPYv

Msg #36746

8 replies
NFL playoffs
By  Mike Goodey on 1/14/24 8:06pm

The Dallas Cowboys, one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year, took a beating at the hands of the Green Bay Packers and QB Jordan Love.
You could see the frustration on the face of Cowboy owner Jerry Jones in the 2nd half when his team was down 27-0. The final score was 48-32 but the game wasn't that close except at the end.

Thin skinned Jerry Jones might be looking for a new coach after this loss.(Jerry doesn't take elimination too well).
Looks like the Packers will be playing the 49ers next week.

Msg #36742

2 replies
Interesting
By  Mike Goodey on 1/14/24 12:33pm

Has anyone heard of Virus X? Supposedly it's the latest demon that attacks the vaccines given for Covid. If this is true, tell me these viruses weren't engineered.

Where did I hear this? From an ex -biochemist.
Hopefully he has the wrong info but I do trust him completely and I did get the original two Covid vaccines.

Msg #36736

3 replies
Cough suppressant
By Bear900/CA on 1/14/24 1:12am

Just read Yoli's post below. Glad you're better Yoli!

Took my wife to Urgenf Care last week for what turned out to be a bad cold. They tested her twice for RSV and once for Covid. She tested negative. They said she wasn't contagious but recommended she stay home and rest.

The following day her sister passed on a home-made tea/cough suppressant that worked amazingly well.

She brought a cup of water to boil then added a tablespoon of oregano. Covered it and let it steep for 2-3 minutes. Poured it through a strainer into a cup and added a teaspoon of raw honey. Her cough totally disappeared for two days and she was able to return to work with a facemask just to be safe. Thought I'd pass along.

Msg #36735

1 replies
NFL playoffs
By  Mike Goodey on 1/13/24 10:20pm

The Houston Texans annihilated the Cleveland Browns 45-14 to advance to the divisional round.
In that game the Texans scored 2 pic 6's(interceptions for touchdowns) on consecutive possessions by the Browns. The second game saw the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Miami Dolphins easily 26-7.
There was one nice play for a TD by Miami but it looked like the Dolphins couldn't handle the freezing weather and wind in Kansas City.
There was 9 minutes left in the game and the Dolphins were down by 19 and you would think they would be in a 2 minute offense being down 3 scores but Tuo took his time bringing the team to the scrimmage each play.
Sorry Linda but really looked like your team was too used to fair weather playing and expecting the same KC team they have seen play the last few weeks.

Msg #36728

5 replies
Are you kidding?
By  Mike Goodey on 1/12/24 12:37pm

The Canadian police have put out a statement to the provinces in Canada to not post videos of "porch pirates."
It is in violation of their privacy rights. hUH???
They are trespassing on my property and stealing my possessions! What happened to the rights of the homeowner?

What the heck is going on in this world? Have we all become lethargic?

Msg #36727

1 replies
I read the below article about how a healthy 28yr old
By SC/CA on 1/12/24 12:32pm

survived 6 heart attacks and now advocates for heart health. She has some good tips, as well a link to a quick CPR clip (below) with the hands-on method (chest compression). My husband and I have both taken CPR training classes, but appreciate the refresher provided in the clip, as it increases familiarity and confidence. Some local fire departments, schools, and employers offer CPR classes as well.My Dad’s life was extended countless times by the use of a defibrillator. I used to joke that we should get a defib machine for the house. Not such a bad idea after all.

A Sante! To good health.

http://cpr.heart.org/en/cpr-courses-and-kits/hands-only-cpr

http://www.cnn.com/2024/01/12/style/jude-mabone-miss-america-heart-disease-wellness/index.html

Msg #36724

3 replies
Annual Background Check
By  Yoli/CA on 1/12/24 11:19am

This past Sunday I went into urgent care due to a terrible cough. I'd done a home C-19 test the day before and those results were negative. I had my flu and RSV vaccines in September. The cough had been bothering me for approximately 3-4 days so decided to get it checked. It's viral bronchitis. Doctor said he had to treat me carefully and gently since I'm an Enbrel patient (immunosuppressed). He prescribed Tessalon Perles and 12-hour Mucinex, lots of rest and lots of fluids. When I got home, I immediately notified my signer scheduled for Monday, letting him know the situation and that another notary would be contacting him. I also notified the TC and asked them to reassign.

Monday and Tuesday, I was miserable -- coughing my fool head off, especially at night ... very little sleep at night and feeling completely fatigued; headache started Monday night. (Adding insult to injury, TV in my bedroom went black on Monday; audio worked but no picture. My daughter installed a new smart TV for me on Tuesday Smile ).

So, I've been a little distracted. Yesterday (Thursday), I woke up feeling much better and less of a cough. Then, I remembered ... Oops! My background check expires 1/11/2024. I felt well enough to attempt it (certification exam). Went online, paid $79 for the background check and certification exam and took the exam and passed on first try. Guess I was okay! Smile I called XYZ to find out about the background check and was informed I'd receive an email next day (Friday) to start the process. That email was received first thing this morning and process started.

Recap: My BGC expired 1/11/2024. I started the process for a new BGC on 1/11/2024. Certification exam passed on 1/11/2024 but now I have to wait a few days for my 2024 background check. I won't be getting any signings from many of my valued TCs during this wait. However, (silver lining) this also gives me a few more days for a complete recuperation! Smile

Msg #36709

4 replies
Native Californians moving to Ohio
By  Yoli/CA on 1/6/24 12:45pm

Early yesterday morning, I had a signing with a simply delightful young couple, parents of a 5 and 2 year old. They're both native Californians and have lived here their entire lives.

She just got a promotion which calls for her to relocate to the Cincinnati, OH area. He works construction and can work anywhere. Well ... they decided to make the move. They went to OH for 5 days and, in that time, decided where they wanted to live, he found a job, they found a great school for the kids, they found their dream home and submitted an offer. We signed their purchase docs yesterday and they're moving within the week. They've hired professional movers. Mr. B and a brother-in-law are driving the 2 vehicles. Mrs. B and children are flying.

We talked about the difference in weather. They said they were warned by their realtor about the climate. OMG!! THEY'RE MOVING IN THE DEAD OF WINTER!! Well, they're young. I wished them Best of Luck and God's Blessings.

Msg #36698

3 replies
Would you tip an auto mechanic?
By Bear900/CA on 1/4/24 6:55pm

Of course, not!

"That's crazy. I get charged too much as it is and sometimes the work just isn't done right."
Interesting....

How much do we tip a waiter/waitress at a restaurant that may also be expensive and sometimes provide poor service? It's just customary and we don't want to look like chumps if we frequent the place. They will remember us.

The difference? One service may save our lives, the other, well....

But that's not how we tip. It would just be crazy.

But what if...we came across a really great mechanic, and he/she always did a perfect job and we wanted them to remember us the next time? What if they started treating us special, maybe doing something extra at no charge? Just something to think about. It's possible to happen. Just putting this out there for your reaction.

Msg #36697

6 replies
Speaking of Ringo Starr
By Bear900/CA on 1/4/24 6:37pm

Was listening to Fred Armisen (Formerly SNL) being interviewed on Sirius' Beatle's channel. He is an all-out total Beatle's fan and being a drummer himself, couldn't say enough good about Ringo Starr's technique. Also cool, he was being interviewed from backstage at The Cavern Club in Liverpool where the Beatles started and played countless times. Fred and band were also playing there.

Here's a taste of Fred's drumming:

http://youtu.be/ecYLXfpAz9s?si=jokHVitzR_-SvV7K
What I thought was really cool was when he was asked what Beatles song he felt was Ringo's best effort.

He described Ringo's drumming as "Orchestral" in this, his favorite drum song from Ringo. They immediately played it, and I have to agree. I never really noticed his great drumming. He had an original style all his own that helped make the Beatles.

Give it a minute...

http://youtu.be/usNsCeOV4GM?si=hLSI2rC7D5rJgh4s

Msg #36696

3 replies
That's Vegas!
By  Mike Goodey on 1/4/24 5:01pm

Did you see the courtroom drama in Las Vegas? A defendant asks the judge if he can be set free and be on parole. Mind you he has 3 felonies, numerous misdemeanors and attacks.
He states that he has turned his life around, doesn't do drugs and just wants another chance.
Well the judge does not agree and the defendant leaps over the bench and attacks her, her bailiff and several others before being subdued. What a crock he was trying to pull!

Our good friend Janice went to Las Vegas for her daughter's wedding on New Years eve. The next morning she wakes up to shooting, about 70 rounds! She said it sounded like it was on the floor she was on at the MGM. The police finally arrested the assailant.

Msg #36689

7 replies
We’re watching the Elvis movie (Netflix). Wow.
By SC/CA on 1/3/24 11:42am

The (previously unknown to me) actor who plays Elvis is doing a superb job!! He is very convincing and doesn't over-play it!

It’s eye-opening to me - about his life – as I wasn’t at all aware of the bigotry that Elvis faced, and how it affected his career so directly. I just knew a derogatory term for him was Elvis the Pelvis, and that’s about it! The movie goes into his history, and friendship with BB King (of which I was also unaware). The things I didn’t know! Seeing the movie, it seems that if Elvis were alive today, he could easily be faced with similar bigotry, name-calling, and retribution. As someone who crossed the line of what was acceptable in interracial friendships, and his behavior not being white enough for the color of his skin.

We’re halfway through. It’s a long movie, but it’s completely engaging/entertaining.

Msg #36682

3 replies
What is being taught in Universities?
By  Mike Goodey on 1/2/24 2:16pm

Finally, President Claudine Gay of Harvard is stepping down after the backlash of her rhetoric about the term "Genocide of Jews."
She is also being investigated on plagiarism for articles she wrote. She will stay on just not in her present role.
What do professors teach in higher learning facilities? She and another colleague went before congress and couldn't answer simple questions about the 'Genocide of Jews" remark!
She may be super intelligent but needs some good old common sense!

Msg #36680

6 replies
Had to yank my wife's Costco cc....caution!
By Bear900/CA on 1/2/24 12:02pm

Got a fraud alert call from Citi Bank who issues our Costco cards. Very nice and helpful lady reviewed with me about 20 charges and attempted charges that were not ours. They were all small amounts, one for a cup of coffee at a bistro. Crazy. About half were denied. I suppose the online attempts asked for a zip code or last 4 digits of SS#.

All of this was within the last 5 days, and for everything BUT gas which is all she uses it for. No doubt a card skimmer placed on the pump. Can only imagine the number of card numbers that were ripped off.

Keep an eye on your charges especially over these last two holidays.

Bah humbug!

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.