Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Camping anyone?
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 9/19/17 12:46am Msg #29395
I spent my corporate life staying at some of the best digs around the country. A few years back I realized how much I missed camping and fishing, something my dad was good about spending time doing with us. He used his USMC service experience teaching us how to survive outdoors and made it fun.

So I got the itch again, though I'll admit it is harder these days sore knees and all, it's worth it and surprisingly Mrs. Bear is really into it. We camped off and on in our earlier years. Now we Glamp:

Comfy cots with memory foam pads rolled on top. Marmot sleeping bags that we slept on top of last trip. Ceiling fan and overhead light. Pads for news and NR! Eight foot fold-out kitchen including a kitchen sink, full cabinets and spice rack. Buddy heater and all the fancy gear. People gawk.

To keep it real I still use a white gas Coleman stove and lantern that's brighter than anything else.
We had some friends show up early to cook breakfast, in my kitchen, stay all day, hiked, had wine and played cards, cooked dinner and sat around the fire then left late in the evening. They have a trailer but enjoyed coming over for the day and just hanging out without the hang-ups of hauling a trailer.

Nothing like cooking dinner overlooking the cliffs at Big Sur with it's crashing waves, lighting a fire at morning and night, warming coffee over a fire pit grate, cooking Tex-Mex burritos wrapped in foil on top of the coals, playing cards and enjoying a nice bottle, listening to the sound of nature, viewing sunsets. You can look out a window and see it, but you won't feel it. When we camp with friends who are trailer people, they spend all their time cooking and hanging out in our site, often out late with us star-gazing, cooking smores and telling stories.

We have learned to set-up and tear down camp rapidly, have more than the essentials for surviving the zombie apocalypse, or a hurricane, with food and gear we can carry in our cross-over van. It's a good life. Going back!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Camping anyone? - Bear900/CA on 9/15/17 2:51am
 Re: Camping anyone? -  Yoli/CA on 9/15/17 7:57am
 I have never camped in my life...... - notarydi/CA on 9/15/17 8:18am
 Re: Camping anyone? - Lee/AR on 9/15/17 8:48am
 Re: Camping anyone? - FGX/NJ on 9/15/17 3:04pm
 Re: Camping anyone? -  janCA on 9/15/17 6:37pm
 Re: Cold Spring Tavern - Bear900/CA on 9/15/17 7:06pm
 Re: Cold Spring Tavern -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/17/17 11:22am
 Where's Huell Howser when you need him - Bear900/CA on 9/20/17 2:08am
 Re: Camping anyone? - HisHughness on 9/16/17 12:37pm
 Re: Camping anyone? -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/17/17 8:32am
 Re: Camping anyone? - Bear900/CA on 9/19/17 12:46am
 Re: Camping anyone? - Like, Like, Like! n/m -  Amigoaz on 9/19/17 8:11pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.