Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

How would you handle an overpayment?
Posted by  Yoli/CA of CA on 5/1/24 1:46pm Msg #648353
This is primarily for newbies.

I had a signing last week that cancelled the first day due to numbers not being correct and then being rescheduled for the following day. On day one, I expected to receive a trip and print fee only.

Today, I get the e-check and it's for $125 more than expected for the entire invoice for that assignment (2 trips). I called SS and inquired. He said that e-check is for last week's assignment and the one for (name, in Newcastle) in March that he hadn't yet paid. Okay, thanks!

It didn't sit right with me. Did I miss invoicing for an assignment? I always generate an invoice regardless of whether a hiring party requires it or not -- just for my records and really helps at tax time. I reviewed that SS's customer statements in my bookkeeping program. Sure enough! That name was signed in Newcastle in March ... of 2022 ... and SS paid my fee that same month. Called him back and advised of my findings. He was very appreciative of my honesty and ethics. By the way, he's the same way. While on the phone with him, I rejected the (overpayment) e-check on that system and he immediately turned around and paid my invoice by credit card in my bookkeeping program.

Some people would argue that I should've just taken the e-check and not questioned it. That perhaps it was just a gesture of goodwill. Personally, I had to discern the motive. If SS wanted to give me a bonus, so be it and THANK YOU. If not, well let's find out and work it out.

Reputation is everything in this business. Smile

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 How would you handle an overpayment? -  Yoli/CA on 5/1/24 1:46pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - Bravo on 5/1/24 4:20pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? -  JanetK_CA on 5/1/24 4:36pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - SteveS/CA on 5/1/24 6:28pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - VT_Syrup on 5/1/24 7:36pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - Leo_FL on 5/2/24 7:23am
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/2/24 10:45am
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - desktopfull on 5/2/24 2:21pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - pdl/cali on 5/5/24 8:05pm
 Amen! n/m - Alz on 5/14/24 8:19pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? - Bear900/CA on 5/5/24 10:17pm
 Re: How would you handle an overpayment? -  Tammy Stephens on 5/14/24 1:43pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.