Notary Rotary
Fee Question for PA Notaries: Gas Leases and Amendments
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by CommLoanPA on 4/22/10 8:31pm
Msg #332940

I'm located in rural southwestern PA and have been contacted to travel to residences to acknowledge landowner's signatures on gas leases and amendments. Although I've been reading about notaries being asked to acknowledge without appearance, this company understands that personal appearance is required which is why they need a "mobile" notary. I'm considering setting my fee based on a per hour basis based on actual travel and signing time but hoped that I could get some feedback from notaries who are experienced with leasing.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 4/22/10 9:07pm
Msg #332945

What a great opportunity. Congrats on getting the business.

I don't have any experience in this area so I'll hold off making any suggestions - except to say this: don't sell yourself short. Make sure an hourly rate is really in your favor. I wish I had more to offer.

Reply by Jayhawk/KS on 4/22/10 9:19pm
Msg #332949

Re: What a great opportunity. Congrats on getting the business.

I did some easement work for a company a couple of years ago. I had to get signatures from people, thus meeting them face to face, then had to go to the courthouse and file the easements. Email me and I'll tell you what fee I got for each one of these.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 4/22/10 9:44pm
Msg #332954

Congratulations!

In Connecticut there are fewer opportunities than in Pennsylvania, but I've done some of these kinds of notarizations. Follow your state's law regarding notarization fees, then add realistic charges for mileage and time. CT law, for example, says $5.00 per notarization. The IRS says $0.50 per mile (in 2009) is what it COSTS to run a car. How much per hour is your time worth?r (Only you can answer that rhetorical question.)

Remember, you're in business to make a profit and _stay_ in business. If you charge too little, you'll loose money and (deserve to) go out of business. If you charge too much, your customers will find somebody else. Do not sell yourself short!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.