Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
General rule for general notary work-travel fees?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Lynne/OR on 4/28/10 8:12pm
Msg #334051

Is there a general rule for what travel fees to charge a customer? In oregon we are allowed to charge $10 for each notarization, but I'm still unsure as to what to charge people for my travel. I've read on here that some people won't charge less than $50 for any type of notary work, yet I have a really hard time charging that much for someone who, for example lives 5 miles away and just needs a POA notarized. I know it's different for every state, but in this hypothetical situation, what would you charge? Thanks for any suggestions/imput!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/28/10 8:16pm
Msg #334052

We get $10/notarization too - in your example, 5 miles away, $25-$35 and they provide witnesses.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/28/10 8:29pm
Msg #334054

I have a nearby public place (Starbucks - about 2 miles away) where I do most of my general notary work. I charge a low $10 fee to meet people there, plus the cost of the notarizations. People always have the choice for me to come to their home, which is $25 for my home zip code, or $50 for in my neighboring zip codes. People almost ALWAYS choose to meet me at Starbucks.

It's a win-win, because it keeps my fees competitive and I can usually combine the trip with something else I have to do, such as pick up something from the market, go to the bank, or buy gas.

It's amazing how those little trips can add up to some nice pocket money.

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/28/10 8:38pm
Msg #334055

First, you must follow your state's laws. Some are quite specific about mileage/travel fee; some aren't. If allowed, factor in your time. Only you know what that's worth. Question them pretty intensely before agreeing.... have valid photo ID, witnesses needed are their problem, etc., etc. And always discuss total fee (or how it's calculated) before you agree or go. And be prepared for a lot of really strange requests that you won't be able or even want to do. And don't laugh unless you mute your phone.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/28/10 8:54pm
Msg #334056

And don't laugh unless you mute your phone.

Try not to snort either! That is true, and funny! ROFL

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/28/10 9:16pm
Msg #334059

Me similar to Copperhead

The Starbucks is on the corner, 3 mins from my house so I don't charge for travel if caller will meet me there. Otherwise, fee starts at $10 for my city and increases for other cities. Also, any fast food restaurant near you makes a good meeting place - McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, In & Out Burger......I've met customers at most all of them.

Reply by PAW on 4/28/10 9:33pm
Msg #334062

I figure travel time and mileage based on "reasonable and customary" for service professionals. For example, if you know what an electrician or plumber charges just to come out, then it gives you and idea. I charge a minimum of $10 travel within my hometown. The further out, the higher the travel charge. I maintain a spreadsheet showing the travel fee to each zip code and/or town in my area. Takes into account travel conditions as well. For example, for me to go to a nearby zip code, which is only 5 miles away as the crow flies, but is 20 miles away because there is a state forest between them that has to be circumvented.

You may want to see how other OR notaries calculate their charges, to maintain the "reasonable and customary" policy.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/28/10 10:46pm
Msg #334078

Hi, Paul. I've always hated the "usual and customary"

policies - but that's another room.

I maintain each is our own ship here, sailing that Notarial Sea.

That's why I don't post my fees. So many variables, so many circumstances.

JMHO

Reply by PAW on 4/29/10 7:15am
Msg #334095

Re: Hi, Paul. I've always hated the "usual and customary"

I agree to a point, Susan. Here in Florida, the Department of Finance, they manage and license all professional businesses, or at least are supposed to, provided some policy guidelines concerning travel fees. Terms like "what the business will bear" was purposely left out and "reasonable and customary" was used. When asked to define the terminology, the Dept of Finance says that when it investigates potential abuse, they will try to determine what similar businesses use as their model in any given area. This establishes the "reasonable" part. The "customary" part comes from historical records showing that the same charges were assessed over the course of time. While the healthcare industry typically uses the "reasonable and customary" model, it is applicable to our industry, and just about every other service industry, as well.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/28/10 9:57pm
Msg #334067

You got lots of good advice here, but each person has difference circumstances and has to figure this out for themselves. (Besides, we aren't allowed to "price fix".) PAW's suggestion about comparing to other service providers in your area makes particularly good sense to me. (No surprise there... Wink)

One other suggestion. I've learned that it's a very good idea to advise them in advance that the travel fee applies whether or not you are able to complete the notarization. Regardless of what you ask them about in advance, you're still likely to run into problems. Examples: document is not complete (even though you told them it needed to be); ID is expired (even though you told them it needed to be current); the name on the document is not all on the ID (even though you told them it needed to be); or the person signing isn't really as competent as you'd feel comfortable with (even though you told them they needed to be).

You need to be tactful in dealing with this or they will just call someone else, but otherwise you could find yourself wasting lots of time.

Reply by PAW on 4/29/10 7:30am
Msg #334096

Letting the consumer know the fees up-front is mandatory in a successful business model. To do so is actually stated in the Florida Governor's Reference Manual for Notaries (pg. 9): "If you charge fees for other services not directly related to your notary services, you should provide your customer with an itemized list of charges beforehand."

It's not necessary to provide an exact dollar amount to the consumer, but a cost estimate is always appreciated and my reduce misunderstandings down the road. Of course, there will always be the variable costs which must be addressed. Such as, the notarization fee (allowed by statute) which is often based on a single act. Therefore, it should be expressed as such. That is, "The fee will be $xxxx based on x number of documents. Each additional document will cost $xxx." This is especially helpful when the consumer says he only has one document (such as a Power of Attorney), but there are 3 'originals' that must be signed and notarized.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/29/10 9:56am
Msg #334122

>>>This is especially helpful when the consumer says he only has one document (such as a Power of Attorney), but there are 3 'originals' that must be signed and notarized.<<<

Kind of off topic but this is one of the instances where the Florida "$10.00 per stamp" fee doesn't make sense to me. If the person has three copies of the same document and wants all three of them notarized, I would only "take" *one* acknowledgment and make one journal entry notating that the document was executed in triplicate. (This of course, only applies when I actually *KNOW* that each copy is the exact same document). So IMO to charge $30.00 for this would not be fair, because I was only performing ONE notarial act - I took one acknowledgment, checked ID one time, and made one journal entry. I just happened to affix my seal three times. On the other hand, if I am notarizing a will where I take the acknowledgment of the testator and the oaths of two witnesses, I am executing one certificate but I am doing 3 notarial acts, ID'ing 3 people and making 3 journal entries. For that amount of work I think $30 would be more reasonable.

I know it is what it is, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Reply by PAW on 4/29/10 10:14am
Msg #334124

I submit that you may not know what constitutes a notarial act (in Florida). The act consists of a sequence of steps which culminates in the preparation and execution of the notarial certificate. Therefore, in the first case scenario, the act of taking an acknowledgment is performed three times as evidenced by the three notarial certificates, even if the documents were identical. In your second scenario, it is, imo, a grey area since you are taking three acknowledgments (one step in the process - three times) but only completing one certificate (the final step in the process - one time). So, is it three acts? Imo, yes, I agree, but the SOS correlates the affixing of the seal and execution of the certificate as evidence of an act, so it would only be one act.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/29/10 10:26am
Msg #334128

In the will scenario, these are truly 3 separate acts. I am taking one acknowledgment, administering two oaths, ID'ing three people and completing three journal entries. The same goes with any document requiring more than one signature. If a husband and wife appear before me to acknowledge their signature on a deed, I am not taking one acknowledgment, I am taking TWO acknowledgments, and completing two journal entries and ID'ing two people. But, I am only completing one certificate.

I know that it is $10 per stamp, but I can certainly see why many would think it is $10 per signature.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/29/10 2:53pm
Msg #334189

It is whatever your state laws determine it is. Period. n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/29/10 3:40pm
Msg #334199

Our laws are not clear on the matter.

Laws say, we can charge $10.00 per notarial act. Notarial act is NOT defined by Florida Statutes. IMO, one notarial act = one journal entry = one per signature, regardless of # of certificates completed by the notary. The SOS has interpreted "notarial act" to equal the execution of one certificate. What the SOS says is not law, it is their interpretation of the law. This is not to say I go against what the SOS says, but I think they are wrong in this respect. That's my opinion.

BTW - the laws in Florida also require that the notary's seal be a rubber stamp. The pre-inked stamp I bought on Notary Rotary is not made of rubber. It's a "flash" stamp made of some kind of foam. Does that mean notaries who use NR-made notary stamps are in non-compliance with statute? The statute does clearly say that the seal should be a rubber stamp. The statute also says that the seal must include the words "Notary Public-State of Florida" joined by a hyphen. A good 85% of notary seals do not have the phrase stated in that manner, including the ones they sell here on NR. Does this mean that notaries who use stamps who say "Notary Public" and "State of Florida" in separate places not joined by a hyphen are breaking the law?

Sorry for the rant. I think that the SOS should not be allowed to make interpretations without an Attorney General opinion. But that's just me.

Reply by PAW on 4/29/10 8:02pm
Msg #334222

Re: Our laws are not clear on the matter.

First, the law states, "... shall be of the rubber stamp type and shall include the words 'Notary Public-State of Florida.'" It does not say that is has to be a "rubber stamp", but a rubber stamp TYPE.

Second the law states that the WORDS need to be included. Last time I checked, a hyphen is a symbol, more specifically, a punctuation mark, not a word. So as long as the words appear on the seal, the notary is good to go.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/29/10 8:20pm
Msg #334223

Further, the manual states on page 9

the same, then gives 2 illustrations of said stamps. Neither illustration, called "Samples of Notary Seals" has that punctuation mark, the hyphen, but the wording is shown.

Robert - do you know the meaning of "is"?

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/28/10 10:39pm
Msg #334076

All due respect to the board, but the whole discussion

about "general rules" for our individual fee structures, I find counter-productive to our abilities to compete in this open market.

This goes beyond "lowballers" vs. "good payers" in that the old hands have done the hard work of figuring out each personal bottom line; each personal circumstance; each personal choice; each marketing research and development; each careful evaluation of the big picture - each hard lesson learned.

To be blunt? The question of your hypothetical is going un-answered by this poster.

There is so much invaluable information on this forum to read. Others will direct you to the Search Button - it takes some getting used to, but easy enough. The experience and lessons go back years, so prepare to read and read and read. There's a beginning, the Message, I forget the number, that will help you tons.

Best of luck!

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/29/10 11:44am
Msg #334142

Re: All due respect to the board, but the whole discussion

<<<All due respect to the board, but the whole discussion about "general rules" for our individual fee structures, I find counter-productive to our abilities to compete in this open market.>>>

While Lynne asked about a "general rule", she understands that it's different in each state and asked "What would you do?" She didn't ask, "What *should* be done?", she asked, "What would YOU do?"

All who responded offered what *they* would charge....I don't see anywhere where anyone wrote what *should* be charged. Each person spoke about their own experience and offered ideas. That's what I gleaned from the discussion.

Reply by Janice Bennett on 4/29/10 12:45pm
Msg #334157

In Florida, our statute says that the standard charge for notarizing a document is $10.00 per document. I have charged $10.00 for a single document if that is all I do and the person comes to me. BUT when I work with a signing company and they ask me to have a mortgage modification signed and notarized, I usually get no less than $35.00. If I have to drive any distance, I ask them to pay $50.00. Since there is more involved with having to drive to the person's house and then Federal Express the document back out, you should charge more. I think it depends on how much time and effort that is involved.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.