Notary Rotary
How do you handle "time off?"
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 4/30/10 1:53am
Msg #334239

I've been swamped lately. I don't know why/how but I've been super busy. A high class problem for sure, but I'm exhausted and need a few days off. Every time I take a day off I end up spend the day answering phone calls to say I'm not available.

It seems rude to just let calls go, or send them to voice mail. I've considered leaving a voice mail message with the date and explaining that I'm taking the day off but accepting appointments after XXX date, but it seems like schedulers never leave messages, so I wonder if they listen to voice mail messages.

I guess my real question is what techniques you're using to manage time off and balance peace and quiet with responsiveness to clients?

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/30/10 2:26am
Msg #334240

I send directly to VM with a short Vacation msg with return

info. Also,on my Notary Rotary info, I post a Vacation notice with return info.

Then, I change my email to Vacation response, with return info.

If I'm leaving town? That's a whole other checklist. (There's a great thread about Vacation Tips, sorry I don't have the msg #, try 'Search'.)

Vacations are well-earned, and we shouldn't be shy about taking them.

Hope that helps.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/30/10 4:57am
Msg #334243

Great idea Susan

Reply by Julie/MI on 4/30/10 7:08am
Msg #334248

I have to laugh as when I started this venture 10 years ago, I didn't even have a cell phone, in fact, if I stopped doing closings, I'd get rid of it.

However, even though I've gone on vacations, I always change the roaming to international, and take my phone, for two reasons: 1. I bugs me that my local competition will get my work and undercut 2. I want to have appointments when I get back.

There were a couple of times, that I let my brother keep my cell phone while I went on vacation and he answered "Julie' phone" and scheduled/explained on was on vacation, or he took the appointments himself. I had horrible reception in Yellowstone and should have left it with my brother!

So possibly you have someone that could be your secretary while you are gone....

Reply by CF on 4/30/10 7:24am
Msg #334251

It is a tough call. Some of my schedulers will leave me a message and some will not. I end up answering about 90% of calls while on vacation. I want my schedule to be full when I return....so that is why I answer. I do put a "out of town" message on my cell phone and will also do an auto-reply on my email. Point in case, I was gone the 1st week of April....the phone rang off the hook. I think it was left overs from March. I ended up loosing about 10 good orders....however, I answered most of those calls and we able to book 5 other appointments for my return.

Answering the phone for me if pretty easy....I like talking to my regulars! If you leave the outgoing message that you are on vacation for a couple of days then they will understand if you miss the call. It never fails for me that while I am out of town....I loose a ton of business. Oh well, you have to take a break every once in a while.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/30/10 8:00am
Msg #334255

I do put vacation mssg on my cell and email however if I'm available I'll take the call so I have work when I get back. I do let my regular clients I'm taking a couple of days off.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/30/10 8:29am
Msg #334260

I don't leave messages...just field the calls as

they come in - it's a result of my husband's paranoia - he doesn't like leaving messages on answering machines that give anyone a hint that the house is empty...

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/30/10 8:48am
Msg #334264

Re: I don't leave messages...just field the calls as

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. If your profile has your address listed on it (mine doesn't) then you wouldn't want to advertise that you are out of town. Just a safety precaution. I'm sure we all remember the story about the guy who posted on FB that he was going out of town and when he came back home he found that his house had been burglarized.

You all are blessed to get so many calls that this is even an issue for you. My phone has barely been ringing, and the calls I HAVE gotten have all been for the same day and time with no flexibility! GRRR!

Reply by SharonMN on 4/30/10 11:15am
Msg #334308

Re: I don't leave messages...just field the calls as

You don't have to say you're out of town - just leave a message "I will not be available for notary assignments from May 1 through May 5. Please leave a message and I'll return your call as soon as I am able." They don't know if you're sick, taking care of family issues, out of town, or just taking a few days to sit around and watch soaps.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/30/10 9:11am
Msg #334268

Many of us learned that time off is essential in this

business to avoid burnout. First, I never plan anything around EOM. 1st week of the month
is the best time for a break, usually. I let my "regulars" know when they call me that I will be away from xxxx to xxxx. Otherwise, because I'm in a highly competitive area, I don't leave a
"vacation" voicemail. I still answer the calls, explain that I'm out of town for a few days, will be back on xxxx date, and will be glad to accept assignments as of then. It's a tough call. I used to worry a lot about missing the business. Things have slowed a lot now, and I'm going to enjoy the summer months this year, regardless, and have several things planned.
Enjoy a well-deserved break, Jessica. You're the boss & need to give yourself permission to take the time off.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/30/10 9:52am
Msg #334288

First of all enjoy your break as mentioned. I try to network with notaries in my area so if I'm going out of town for a short period I will call and ask them if they would be interested in fielding any calls I may get. If the answer is yes, I will give that recommendation to my regulars. It is the professional thing to do and they will appreciate it as a courtesy on your part and they will be assured an experienced notary. Who knows, you just may be recommended by them when they go on vacation.
A phrase I like to use in cases like this, "make sure you have the money and not, the money has you!"

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/30/10 11:28am
Msg #334312

I do a combination of what others wrote. My "time off" is scheduled in my calender as an appointment. I always answer my phone because the caller may not necessarily need to meet that day, but in a few days or next week. If I am unavailable for the day and time a caller wants, then my response is, "I'm booked" or "my calender is full".....no one ever knows where I am or what I'm doing. I have notary colleagues (who answer their phone too) and offer the caller their phone number.

I never immediately say I'm booked, I ask the caller what day and time they'd like to meet. In half the cases it's for a future date. If not, I have notary colleagues and offer the caller their phone number. They do the same for me when they cannot meet with a customer.

My calls never go to voicemail...I answer. People want to call a business that answers....not get a voicemail or menu to wade through. They want a human who answers. I get repeat customers because they know I will answer or they know if I cannot meet with them, I will refer them and assist them in getting their notarizing completed.

No one should ever know where you are or what you're doing as it is none of their business. I suggest you say to callers, "My calender if full" or "I'm booked during that time."

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/30/10 12:13pm
Msg #334321

Wonderful suggestions EVERYONE Thank you so much! This really helps me.

I was looking forward to EOM and having a few days to work on other projects while waiting to schedule next week but after the 28th, I actually got busier (how, why?). I tried to take a sick day today and a regular client called and "pretty pleased" me and I relented to "one little refi near home." I'm a sucker, and I hate to disappoint or leave a favorite client feeling stranded.

But you're right, I want to keep the backlog full, so want to be taking my calls and scheduling, without risking my sanity.

I'm trying to voice mail and email responder this weekend with a note that I'm scheduling for Monday and beyond with lots of availability. I'll check VM's 2x a day and get back to requests.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.