Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Settlement
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 9/27/13 2:25am Msg #486199
Perhaps way more than reasonable. My guess is that it was a seller's package. Most of the ones I've seen have numerous notarizations, in spite of the small size and unless it's a short sale, REO, etc., the sellers generally want to scrutinize every line. Many companies will pay $100 for a seller's pkg.

Just a heads up to anyone who doesn't already know better... when a scheduler starts putting a heavy emphasis on "it's only XX pages" (in the ballpark of what the OP was talking about), it's time to start asking lots more questions. The number of pages doesn't tell the whole story.

This reminds me of an old story my dad used to tell. (It's clearly a very old story and I think I've posted it here before, but it's been a long while. Wink)

A man calls a TV repairman to his home. The repairman shows up, opens the back of the TV, twiddles around for a minute or so, then says "I found your problem. It's a broken wire." He takes another couple of minutes to fix the wire, then tells the homeowner "that will be $100.00" The homeowner has a fit, saying he was only there for five minutes and the wire couldn't have cost much. The repairman replied, "That's $.50 for the wire, and $99.50 for knowing where to find it..." [I've updated the numbers a bit... Wink]

Mike, don't sell yourself short - or second guess yourself. To get your commission in CA, you had to pass a background check and a written exam, and meet several other requirements. You have some expertise (assuming you applied yourself beyond a one-day class and you know your business), and that should be worth something. Plus, $100/hr to a self-employed person who pays his own SE taxes, buys his own equipment, supplies, insurance, etc., etc., isn't the same as being paid $100/hr in wages or a salary. Not by a long shot.

It may be more difficult to not fall into that trap during the tough times, but it's not impossible.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Settlement -  Mike Goodey on 9/27/13 12:31am
 Re: Settlement -  Doris_CO on 9/27/13 1:02am
 Re: Settlement -  JanetK_CA on 9/27/13 2:25am
 Re: Settlement -  HisHughness on 9/27/13 5:48am
 Hishughness- I do these all the time also. I charge - ananotary on 9/27/13 10:10am
 Re: Settlement - Lee/AR on 9/27/13 5:55am
 Janet is absolutely 'Spot On!' Overhead expenses are . . . -  Christine/OK on 9/27/13 6:29am
 Agree; Gem of a book! Keep it on my desk at all times. :) n/m - ananotary on 9/27/13 10:11am
 Re: Settlement -  101livescan on 9/27/13 9:06am
 Re: Settlement -  Mike Goodey on 9/27/13 9:41am
 Settlement call yesterday, offerred $75 - Darlin_AL on 9/27/13 9:48am
 No cheese- your price points are fine. n/m - ananotary on 9/27/13 10:13am
 Assuming you're talking about a Structured Settlement, -  MW/VA on 9/27/13 12:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.