Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Taking on associates
Posted by Marazz/AZ of AZ on 9/22/14 7:19pm Msg #515787
Also be very careful about training someone, because of taxes and unemployment insurance requirements (which can vary by state).

When you are training someone it's very hard to claim they are an "independent contractor" because of the very nature of what is going on. If that person doesn't pay their taxes and the IRS gets a whiff of what was going on they can come after you for the money and fine you etc.

If your training arrangement goes bad you might also find yourself discussing unemployment with the state; I know someone who spent several years paying off a claim after a trainee filed for unemployment. They had a verbal agreement that the trainee was a contractor but this did not stand up with the state when push came to shove.

There also is the matter of liability, if they screw something up when you are training them who would be liable? Would your E&O cover acts of a trainee?

This is not the kind of business where people are required to do an apprenticeship so I'd pass on the opportunity to train someone.

I also question how ethical it might be, we're in a down cycle and who knows how long it will last? Anyone just getting into this business now might be in for a rough ride. If they're semi-intelligent, willing to research and learn on their own they don't need a mentor. And if they aren't intelligent and ambitious enough for that they aren't going to make it through a down cycle anyway.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Taking on associates - ZoeyOR on 9/22/14 4:45pm
 Re: Taking on associates: do not! - sheltn on 9/22/14 5:08pm
 Re: Taking on associates -  JanetK_CA on 9/22/14 6:38pm
 Agree with Janet_CA wholeheartedly. No personal experience, -  Christine/OK on 9/22/14 6:42pm
 Re: Taking on associates -  Go2NotaryLLC on 9/22/14 7:04pm
 Re: Taking on associates - Marazz/AZ on 9/22/14 7:19pm
 Re: Taking on associates - LKT/CA on 9/22/14 7:48pm
 Re: Taking on associates -  Ilene C. Seidel on 9/22/14 8:58pm
 Re: Taking on associates -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/22/14 10:35pm
 Re: Taking on associates -  Frances Kany on 9/23/14 8:35am
 Not a good idea, IME. I've mentored other -  MW/VA on 9/23/14 11:08am
 NO! This is not Tupperware or Skinny wraps - Julie/MI on 9/23/14 7:48pm
 I forgot - Julie/MI on 9/23/14 7:49pm
 Great recap, Julie/MI. n/m -  Christine/OK on 9/24/14 4:43am
 Re: Taking on associates - ZoeyOR on 9/23/14 10:48pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.